Antidisestablishmentairianism (1 Viewer)

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
I know us funsters are a friendly lot who don`t need rules and regulations telling us what is acceptable behaviour at a rally.

MAYBE IT`S TIME TO TIGHTEN THE RULES ON NOISY GENERATORS.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry cant hear you at the moment, just running the genny so the mrs can watch the 40inch tv in the van and dry her hair. not to worry I will knock it off about 2am so I can get some sleep

i wanted my genny to sound like a harley, so i took the silencer off the exhaust, sounds good doesn't it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know us funsters are a friendly lot who don`t need rules and regulations telling us what is acceptable behaviour at a rally.

MAYBE IT`S TIME TO TIGHTEN THE RULES ON NOISY GENERATORS.

It's not the volume, it's the drone, Drone, DRONE. Going on forever. Drone, Drone, DRONE.

If you carry an axe that is a good solution, just choose the owner or the generator.

I see that you are at Chester, care to name and shame the inconsiderate, deaf, thick bar steward ?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am sure that running of genirators is not that much of a problem sum need to run them to keep the wife's iron lung working my wife just neads to keep the battery charged in her sex toys Bothe are necessary and as long as there run when needed and not all the time it's fine by me just suck it up and enjoy the weekend :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There are people who just get used to the noise of gennys running and people that as soon as a genny starts it grates through them and people like me that are not normally bothered by the noise unless theres loads running for hours and hours all at once and in close proximity as it can get wearing after a while. Being partially deaf does however help in my case.

At most meets there is usually a gap somewhere that people can move to if the noise nearby is particularly annoying.

Its not just gennys, we often party and sit out chatting late into the night, others go to bed at 9 or 10pm and prefer quiet around them.

We would rather be told to our faces if we were annoying others in some way rather than be moaned about behind our backs, I am sure many funsters prefer honesty too.

The reality is that what annoys one person another person would not take any notice of

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, its always difficult to please everyone, and though we have a Honda generator :winky: we try to use it for a couple of hours say 08.00 till 10.00 or 1800 till 2000. :Smile:

At a Warners show the rules are in between 0800 until 2200 but no one wants it 14 hours a day, but then you could be camped near toilet blocks when the generators run all night. :whatthe:

If its a funsters generator, just have a word with your rally marshal if you don't want to speak to the offender, and I'm sure it will be sorted.
Might be easier just to move you somewhere better for you.:thumb:
Having done the job, I know its very hard to please everyone, and we have even had generator free areas, and hardly anyone wants to park there, they want to be near friends that sometimes have generators. :Doh:
I always thought funsters were really loud, until the Spanish arrived on site on Thursday for their Easter holidays. :Eeek:
Still they will be gone again Monday, :winky: but we love the smell of all the BBQ food cooking when they come. :ROFLMAO:

If its not a funster, and someone camping in the area next door, speak to the organisers.

But its best not bottle it up, and let it spoil the weekend. Bob.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We parked next to a van a couple of weeks ago that had an on board genny running. It was very quiet and although we could hear it, it didn't bother us.
Personally, I wouldn't use a genny if others were nearby. I find it's easier to start the van engine, rev it a few times to clear all the black smoke, then set the hand throttle at about 2000revs.
But we only have it running for a couple of hours at a time to charge the batteries......:ROFLMAO:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
No problem with a genny being used sensibly, we only ever use one at rallies or sites with no hook up and it's normally the first thing out of the van so anyone can see it and then choose to park somewhere else if they want, I should add that we do try to use it when others are not about and only for around an hour and a half at the most normally sometime between 10 -12 am just to recharge the batteries,

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were already parked up, Table and chairs out , awning out etc , when a another MHF parked up along side us , Nice people , Friendly and Helpful .:thumb:

Following morning early o'clock they fire up a generator and ran it most of the day and into the evening ,fortunately we went walking around the show , just had to put up with it during our meals .

