Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
I've just read about a motorhomer whose electrics were damaged by a voltage surge on a campsite in Europe.

My question is:

Could this be avoided by connecting the mains cable to the site connection via an anti-surge socket?

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Most R.V's are protected from factory.....................he should have bought american lol!
In my opinion, all eurovans are overpriced wannabe R.V's :winky:

Boo

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have fitted a surge protector to my van after hearing a tale of woe whilst in Spain one year, I used the type you buy for computers, and my hook up cable goes to it first then another cable goes from it to the power inlet of my van, simple, you can buy all sorts of complicated systems but I prefer to keep it simple with no complicated wiring, works for me.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have fitted a surge protector to my van after hearing a tale of woe whilst in Spain one year, I used the type you buy for computers, and my hook up cable goes to it first then another cable goes from it to the power inlet of my van, simple, you can buy all sorts of complicated systems but I prefer to keep it simple with no complicated wiring, works for me.:thumb::thumb:

Hi

does this unit plug into the 16A EHU site socket ?

If so , is it weather proof and do you have a product code or supplier ?

The reason I ask this was discussed at length on an RV forum and no one came up with a UK supplier

One downside to this solution is theft of unit.

Boo

anti surge protection isn't fitted to all RVs .. it's retro fitted in most cases.

jim

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi

does this unit plug into the 16A EHU site socket ?

If so , is it weather proof and do you have a product code or supplier ?

The reason I ask this was discussed at length on an RV forum and no one came up with a UK supplier

One downside to this solution is theft of unit.

Boo

anti surge protection isn't fitted to all RVs .. it's retro fitted in most cases.

jim

My gadget is in the garage of my van, I bring the live cable from the hook up post to it via a hole in the garage floor, I have changed the 13 amp three pin plug on it [ surge protector ] to a three pin hook up type plug to make the connection, I then take the other cable which is fitted with the original 13 amp plug from the surge protector back out through the hole in the garage floor to the hook up inlet of my van and Bobs your Uncle; van electrics are live and protected.You can buy these Surge Protectors in most electrical shops easily for about £15 ? As I see it the 13 amp fuse in the plug is also another form of protection .

OP
OP
strathspey

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
My gadget is in the garage of my van, I bring the live cable from the hook up post to it via a hole in the garage floor, I have changed the 13 amp three pin plug on it [ surge protector ] to a three pin hook up type plug to make the connection, I then take the other cable which is fitted with the original 13 amp plug from the surge protector back out through the hole in the garage floor to the hook up inlet of my van and Bobs your Uncle; van electrics are live and protected.You can buy these Surge Protectors in most electrical shops easily for about £15 ? As I see it the 13 amp fuse in the plug is also another form of protection .

Thanks for that. This is the kind of setup I envisaged. I'll get one wired up before my next trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back