Antidisestablishmentairianism (1 Viewer)

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
well as I already had a generator that I kept in my work van why would or should I have to go to the expense of fitting a solar system, apart from the fact that I have very little spare room on my roof we probably only rally or go to sites with no hookup less than half a dozen times per year. with our charging system using the genny the batteries need no more than an hours charging at most.
I also wonder if it's the same people that moan about generator use that tend to sit outside their vans yapping shouting and laughing half the night without any consideration for their temporary neighbours, after they have been playing swing ball all day.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
It should also be remembered that generators are needed to charge up mobility scooters. These take hours to recharge even using 240 volts at home.

So if you have a disabled person parked near you remember they may be extremely aware of the noise and how long the genny is running for however for them it is an essential need not a luxury.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
solar panels will not charge up duff batteries thatswhy i have a genny wen i was in Portugal wild camping in the most beautiful place with the most spectacular views and me leisure battery packed up then no amount of solar panels would have helped me but a genny would have and i wouldn't have had to leave the place for ehu

[HI]what is wrong with ... 250 watts solar panel ,2 x 110 amp batteries and a 1500 watt inverter[/HI]

nothing same as there is nowt wrong (so long as used at right times) a genny :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
That's totally different to having one running all day, which sometimes happens.

Although some run them for luxury, there are more people now running generators for hours due to necessity ......................

It should also be remembered that generators are needed to charge up mobility scooters. These take hours to recharge even using 240 volts at home.

So if you have a disabled person parked near you remember they may be extremely aware of the noise and how long the genny is running for however for them it is an essential need not a luxury.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
HHHMmmmmmmmmm, I see another money making venture looming.

An overshot waterwheel, connected to a generator, powered by the grey waste running out of the back of the MH.

Mostly silent and 50/50 on the environmentally friendly.

Orders being taken now !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm a live and let live kinda gal, you don't come to a fun rally with 100 vans on site expecting a quiet weekend. Yes there are gennies in use here that are not causing a problem BUT the one this post refers too is. And unfortunately we are parked very near it.

To me it comes down to simple manners, if you know you are going to need to run a VERY NOISY SMELLY genny for hours at a time, site yourself upon arrival with a bit more consideration for others.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
An overshot waterwheel, connected to a generator, powered by the grey waste running out of the back of the MH.

So this poisonous nasty smelly grey waste is running out on to the ground killing countless endangered species, polluting the water table, causing a slip hazard and putting people off their food.

But it let's 'er indoors dry her hair, so that's alright.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Some folk just can't adapt to a frugal lifestyle. They are probably the ones filling with water on a daily basis too.

Trouble is they see 2000W inverter and immediately think "I can use my microwave" but don't consider the input side of the inverter. And then there are Hair Dryers. The curse of MHs.

Last year at Chester we had to run the engine on Sunday because it was freezing and the heating was on all the time. So I gave it some thought and fitted a 100W solar panel. This year, 2 months in the van, we've only used hook up to conserve gas because getting it was a problem in Morocco. One battery and sunshine was plenty for us.

It is often said that car drivers should be forced to ride a motorbike first to get the full picture of survival skills. Maybe all MH owners should live in a tent first to learn frugal.

True , we like "rough it" too :winky:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
[HI]So this poisonous nasty smelly grey waste is running out on to the ground killing countless endangered species, polluting the water table, causing a slip hazard and putting people off their food.
[/HI]
But it let's 'er indoors dry her hair, so that's alright.

That's about the size of it, but to be fair I only claimed it was about 50% environmentally friendly, as it will not deplete the ozone layer !!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
generators and camping go together if it's if they feel that badly abut it give up camping and book with Tomas cook :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Fer chrissake folks !!

This thread is reminiscent of the "dark side":Doh::Doh::Doh:

Live and let live......else get yer handbags out and do a bit of car park counselling !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
generators and camping go together if it's if they feel that badly abut it give up camping and book with Tomas cook

Nope, they don't. Man managed to live for milleniums (in and out of mobile accommodation) before electricity was even discovered.

If you want wall to wall electricity then book into a hotel (using any Thomas you like).

