Anti-social Behaviour Bill - Action required NOW (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Anti-social Behaviour Bill

NOW is the time to write to your MP about this new threat to simple wild parking .

This proposed legislation would effectively make it possible for courts to ban anything which could cause a nuisance to anyone, however unreasonable the person making the complaint is.

The currently Bill carries no requirement for a complaint to be "reasonable".

Ten years ago, naturists successfully lobbied in large numbers for amendments to the Sexual Offences Bill, which resulted in substantial changes in their favour by the time it became law.

Make sure that Wild Parking does not become illegal if it causes a nuisance to anyone, however unreasonable the person making the complaint is.

The Bill will have completed the committee stage by 16th July so please contact your MP NOW

Last edited:
OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Bill covers a wide range of matters John. Which part is the one which would create a threat of banning of off-site camping?

Hi Graham

The currently Bill carries no requirement for a complaint to be "reasonable". as it stands.

This short coming needs to be rectified.

In naturism we have found many unreasonable complaints being made. Like the lady who complained to the police about a couple sunbathing naked in their garden. When the police came she climbed out of her window and walked along a wall to be able to see them. This was not a joke it actually happened.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

The currently Bill carries no requirement for a complaint to be "reasonable". as it stands.

This short coming needs to be rectified.

In naturism we have found many unreasonable complaints being made. Like the lady who complained to the police about a couple sunbathing naked in their garden. When the police came she climbed out of her window and walked along a wall to be able to see them. This was not a joke it actually happened.

Yes John, I understand that but the bill has 142 sections with differing procedures/provisions. A general "reasonable" plea would probably get nowhere. Which section might affect off-site camping?

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Yes John, I understand that but the bill has 142 sections with differing procedures/provisions. A general "reasonable" plea would probably get nowhere. Which section might affect off-site camping?

Hi Graham

This proposed legislation would effectively make it possible for courts to ban anything which could cause a nuisance to anyone, however unreasonable the person making the complaint is.

No matter which section, reasonableness of any complaint is essential. One mans opinion (no mater how unreasonable that is) of a nuisance could be all it takes to trigger action.

Part 4 of the Bill covers powers to deal with environmental anti-social behaviour. Chapter 1 would introduce “Community Protection Notices” to replace current notices requiring litter clearance or removal of graffiti or fly posting. The new notices would cover a wider range of behaviour and could be issued by more agencies. Chapter 2 would introduce “Public Spaces Protection Orders” to replace Designated Public Spaces Orders (which control public drinking), Dog Control Orders and Gating Orders. Again, they would be much broader powers, which could prohibit a much wider range of behaviour. There have been concerns about the breadth of this new power.

section 1 (2), which defines antisocial behaviour as "conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person". With such a broad definition, it is tantamount to making everything illegal. The bill, however, does not just deal with events that have happened – as long as someone believes the potential for misbehaviour is there, he or she can seek a police officer's assistance.

Wide and unspecified powers lead to abuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks John. I agree that wide and unspecified powers lead to abuse.

However, I note that (un)reasonableness is already mentioned in Chapter 1 (s40(1), s40(3), s40(4)) and in Chapter 2 (s55(1), s55(3) and s55(5) (and also s56(2))).

If the original complaint is unreasonable would it not fail the tests in s40 and s55 anyway? It appears to me that it would.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

However, I note that (un)reasonableness is already mentioned in Chapter 1 (s40(1), s40(3), s40(4)) and in Chapter 2 (s55(1), s55(3) and s55(5) (and also s56(2))).

If the original complaint is unreasonable would it not fail the tests in s40 and s55 anyway? It appears to me that it would.

Are you sure you are not a lawyer?

I think you are right having just looked at the Act (very briefly)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Would it be a good idea to have letter drafted so that us thickos could copy it and send our views to our MP’s?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Are you sure you are not a lawyer?

I think you are right having just looked at the Act (very briefly)

Not fully qualified Chris. I studied law (and passed the exams) as part of my Business Studies HND in 1968-70 so gained an interest then. In addition, the last few years of my working life were concerned with the interpretation and implementation of regulatory legislation (mainly DPA, FoIA, CMA, HRA, RIPA) but also things like producing a manual covering the whole set of equalities legislation as it affected a local authority.

Most legislation is a matter of logical interpretation so not difficult after several decades of analysing what people really want from computer systems (as opposed to what they say) ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not fully qualified Chris. I studied law (and passed the exams) as part of my Business Studies HND in 1968-70 so gained an interest then. In addition, the last few years of my working life were concerned with the interpretation and implementation of regulatory legislation (mainly DPA, FoIA, CMA, HRA, RIPA) but also things like producing a manual covering the whole set of equalities legislation as it affected a local authority.

Most legislation is a matter of logical interpretation so not difficult after several decades of analysing what people really want from computer systems (as opposed to what they say) ::bigsmile:

That's impressive.

I am all for this legislation if it prevents Shiftzz from frolicking around his garden naked.::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
That's impressive.

I am all for this legislation if it prevents Shiftzz from frolicking around his garden naked.::bigsmile:

Oi

Two bottle conditioned organic free range low carb high cholestorol beer and I can dance th nght away,,, Add Prawn Vindaloo and then you can have a show.... Bring on the Poppadoms..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's impressive.

It was our main lecturer all those years ago who was impressive. Les Spittle subsequently qualified for the bar and became a judge. One of my contemporaries, Simon Bourne-Arton, did the same (impressed by Les I think).

The qualified lawyer in the family is my brother who is a partner at Hextalls.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It was our main lecturer all those years ago who was impressive. Les Spittle subsequently qualified for the bar and became a judge. One of my contemporaries, Simon Bourne-Arton, did the same (impressed by Les I think).

The qualified lawyer in the family is my brother who is a partner at Hextalls.

Good firm Hextalls:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Perhaps for those of us who wish to complain to our MP
there could be a short form letter published in this thread ?:thumb:
I certainly would not wish to word one which could be mis represented
by an MP.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread