Ants (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Not sure where to post this but we were in France just recently and were invaded by Ants. Eventually we worked out that they were coming in via the spare hole in the external satellite point- a lump of bluetack stopped that.
The odd thing is that the satellite cable enters close to the 240v cable but when watching later, they would not walk up the mains cable, only the satellite one??
I just wonder if they can detect the AC field off the mains cable?
Has anyone else noticed such a thing

Mike & Ann
PS it days to eliminate the critters from inside the van, they had found my sweetie store so the rule is always check you Fruit Pastilles before eating them!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We had one small branch touching the roof for the night while in Croatia.... we woke up to what seemed like millions of them all over the van..... it took weeks if not months to rid them completely....
When opening lockers have a vacuum in readiness to suck up the blighters....

We found this kills them instantly.....
image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They've walked up our hook up cable before so I doubt if they can detect magnetism, more likely the cable touched the ground in a handier place for them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thanks all, puzzled why they chose only the satellite cable.
Block magic from Lidl sorts 'em good and proper.

Thanks, Havent seen that, is that the right name for it?
I wonder if they were all following an earlier chemical route- at least I think that how they work.
Anyway will make sure the cables are sprayed each night
Just remember to check your sweeties before you put them in your mouth!

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Many years ago we arrived late at Kims Camping , Llafranc so they overnighted us on the basketball pitch. I woke up tired and a bit confused...muttered to the wife that I felt as if there were crawly things on me went back to sleep. When I woke properly there was a huge army of ants travelling from the floor onto the bed, across my chest and up the wall to the food lockers. Millions of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spotto

Free Member
Nov 14, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
since 2010
.......snip
The odd thing is that the satellite cable enters close to the 240v cable but when watching later, they would not walk up the mains cable, only the satellite one??
I just wonder if they can detect the AC field off the mains cable?
Has anyone else noticed such a thing

snip....

An ant from a particular colony/species lays down a very slight specific scent trail wherever it goes. it means it can return home afterwards, perhaps with food, and repeat the trip if necessary. The second ant from the same colony which comes along will usually follow the first scent trail.... and lay one of its own on top. Then ant No 3 comes along and.... well, you get the picture. Eventually there is a really strong smelling favoured route, irresistible to the ants, and the whole gang will keep following it in the hope of finding food there. The more food, the more ants it will attract and the stronger the pull gets. All you need do to put them off the scent (sic) is to interrupt the scented run by washing or cleaning it or otherwise disrupting the route somewhere along its length.

Always a shame to kill them if we don't need to.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why are you worried about ants? Are they bigger than you?

Which is a variation of a remark once heard on a drill square when a wasp threatened to upset the composure of those on parade.

"Stand still! You're bigger than it!"

Closely followed by the advice.

"If you move I will tear off your arm and beat you about the head with the soggy end."

Probably wouldn't be allowed now in the days of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings". :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back