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We spent many years in tents, even single person tents up the sides of mountains and anywhere else you can think of. We've had caravans too, slept in YHA dorms and under a plastic sheet on Hastings beach.:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

So, we bought a motorhome because we don't need to rough it anymore.
Anyway, we need to run the genny to power the new karaoke machine.........

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If 240v electrics and camping go together, maybe book with the Caravan Club. :RollEyes:
I don't use a generator but I don't care who runs one near to me it has never bothered me
and if sum have the need to run one and that's the way they manage to enjoy there holiday so be it if peeps don't like it they can always move
:thumb:

OP
OP
micky drip

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Me and several others have now moved or gone home to escape the noisy RV leaving them all alone to play with their Genny

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just a thought but has anyone actually gone and asked the person to not run it or see if he has a problem

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
doubt they have paul maybe hoping they will read it on here and turn em off
bloody live and let live if it bothers ya move :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Me and several others have now moved or gone home to escape the noisy RV leaving them all alone to play with their Genny

RV, I don't think you mentioned RV before.

Good old USA, say "frugal" there and you risk imprisonment for being anti-American.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Actually at least 3 people including myself have spoken to them..
We have moved, as have all the vans around them.

So if any of you live and let live, genny loveing funsters want to come to Chester there is plenty of space available.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

is the mobility scooter on a 12 volt battery ? .

The 240 volt charger on my mothers scooter is a floating charger ( bit like an optimax ) charging about 5 ma, so it takes hours to charge but we can charge it on the normal MH 12 volt charger or even through the Solar Panel ( the regulator has a take off point to charge items separate to the MH battery ).or you can use a conventional charger using a small inverter ,

Quiet and quick .

Hope this helps :thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is the mobility scooter on a 12 volt battery ? .

The 240 volt charger on my mothers scooter is a floating charger but we can charge it on the normal MH 12 volt charger or even through the Solar Panel .or via a conventional charger using a small inverter ,

Quiet and quick .

Hope this herps :thumb:
mobility scooters are all 24volt. the tiny ones have 2x 10-15ah batteries. the larger ones have 2x 60-100ah 12v batteries. the chargers that come with them are generally 4amp, so it takes several hours to charge them. my largest scooter with twin 100ah batteries has a charger with a theoretical maximum output of 8amps. therefore can take 10 or 12 hours to put a usable charge in and up to 18hours to fully charge

if i was to disconnect the batteries from the delicate electronics of the scooter and wire together in parallel i could in theory charge them using solar panels. however i need to use the scooter in the daytime when the sun is out. or i could only get out every second day. therefore if i have not got ehu available i need to run the generator for several hours a day. mind you, i keep it inside a van trailer so its reasonably quiet:thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Actually at least 3 people including myself have spoken to them..
We have moved, as have all the vans around them.

How can anybody be so antisocial? If anybody came to me and asked me to turn something off that was too noisy for them I probably would. And if three did I definitely would.

Live and let live works both ways, doesn't it? It does not mean "I have the right to live the way I want to and you and must let me"!

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
GENERATORS I feel urgent action is required to save bad feeling amongst Funsters.

Chester 2014.
I asked for a quiet, no generator area. Then Jim after putting us quite close to the toilet generator, the next day then popped the largest rig on site right next to us. When the their on board generator woke me this afternoon I just asked them to turn it off and they did. Thanks.
I gather other good folk have had more problems.

Whilst this was intended to be a general post re generators I noted that Camperfest Rule 10 says they are Banned ! Wording is a little ambiguous but I it appears it's Ok just for the on site provided ones for EHU, lighting and toilets and others banned.

After we had problems at Wrenbury I've always asked for a pitch away from the generator brigade. I was amazed at Chester there were at least three running near the centre of the Fun pitch. I would suggest that to save bad feeling between any Funster friends that there should be two areas.
1: Funsters
2: Funsters Generator area, 50 mtrs away. (including members who run their vehicles engines for charging)

Why should the majority of happy Funsters have their peace and fun spoiled by the few who want to charge scooters, bikes, curl hair, run microwaves or are to tight to buy a 12volt TV etc., especially when electric hook up is available.

