Antidisestablishmentairianism (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I quite enjoy going to parties, try to play the guitar, actually own a Swift, eat plenty of meat, like intelligent dogs and love my 6 grandchildren so where does that leave me? :Doh: :ROFLMAO:

There's no hope...........

.......can you accompany me on southern gospel songs at the local temperance meeting?:winky:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The owner was wearing ear defenders to start it up Oh Please!

I think this bit, along with Jim's assessment of how noisy it, was sums it all up. I suspect all of us are tolerant to some genny noise some of the time. But I am not surprised there were complaints about this one. Well OTT by the sound of it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If I can sit and watch tv or read a book while elaine talks for a hour and not hear one word :ROFLMAO:
A genny is no problem:Doh:

Your all mad I say life too short
Well mine will be if elaine reads this :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I find the problem solved by taking traditional methods, used for many years by ardent travellers. o_O

Get a very long piece of flex, and hook up up the nearest lamp post. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With modern alternators putting out around 70 Amps ,it will charge up the batteries in no time whereas a Generator will take hours to do the same . :thumb:
Common misconception: the alternator will output around 14.5 volts and the battery will draw current to charge. In all probability no more than 5 amps after the first few minutes. To do better requires a battery-to-battery charger or similar. To put any sensible amount of charge back into the leisure battery will take hours (or days!).

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Common misconception: the alternator will output around 14.5 volts and the battery will draw current to charge. In all probability no more than 5 amps after the first few minutes. To do better requires a battery-to-battery charger or similar. To put any sensible amount of charge back into the leisure battery will take hours (or days!).
I had a battery like that once.......but i just got rid of it:rofl::rofl::rofl:

WalterRv

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
B+ Class
Exp
fairly new
Kids play, babies cry, adults BBQ and party and quite a few old ones nap most of the time. That is the reality of life. Go out to a restaurant and you can be faced with constant baby crying and toddler shouting. That is just how it is. If someone is running a generator, then I assume that there must be a need for it. To be able to buy a very quiet generator is out of the pocket for most people, I would have thought, so power output and cost are the prime importance. Most noise levels are measured at 7 metres and not many events give you 7 meters between vans, so you are going to hear the generator when it is running. So a so called quiet generator plated at say 65db, is going to be more like 80db next to you.

Yes, there is no excuse for the dimwit that puts the thing next to your door and faces the exhaust in your face, but I would think that is quite a rare event. I just think this thread has got out of hand. People often have little choice when buying a generator and are just happy to be able to get some form of mains. Not everyone knows what they are buying either, until they have the thing.

Everyone has an opinion on what the neighbours generator is used for, but do they really know? Charging batteries is an obvious one, but how about charging disability scooters or electric bikes, or running the microwave of electric oven? That cannot be done in a few minutes and certainly not by running the clattery diesel engine, that some people seem to think is better. Most people seem to expect that everyone lives like they do, or they should do. Well, they do not and they do not need to. Whatever anyone says, you cannot recharge your batteries in a few minutes and running the engine is pretty futile too. If you have one small battery and hardly use the thing, then okay, but what about those who have bigger batteries or several tied together. They need a good couple of hours charging, to do anything useful. Some people use their batteries a lot, because their lifestyle requires it, so they need to run a generator too. Not everyone has most things running on 12 volts either, so they run an inverter to get mains power and that flattens batteries pretty quickly. So we all have, live and use things differently.

Surely MotorHomeFun is about having FUN, not moaning incesantly about an issue that could be sorted within a few replies. I just see no solutions being put forward, just more rants. "I do this..." "I do that..", so the implication is that everyone else should too. Well they do not and they are not able to, due to the way they live and the equipment they have.

If a generator or a kid or an adult evening BBQ, music or party is driving you nuts, then perhaps you are the one with the problem, not everyone else. Are you being antisocial by expecting the place to be quiet like a church yard? I would have thought going to a rally, by its nature and the fact that FUN appears in the clubs name, implies lots of noise. Perhaps you should park out of the way, in a corner, why everyone else has a good time and gets on with life.

I had a guy next to me, just 2 metres away, with a 2 stroke noisy, smoke billowing 650 watt generator. It was well clapped out, but he obviously needed to run it. So, I carried on what I was doing and then went out for an hour or so and did something else. The next morning at around 7.00am he started his diesel engine and let that rattle and clatter for an hour and a half. My thoughts? He must be in need of the electricity, maybe he is cold or he or his wife have an problem and need some power urgently. They do not need my permission. I was rattled by it, but I put up with it. I put the TV on and watched the news 10 times over and did other things. The point being, he was well before the 'generator allowed' time and he disturbed my morning, but so be it. His need must have been greater. If it happened the next morning, then I would probably knock on his door and ask him why.

