Any advice on Hobby 600 welcome (1 Viewer)

I

Indalo Man

Deleted User
Dear all

I am just about to buy our first MH. Having trawled the websites for as much info as possible, based on our budget and lifestyle requirements, we are very smitten by the Hobby 600. We are looking to buy 2nd hand and will probably travel to German from Spain where we live, as there appear to be a wider selection of LHD as a whole there and certainly more Hobby's. As I havent seen any reviews or comments about this make and model I would welcome ANY comments, advice, thoughts or experience anyone has these MH's, anything on reliability, cost of parts, defects, or anything anyone has encountered. The more info the better and at the moment, I am finding it hard to get any feedback. They look great and seem good value, and for what we want which is weekend trips and the odd week travelling Spain they seem fine for the 2 of us and our dog ! Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Dear all

I am just about to buy our first MH. Having trawled the websites for as much info as possible, based on our budget and lifestyle requirements, we are very smitten by the Hobby 600. We are looking to buy 2nd hand and will probably travel to German from Spain where we live, as there appear to be a wider selection of LHD as a whole there and certainly more Hobby's. As I havent seen any reviews or comments about this make and model I would welcome ANY comments, advice, thoughts or experience anyone has these MH's, anything on reliability, cost of parts, defects, or anything anyone has encountered. The more info the better and at the moment, I am finding it hard to get any feedback. They look great and seem good value, and for what we want which is weekend trips and the odd week travelling Spain they seem fine for the 2 of us and our dog ! Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

Hi there

Not got a hobby, but just done lots of research for buying new and they came in my short list of vehicles.

Eventually went for Rapido because I got everything I was looking for technically also in the layout of the vehicle.

Hobby, Hymer and Burstner were all on my short list.
Unfortunately I only had one English to look at, but that didn't come up to muster.

Good luck in your hunt.

It's good fun, take it easy and don't rush into any " bargains "

I always say, rush in and repent at leisure.

Any queries if I can help, drop a mail

regards Spud and Patricia

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Dear all

I like Hobby motorhomes too - very stylish and practical with it, such a shame you can only get them on Fiat chassis, couldn't cope with all the (well documented) problems...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I

Indalo Man

Deleted User
Hi Vava1

What sort of problems have been experienced with the Fiat chassis ? This is just the sort of tips / background that is really helpful so any info is appreciated.

Many thanks

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hobby are known for excellent build quality

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As Road Runner say`s Hobby have superb build quality`s, finish is second to non, imho.::bigsmile: I had a 750FMS and had no problems except one electric window motor burnt out, in all the time I had it, and towed a 4 wheel trailer behind with a micra type car on all over the continent.
As with all these type`s and by way of the shape of the bodywork, they do seem a little clostrafobic,, (dont think that is spelt right).:Doh:
There is one on the market that is using a ford instead of the Fiat..:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a Hobby 640 on a Fiat Ducato chassis.. It is now 20 years old and apart from oil changes and normal servicing stuff it has not had a penny spent on it and had not one thing go wrong.
We was on a site near yarmouth a few months ago and was amazed to find just about every motorhome on the site was of a similar age and type to our own..
Managed to chat to a few folk and got the same story from everyone..
As someone who earned a living on the spanners for a long time I simply do not understand why folk knock the Ducato chassis.. It is simple, solid and reliable old style technology

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
We have a 2005 Hobby 750 FML which is a tag axle model. We are really pleased with it ::bigsmile:
Build quality is excellent.We have a large lounge and kitchen area.There is lots of storage plus a good payload, which enables us to carry a scooter on the back. In the 18 months we have owned it we have been to France 3 times, Germany once and Belgium once (we've just arrived back home on Sunday) plus many weekends away in the UK.
We have had no problems what so ever with it. We would definately recommend Hobby :thumb:

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Vava1

What sort of problems have been experienced with the Fiat chassis ? This is just the sort of tips / background that is really helpful so any info is appreciated.

Many thanks

Late Fiat Ducato models are well (do a search) known for:-
  1. Reverse gear judder - some cases so bad it shatters the gearbox!
  2. Water ingress to engine compartment - supposed to be cured by dealers
  3. Weak transmissions/gearboxes
  4. Poor traction in wet (front wheel drive)
  5. Cam belt failure
  6. Etc. Etc. - do a search!
[/LIST]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I also like the styling and quality of the Hobby, have admired them for many years and at one point considered one for fulltiming.. well built with good quality materials and nice attention to detail but sadly not enough storage space or payload for our needs.

