LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We had a 6m Globecar Globescout for 3 years from new (sold it 5 months ago). If I were wanting another van I would have the 5.4m Globecar without any hesitation at all !!

Almost the same space but just a little smaller (if that makes any sense!). The fixed double full length bed is 4 inches narrower (no probs with that) and there is no wardrobe (useless anyway, used the old half length one for storage with shelves in). The only down side is the electric only fridge but for short trips or big solar panels no real issue.

I think that in practical terms the 5.4m is more driveable, easier to park, and (surely?) must have a better turning circle that the 6m van which is just plain bonkers wide turning circle!

Space is compromised a little but the smaller Globecar still has a 'garage space' under the bed, still has 4 seat belts and still can accommodate 3 people sleeping with the single conversion of the dinette.

Of course space in a PVC will always be a compromise but to be honest if 5.4 m is tight then so would 6m be!

We travelled all over Europe in ours, often away for 2 or 3 months at a time. If you want 'lounge space' then stay at home in the lounge (!) but if you want adventure then buy a short PVC (y)

I am planning to look at the Globecar Roadscout (540) next and have high hopes. The electric fridge doesn't bother me so much now having read a few threads about the pro's and con's. Not needing levelling devices (space+cost) for the places I'm likely to go and not worrying about malfunctions etc. is good. (y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It sounds like we are looking for very similar vans. I went to see the Pilote V540 Foxy van today and was a little disappointed. Maybe I expect too much from such a small thing. However the hand shower, lack of mains at the sitting area and lack of ventilation in the shower / toilet have counted heavily against it. I believe there are upgrades coming for 2017, but it's not rushed to the head of the list as it is. I too have high hopes for the Westy, maybe it will fit my eye better as I'm more of a function over form sort of a guy? Can you remember anything specific that put you off?

I can only see 6m Dreamers (D58) at Highbridge, however I suspect that if a Westy seemed cut price then the Dreamer will appear Poundland ;)

Interested in what you said about tambour door washrooms, we are quite enthusiastic as the first two 540 vans we looked at didn't have them (Weinsburg Carabus 540 +1) and had TINY washrooms, like so tiny we couldn't turn around in them and we are not THAT big lol.

The impression that the Westy Amundsen 540 left was more campervan than motorhome. The conversion looked built to last, but it didn't have the "wow" factor of the Columbus 600 (not available in 540 version, but I might be wrong). In its favour is the solid washroom door. I might seem biased against double tambour doors, but I am sceptical about the longevity of such bendy plastic materials, and suspect that eventually the door may get stuck or jump out of its track. I bet replacement will be expensive.

Thanks for drawing attention to tiny washrooms! We are so awestruck by the possibility of having a washroom in the next van that we have overlooked trying them out for size!

I know what you mean about the plain Dreamer appearing Poundland - well, since they also sell them in Sweden it might be appear Ikea to some customers.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am planning to look at the Globecar Roadscout (540) next and have high hopes. The electric fridge doesn't bother me so much now having read a few threads about the pro's and con's. Not needing levelling devices (space+cost) for the places I'm likely to go and not worrying about malfunctions etc. is good. (y)

The compressor fridge is what I am used to and having read so many posts about problems with the absorbtion fridges plus the need for servicing the gas bits I will keep it simple and stick to the fit-and-forget compressor technology. Rapido / Dreamer fit them and provide 2 leisure batteries. As long as it keeps the beer chilled I'm happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The impression that the Westy Amundsen 540 left was more campervan than motorhome. The conversion looked built to last, but it didn't have the "wow" factor of the Columbus 600 (not available in 540 version, but I might be wrong). In its favour is the solid washroom door. I might seem biased against double tambour doors, but I am sceptical about the longevity of such bendy plastic materials, and suspect that eventually the door may get stuck or jump out of its track. I bet replacement will be expensive.

Thanks for drawing attention to tiny washrooms! We are so awestruck by the possibility of having a washroom in the next van that we have overlooked trying them out for size!

I know what you mean about the plain Dreamer appearing Poundland - well, since they also sell them in Sweden it might be appear Ikea to some customers.

Thanks again for the Westy info. (y) I suspect that all the smaller versions suffer a little from budgetising ;) and downsizing. There just isn't the room for some niceties and people expect to pay less too.

I sort of take what you mean with tambour doors, I can see they'd probably need lubed from time to time to keep them from sticking. Plastic is pretty strong these days though and doesn't tend to get brittle or warp the way it used to. I can imagine replacing a de laminated wooden door costing more and being more likely, but maybe neither are really likely. Sliding door fly screens however - have seen two bust already - use two hands is the advice!