What do you do if your generator is built in? Not ever run it at a rally, because some people will get upset? I do not think so. If it is all you have and you have to use it, then get on with it. I am not going to ask permission from the neighbours. Loud or quiet, no one purposely makes their generator noisy.

My suggestion is this. Do what they do with parking. If you need to run your generator for a prolonged period, say an hour and a half, or two hours max and then give a time interval of several hours, before it can be run again for a prolonged period. I try to run mine in the morning and/or later in the afternoon, after the nappers have hopefully recovered and before folk settle down for the evening. There will never be a good time. I think it is only the odd one or two that have run a generator every day, all day long and if that is the case, then yes, get a quieter one, but I do not think most of us need to.

Andy.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Andy

I couldn't disagree more. In all walks of life, and no matter what activity is undertaken, responsible adults act with consideration for others. In the case of camping, motorhoming, RV-ing, caravanning, and even tenting, everyone has a choice of the equipment needed to enjoy their particular take on the hobby. Part of that choice should be to ensure that the equipment they buy has minimum impact on others' enjoyment. I find it hard to understand how anyone can justify the need to run a generator (built in or not) other than to operate essential medical equipment.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
why worry about what others think this is your life if they don't like it thats their problem not yours i bought my mh and all the equipment i have for me in mind not with someone else in mind :whistle:

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
I've read most of this thread and I've heard most of it before but one point that never seems to be made is that however you charge your battery an hour or so probably won't do it. Take a hypothetical case of a battery at 50% charge, lets say after a couple of days use off hookup (with no sun for the solar panel). The highest rate that you want to charge a wet lead acid battery is the 10hr rate/10 (some would say 10hr rate/5). Some people find this easier to comprehend with a few figures lets say you have a 110Ahr battery (10 hr rate) if its 50% charged you need to replace 55Ahr but dividing the 110Ahr by 10 gives 11Ahr/hr which means it will take 5hrs to charge up. However you play with the figures and whatever size of battery you have provided you can deliver sufficient current it always comes out at 5hrs if its 50% charged. Any faster you are doing damage. I will allow that some will trade a bit of battery life for higher charge rates. The situation's worse if your charger isn't a 3 or 4 stage one or you are relying on a split charge from the alternator.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a nice newly serviced 650 Honda Genny for sale it will be at the bring and buy. Its 18 years old and whisper quiet. It's a bit noisier if you start it, but aren't they all. :)

WalterRv

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
B+ Class
Exp
fairly new
I think the stone age is upon us. 21st century yet to reach here? Lets go on a rally, but leave all you modern technology at home. I think gas lamps are going to make a come back soon. I can see all the Funsters considering the impact of their equipment on others as they make there next purchase NOT. Looks like a lot of people are consuming too much power too. Now people are telling others how much they should be using. A couple of days is the current runner. Who's going suggest a longer time I wonder. Are these people for real?

Andy.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have and use a gas light in my Wagon.

It's brilliant... bright, warm and kills mossies and midges.

When the electricity went out in the Studio after a huge thunder and lightning storm AND the back up generator failed to kick in, guess who was completely unaffected?

No internet, moan... no lights, moan...
No computers on, moan...

"That bloody JJ... he still seems to have everything working." :) (y) :whistle:

JJ :cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
now now jj surely not everything working :whistle:

Reactions: JJ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Obviously not ALL funsters think about the impact of their equipment on others but I think at the same time many do.

I don't consider that I live in the Stone Age and I like my technology and mod cons, I also gain great satisfaction from having all these toys and running them on nothing more than sunshine and batteries in the middle of a field, and yes for more than two days.

Martin

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
maybe thats me problem jj i dont stay sober long enough to c if me bits all work :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Obviously not ALL funsters think about the impact of their equipment on others but I think at the same time many do.

I don't consider that I live in the Stone Age and I like my technology and mod cons, I also gain great satisfaction from having all these toys and running them on nothing more than sunshine and batteries in the middle of a field, and yes for more than two days.

Martin
Here here

2 x 110 Ah Banner batteries, 2 x 100W solar panels and LED lighting means I can run almost all my mod cons off 12V for a loooooooong time, except in depths of winter in Northern Europe, when for me it is EHU or not going! And the odd bits of 240V I need (wife's hair dryer, toaster and charging bike batteries) can easily be accommodated too with my 2000W inverter.

No unsociable noise and fumes. In fact very 21st century given that "green" energy is the future for us all, like it or not. The oil might not run out in the next 100 years but it will become scarce enough to cost the earth (literally some would say!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back