Rapido are also stylish and very popular in France but cannot comment on their durability.

flyboy

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi we are in Spain - Peniscola at the moment, we have a Hobby 7500 with a tag axle and loads of extras leather interior it is a 2000 model left hand drive. We are looking to sell it while we are here as we are moving into an apartment. Looking for 30.000 Euros if you are interested. Pictures are available on request.

blazezak

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Banff Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hope you have more luck than me , I bought a hobby 750 flc new 2009 , just back from our first holiday with it after 3 returns to the dealer to have various repairs done ( read my posts ) just took it back to the dealer , this time both batteries went flat ( had to run jenny for nearly 2 hours to get the van battery up (( with the aid of booster )) to get started again ) used awning for the first time ( it tore ), catch broke on drawer ( had to listen to banging till able to pull up and jam with heavy boxes to keep it closed ), various other catches coming off lockers etc. got to take it 200 mile round trip to have the gearbox checked ( juddering in reverse ) habitation door catch broke again , met another 750 owner on the motorway services and he has similar problems ( he bought his in germany and is going back with it soon ) , sorry to seem such a downer about the Hobby,s ( have I just been very unlucky ? ) .
By the way ... HI KIETH FROM CRESSFIELD , was on your site and was going to visit on my second day there but you had gone away in your van .
Good luck with your motorhome hunting and do take your time to think .

all the best

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
Hobby Motorhome owner

Hi Indalo Man,

I bought my Hobby 650 AK FSC model in August 2007 (10 months old) from a hobby dealer name of Thein in Shcnweinfurt in Germany, it is a LHD 6 berth on a Ford transit 125 350t chassi. I would say that the hobby is a good value middle of the road qualitiy motorhome, but what makes them better value is if you want a LHD model and you are prepared to put in some effort ( I went to Germany by Ryan Air to view and then went back the next weekend to collect and drove it back home), the importing is easy. You can use the website mobile.de to check avalibilty, my recomendation would be to have the Ford Tanny chassi. If you would like more info ask pls.
Cliff

trab

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
CORK, IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Hobby 650 AK KLC on Ford Transit

Hi All,
I am interested intrading up a few years to a 2006 Hobby T650 AK KLC. I shall be making a 700 mile round trip to view this van and need to ease my concern about the power house it uses. It is a low milage motorhome ( 6k ) built on Ford Transit driven by a 2.0 litre TDCI engine ( 135 BHP ). It is a 6 berth and similar in size to the Adria which I currently own. The Adria is driven by a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD built on a maxi chassis. I have been pleased with the power / torque offered by the Fiat.

Can anyone help me compare the Fiat 2.8 JTD and the Ford 2.0 TDCI ( 135 BHP ) from a performance point of view. I have no knowledge of the Ford power house and am concerned that it would be found lacking.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Trab 006 Ford Transit Hobby T650 AK KLC - 6 BERTH

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
We have a Hobby 650 (I think) on a transit chassis and taken it in places in Iceland and Morocco that you should never take a front wheel drive 7 metre motorhome. Only major trouble has been losing the ignition key code in the middle of Morocco due to a bad engine battery connection (no major problem thanks to ADAC), losing a bit of paint on narrow British roads and partly ripping the back skirt off on washed out river crossings (60% overhang doesn't help). Duct tape matches the grey trim so I have a built in failure point for when it happens again (total of four times so far).

Three out of the four wheel valve stems failed within a week on the last trip to Morocco and apparently that isn't all that uncommon. Cheap wheels and maybe higher pressure than standard.
Pump suction line froze up when wildcamping at -7C due to poor placement hard against the uninsulated wheel arch - now fixed.

Construction quality and facilities are good and I have no complaints about driveability of the transit at speeds ranging from 130kmph on good roads to extended first gear trips on some very bad gravel roads that most owners wouldn't even dream of driving on. Minor things breaking like external door hooks are the normal problem of crap components fitted by the thousands to all brands of motorhomes, not just the Hobby.

We like the two "double" beds as us both trying to get a decent night's sleep in just one bed would make it impossible to spend the five months at a time full-timing that we do.

Bought it 18 months old and about 15000km in Germany.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back