Next day the same . i asked them to move it from between our vans as it was about 10 feet from our door and the fumes were coming into our van as well as the fact we could not sit outside because of the constant noise ,:Sad:

They did move it about 20 ft up wind but still on our side of their van .so not much improvement ,The Generator owner said they needed it for medical reasons , so we packed away the Table , chairs etc ,and kept the MH windows ,doors etc closed .:Sad:

It was a 4 day event and we left 2 hours after the generator start up on the 3 rd day ,:cry:

If people need regular recharging then , why not like a lot of us have done :-
Fit large solar panels ,( Solar panels now are costing less than a " Quiet " Generator), and in emergency fire up the MH engine for say 10 mins , With modern alternators putting out around 70 Amps ,it will charge up the batteries in no time whereas a Generator will take hours to do the same . :thumb:

I do accept that some people because of their needs , may at times may need to charge the batteries but they know this and should look at ways to do it without disturbing those around for hours on end or if not maybe request a parking space to minimise disruptions to others .:Smile:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am sure that running of genirators is not that much of a problem sum need to run them to keep the wife's iron lung working my wife just neads to [HI]keep the battery charged in her sex toy[/HI]s Bothe are necessary and as long as there run when needed and not all the time it's fine by me just suck it up and enjoy the weekend :thumb:

I didn't realise you ran on batteries Bill :roflmto:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Clearly no night time railway maintenance this year, or you would have no sleep at all.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the rules on here are for the site not for meets and rally's if you see me anywhere then don't park near me i will run me genny but never before 9am and never after around 6pm normally its going for a few hrs only and yes mo its a kipper as for solar panels im not sure they run the 240 plugs some need :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why is motorhome power management such a problem?!

I gave up posting on the subject of decent batteries and effective charging systems ages ago.

It was just p******ng in the wind!:Doh:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It's not the volume, it's the drone, Drone, DRONE. Going on forever. Drone, Drone, DRONE.

If you carry an axe that is a good solution, just choose the owner or the generator.

I see that you are at Chester, care to name and shame the inconsiderate, deaf, thick bar steward ?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Don't mention drones! You all know what happened last time!:ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I don't have a problem with anyone running a suitcase-type generator for just a few hours at a time to charge their batteries. Solar can't always keep up with usage at rallies if the weather is bad - I'm remembering the mudfest at P'boro Show two years ago. :RollEyes:

However I do have a problem with the following, both of which occurred at Stratford Show last year:

1. Someone (since banned but presumably not for generator use!) parking their RV next to my van with the exhaust pipe directly opposite my door and running their onboard generator for hours on end. I spoke to the offender about it - he said it wouldn't be running for long - it was! So I moved further away from said RV.

2. Someone parking their van right behind mine and promptly starting up a very noisy builder's generator in a cage. Not needed to charge up batteries but because wifey wanted to watch TV all evening and they only had a 240v TV. I suggested to him that running something like that for hours on end was anti-social. He had a whinge to the marshalls who relocated him out of the Funster area and over in the RV section - where apparently his generator could still be heard even above the chorus of RV onboard generators. :RollEyes:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Apart from for medical reasons, why would a generator be needed for a weekend (even a long one) meet?
Surely a decent battery / batteries would last that long for normal use?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Apart from for medical reasons, why would a generator be needed for a weekend (even a long one) meet?

The problem comes when normal use means like you do in your house where electricity magically appears out of a three holed square in the wall.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Some folk just can't adapt to a frugal lifestyle. They are probably the ones filling with water on a daily basis too.

Trouble is they see 2000W inverter and immediately think "I can use my microwave" but don't consider the input side of the inverter. And then there are Hair Dryers. The curse of MHs.

Last year at Chester we had to run the engine on Sunday because it was freezing and the heating was on all the time. So I gave it some thought and fitted a 100W solar panel. This year, 2 months in the van, we've only used hook up to conserve gas because getting it was a problem in Morocco. One battery and sunshine was plenty for us.

It is often said that car drivers should be forced to ride a motorbike first to get the full picture of survival skills. Maybe all MH owners should live in a tent first to learn frugal.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
surely its just the fact that we all have different ways of using our motor homes and some like extra comfort and if that means a genny then so be it i dont have my genny running in order to annoy people if it does then close ya windows and ya doors and turn ya music or tv up that normally drowns out the noise and i have also had mine running in order to help someone else out who doesnt have a genny EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP WHINGING AND LIVE WITH IT :Smile:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i see we have come the full circle .... :Eeek:

because of an inconsiderate person with a generator ....

on a lovely sunny summers day ,

We had to do as you just said ..

we had to close all windows , doors , roof light to try to avoid the noise and fumes :Doh:

what is wrong with ... 250 watts solar panel ,2 x 110 amp batteries and a 1500 watt inverter :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back