Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,
Which type of antifreeze is suitable for winterizing the MH, I want it for the truma heater/boiler and the hot/cold water etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
well, there are special antifreeze for water systems, but frankly, I think it would be unwise to put any anti freeze into drinking water systems..

It will be difficult to remove every last drop without blowing out and flushing several times.. more work than simply draining down ..

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How do you go about draining the truma boiler then ?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

They normally have an automatic frost protection drain valve on the fill line under the boiler that drains it when the ambient drops to about + 3c .

It can operate manually by lifting the knob, to keep it open use a clothes peg.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
There should be a valve that looks like the attached picture in the water inlet ( It may be some distance fro the boiler). Lift the lever and the boiler will drain.

Lunarman

Attachments

• truma drain valve.jpg
    truma drain valve.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 30
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009

how thats for coincedence. names glyn [just one n ] and i have a 705 allso !! and you dont see to many do you ?

re draindown all we do is open both the tank drain valve and lift the hot water drain tap in same compartment.i have found that opening the taps in centre position allows air in and allows all water to drain out. havent had any problems doing it this way

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
We were discussing this in an RV shop---------They do not like antifreeze in the boiler as it (should have) an annode rod inside, the antifreeze is corrosive and will attack it--------so, drain boiler and isolate it, then antifreeze rest of system if you wish (RV potable antifreeze)
Nigel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
We were discussing this in an RV shop---------They do not like antifreeze in the boiler as it (should have) an annode rod inside, the antifreeze is corrosive and will attack it--------so, drain boiler and isolate it, then antifreeze rest of system if you wish (RV potable antifreeze)
Nigel

agreed Nigel...you can buy a boiler bypass system (fitted for life) which is a series of valves/taps and pipes to temporarily bypass the boiler for winterizing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They normally have an automatic frost protection drain valve on the fill line under the boiler that drains it when the ambient drops to about + 3c .

It can operate manually by lifting the knob, to keep it open use a clothes peg.
Slight correction if I may
The auto valves normally Push Down to drain and Drop Down when freezing is imminent +3c and cant be re set untill the temp reaches +8c
The peg trick is to stop it dropping, ie hold it up in the closed position when you don't want it to drain automatically
At least all those ive come across work that way
Geo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The auto valves normally Push Down to drain and Drop Down when freezing is imminent +3c and cant be re set untill the temp reaches +8c
The peg trick is to stop it dropping, ie hold it up in the closed position when you don't want it to drain automatically
Geo

Add that to LunarMan's lift up valve and that's what we have.

Glad of this thread, I drained down and had forgotten the manual lift up valve. Now sorted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Slight correction if I may
At least all those ive come across work that way
Geo

senior moment .. :Doh: thanks Geo..

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There should be a valve that looks like the attached picture in the water inlet ( It may be some distance fro the boiler). Lift the lever and the boiler will drain.

Lunarman

Where exactly will it drain to ?.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And draining the taps etc ? any good tips.
Yes Glynn,

Switch off the 12v power to the pump, and then open the taps as previously mentioned, to allow air in and water out. Once all water is drained from the system, close the taps, then you can operate the 12 sytem again, without burning out the pump.

Some systems have inline drain taps to asisst with draining off.

I wouldn't recommend the use of an antifreezing agent either.

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes Glynn,

Switch off the 12v power to the pump, and then open the taps as previously mentioned, to allow air in and water out. Once all water is drained from the system, close the taps, then you can operate the 12 sytem again, without burning out the pump.

Some systems have inline drain taps to asisst with draining off.

I wouldn't recommend the use of an antifreezing agent either.

Regards,

Jock.

How's that going to empty the pump and the pipes to them , not to mention the shower. Surely it needs blowing out also ?.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
How's that going to empty the pump and the pipes to them , not to mention the shower. Surely it needs blowing out also ?.
Are you taking the urine by any chance? :winky:

Empty fresh water tank, and hot water tank, open all taps including shower tap, and any inline drain valves. Any remaining water in the system................drains to ground, outside of the vehicle. If you drain down properly, you won't need to blow out with compressed air.

Pending what toilet flush system you have, you may have to drain down the flush tank too.

Hope this clarifies things for you. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any remaining water in the system................drains to ground, outside of the vehicle.
Jock.

Or not as the case may be. I worry that because of the use of flexi pipes it would be all too easy to get a high spot trapping water.

I think a blow job may be a good idea. What man doesn't, but I've never bothered to date.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Or not as the case may be. I worry that because of the use of flexi pipes it would be all too easy to get a high spot trapping water.
Hence leaving open all the drain valves Brian. That way, should any water be trapped and freezes, it is able to expand without creating pressure on any of the connections.

Regards,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back