I gather Generators have been a long term problem, I hope it can be sorted soon.
What are other Funster thoughts?

Last edited:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
mobility scooters are all 24volt. the tiny ones have 2x 10-15ah batteries. the larger ones have 2x 60-100ah 12v batteries. the chargers that come with them are generally 4amp, so it takes several hours to charge them. my largest scooter with twin 100ah batteries has a charger with a theoretical maximum output of 8amps. therefore can take 10 or 12 hours to put a usable charge in and up to 18hours to fully charge

if i was to disconnect the batteries from the delicate electronics of the scooter and wire together in parallel i could in theory charge them using solar panels. however i need to use the scooter in the daytime when the sun is out. or i could only get out every second day. therefore if i have not got ehu available i need to run the generator for several hours a day. mind you, i keep it inside a van trailer so its reasonably quiet:thumb:

it seem to be a regular problem charging mobility scooters from 12 volt systems , would one of these help ?

Broken Link Removed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Chester 2014.
I asked for a quiet, no generator area. Then Jim after putting us quite close to the toilet generator

If Jim put you near the toilet generator why didn't you move or ask the marshalls for a new position?

, the next day then popped the largest rig on site right next to us. When the their on board generator woke me this afternoon I just asked them to turn it off and they did. Thanks.

Most people will run gennys if they need to in the afternoon/evening rather than the morning, so that they dont wake others who are sleeping in the morning.

Whilst this was intended to be a general post re generators I noted that Camperfest Rule 10 says they are Banned ! Wording is a little ambiguous but I it appears it's Ok just for the on site provided ones for EHU, lighting and toilets and others banned.

I hope at Camperfest they provide charging points or EHU so that people with disabilities who use mobility scooters are able to attend otherwise there could be a case for possible disability discrimination

After we had problems at Wrenbury I've always asked for a pitch away from the generator brigade. I was amazed at Chester there were at least three running near the centre of the Fun pitch. I would suggest that to save bad feeling between any Funster friends that there should be two areas.
1: Funsters
2: Funsters Generator area, 50 mtrs away. (including members who run their vehicles engines for charging)

Why should the majority of happy Funsters have their peace and fun spoiled by the few who want to charge scooters, bikes, curl hair, run microwaves or are to tight to buy a 12volt TV etc., especially when electric hook up is available.

I dont think I have ever known a "peaceful" fun meet and much as I appreciate your comment where electric hook up is available, at most motorhome shows there is not an EHU option

I gather Generators have been a long term problem, I hope it can be sorted soon.
What are other Funster thoughts?

For years we never owned or used a generator. Now we use our honda genny to charge mobility scooters when needed, when no EHU is available. Apologies in advance but when this is a necessity I would hope that I wasnt made to feel an outcast by those around me and that funsters would be understanding. I must say that so far Funsters have been understanding and we havent had any problems or complaints.

Just because I may need to use a genny once or twice over a weekend I do not see why I should have to be parked in a generator use area where people could be running them all day and all evening. Its like being sent to the "naughty corner"

Taking this further, there are funsters who party and chat well into the night and others who go to bed early so do we need further areas for this?

Do we need further segregation for those with rowdy children, those who have babies who cry during the night disturbing others and those who hate children? The segregation list could grow rapidly.

We have excellent Marshalls on fun We cant have them welcoming funsters to meets then requiring each motorhomer to start their genny to see how noisy it is and then determine the best parking place for them.

Our fabulous Marshalls have a tough job looking after everyone without trying to put friends next to each other and working out which motorhome should be parked where to meet everyone's individual and varying requirements.

Personally I do not think there should be any such segregation and that most funsters are sensible people who, if they dont like where they are parked, can either move themselves to another spot or ask the Marshalls for another parking place.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it seem to be a regular problem charging mobility scooters from 12 volt systems , would one of these help ?

Broken Link Removed
in theory that would allow you to charge a 24v scooter but it would be very inefficient, much like a 240v inverter. it would pull more out of the van battery than most solar panel installs could cope with. without solar panels it would simply flatten the leisure battery/s long before it charged the scooter

plus without fans and other cooling, that particular supply would quickly burn out

thankyou for the thought though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back