I think we have seen the Adria twin, Vantana V55, Foxy Van and Carabus so far of the 5.5's. Dreamer, Roadscout, Knaus and Westy still to go. :)

EileenG

Free Member
Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Still looking.
I just wondered if there were any owners of recent (under 5 year old) vans on here e.g. Adria Twin 540, Dreamer d42/43, Roadscout, Boxlife/Boxstar 540, Pilote v540, Westfalia Amundsen 540. If so, I wondered how they rated them, whether they are happy with the one they bought or thought another might be better?
We bought a 5.00m Wildax Pulsar with a great spec and loved it. However the double bed was a night mare to erect quietly & the readout panel far too complicated to operate so sadly sold it. Now looking at 5.4m (Single Beds) campervans: Devon Colerado, Autosleeper Symbol, Vantage Cub & East Neuk Fifer with clever layouts to accom. s. bed lengths.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We bought a 5.00m Wildax Pulsar with a great spec and loved it. However the double bed was a night mare to erect quietly & the readout panel far too complicated to operate so sadly sold it. Now looking at 5.4m (Single Beds) campervans: Devon Colerado, Autosleeper Symbol, Vantage Cub & East Neuk Fifer with clever layouts to accom. s. bed lengths.
Hi,

We downsized from an A class Hymer to an ENC Fifer M last year, if you have any queries on the Fifer M give me a shout and i'll answer if I can.

Pete

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
II really need 2+1 berth, 3 or 4 belts and a separate loungette / bed, which is why I've not got those on my list. Storage boxes are new to me so I'll look into them :)
I wonder if 2+1 berth might be a big ask, unless the third berth is for VERY occasional use? And perhaps for a small person?

We've got a longer Rapido pvc, but assembly of the third berth is somewhat Heath Robinson. The salesman couldn't fathom out how it worked and gave up...

I believe the arrangement is exactly the same in the 5.4 m Rapidos and Dreamers.

One problem is the extra chunk of mattress you need to carry, when you're already tight for space.

We have removed some of the fittings and the mattress, because fortunately they're not required for us. But obviously can be reinstated.

So if it is important, check out any third bed arrangement carefully to see how practical it is.

I'd like a 5.4 m van, but Mrs mikebeaches insists it wouldn't work for her. :unsure: She's very happy with 6.4 m. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide. (y)

Oops - edited because just spotted the thread is 5 years old... doh! :oops:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We’ve got a 5.4 2017 Symbol and it has everything we need,we had to buy new Isabella chairs which fold up really flat and they fit inside the back doors.After downsizing from a Autotrail 696G we didn’t realise how much gear we carried that we never needed,storage is limited so now we try and carry just what we need.😎

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past!

We bought the Globecar Roadscout and have been immensly happy with it. The build quality (touch wood) is great, the use of space is amasing (including 3rd bed). If I had to be picky the step down from the fixed double bed is a bit high and difficult to locate at night, the diner seats could have been an inch wider and plusher. It's a keeper though for us - who says you can't pick the right van first time ;) :hugs:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We had the Devon Colorado, the kitchen area was a good size and the washroom was ok however, although it looked right on paper and even looking at it in the flesh, when we used it we found that the compromise of turning the front sofa and single seat on the opposite side into the bed meant that the swivelling chairs were of no use unless facing forwards as there was no leg room when facing into the van. The bed was certainly a massive double although transverse and the only place to store bedding was over the cab and under the seat.

I slept on the side of the bed nearest the seats and being the one who has to get up in the night for the loo it became just too much of a pain to wake Mark up, move both dogs, who slept in the gangway between bed and backdoors, and their beds then use the loo, put dogs and beds back and scramble back round Mark into my space.

We found the settee wasn't that comfortable and the seats didn't make a very comfortable mattress either.

We also had a Hymercar Ayers Rock (5.4m) with a rear transverse bed, it was a very small double but the storage was excellent underneath it and there was no nightly bed making. We don't need a lounge as well as a fixed bed and dinette and find the captain's chairs very comfortable for sitting and relaxing and if I want to lounge then I'll go and sit/lie on the bed.

We sold that one last year and are now currently between vans although we have ordered another PVC.

Aug 7, 2022
Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
Hello, you extremely knowledgeable people. Please can you advise my wife and me on the following?
First campervan. 30k budget max.
5m too short, 6m too long.
Our online research: 5.4ish is what we would like. 4 belted seats essential. Ability to sleep 2 singles essential.
Love Autosleeper Symbol es (not older models that sacrifice overhead lockers for small horizontal windows) and Autosleeper Dorset es. This type of layout is exactly what we want.
PVC and not coach built.
Are we missing other manufacturers who produce this campervan layout at 5.5m maximum? Oh, the Romahome R30 is too short, even though it meets most requirements.

Any guidance/pointers greatly appreciated.

Best regards Al.

Aug 7, 2022
Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
Also love the layout of the 5.4m long Autosleeper Nuevo es (I think up to 2006, after that they are 5.6/5.7m) but don't want or need over cab bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back