Anti motorhome policy in the UK (2 Viewers)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I should also add that our next two holiday trips abroad will include visits to large flea markets buying up stock for resale on my return, so the trips might even be self-financed.

Don't you need business insurance for that - carrying stock? If you have it could you pm me with who you insure with? If you don't have business insurance then best to keep quiet..........

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
We need to go to Plymouth for medical appointments over 2 days...... the only place we can find to park overnight is a camp site at £18 a night.(£36).....we do not need any facilities! Outrageous in winter. That is why we need aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We need to go to Plymouth for medical appointments over 2 days...... the only place we can find to park overnight is a camp site at £18 a night.(£36).....we do not need any facilities! Outrageous in winter. That is why we need aires.
But still much cheaper than an hotel or B&B which I have had to use pre -motorhome when having hospital day treatment.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It is cheaper but it is also a liberty. When I first started out caravanning only 8 or 9 years ago, I used CLs and usually paid £3 for a site with just an elsan, £6-8 if there were facilities such as hook up. I appreciate inflation etc but seriously....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Why can't you park up in the hospital car park . It will obviously be 24hr paying so can't see a problem. Allow it in North Devon hospital. & on long term reduced rate tickets.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't you need business insurance for that - carrying stock? If you have it could you pm me with who you insure with? If you don't have business insurance then best to keep quiet..........

It's only stock when I get home and decide I don't want to keep it for my own use. Until then it's holiday souvenirs. :whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why can't you park up in the hospital car park . It will obviously be 24hr paying so can't see a problem. Allow it in North Devon hospital. & on long term reduced rate tickets.
If your appointments are in a hospital it would be worth getting in touch with their PALS office to ask if you could stay in your motorhome. I wouldn't just turn up on spec, though, as it may not be possible to access the car park in a large vehicle.

A few years ago, when our car was off the road, we had to use the van to attend an outpatient appointment and the PALS service made a special arrangement for us. That was only for an hour or so but it may be worth asking.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Are we missing something here, we join "clubs" to get us campsites in desireable areas. Be that by the seaside, historic places and even in the wild countryside.

Isn't it time we lobbied the biggies that we would like to use these sites as overnight stops. (max 2 nights)

The expensive parts of these sites are the facilities, hot water, showers, EHU.
Overnight MHers can do without these facilities and could use just the dump and freshwater when needed.
The "Club" sites are becoming just other "commercial" ventures with many of the popular ones (the ones closest to the towns) demanding that 3 days are the minimum pre booked.

Could these sites be developed to have night stopovers for units not needing the expensive parts at a greatly reduced fee?

Last edited:

Deleted User
Are we missing something here, we join "clubs" to get us campsites in desireable areas. Be that by the seaside, historic places and even in the wild countryside.

Isn't it time we lobbied the biggies that we would like to use these sites as overnight stops. (max 2 nights)

The expensive parts of these sites are the facilities, hot water, showers, EHU.
Overnight MHers can do without these facilities and could use just the dump and freshwater when needed.
The "Club" sites are becoming just other "commercial" ventures with many of the popular ones (the ones closest to the towns) demanding that 3 days are the minimum pre booked.

Could these sites be developed to have night stopovers for units not needing the expensive parts at a greatly reduced fee?

As you say, these are club sites, clubs have members and in theory the officials act in the members interests so if enough members actively lobby for these facilities then something may happen. They also have a duty to use the clubs assets wisely, ie make a profit for re investment.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a discussion about that on the CC's own forum earlier this year. A couple of main points came up:
1) no incentive for the clubs to offer reduced prices for reduced facilities because they can sell the pitches at the current prices (especially at the popular sites close to towns) - and how do you ensure people don't use the facil anyway?).
2) they cater for caravanners as well as motorhomers so why should there be some pitches which could not be used by the former?

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just somewhere to park the MH within walking distance of the centre of many cities and towns would please me so that I could just visit for the day without over nighting. Called in at Stratford on Avon the other week, after driving around it for best of an hour , couldn't find anywhere to park so moved on. Visited Hunstanton August bank holiday, they have a great park for MH and coaches but unfortunately it was closed.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
As you say, these are club sites, clubs have members and in theory the officials act in the members interests so if enough members actively lobby for these facilities then something may happen. They also have a duty to use the clubs assets wisely, ie make a profit for re investment.

My experience of not CC and C&CC is they operate purely as money making businesses at national level, leaving the welfare of members to local level where members have engaged (such as rallies etc). They are huge lobbyists for caravan owners but seem disinterested in supporting any other interest group.

Campervanners and motorhomers are self sufficient in the main part and maybe this is a side effect... We don't shout loud enough to be noticed by our own clu es let alone local or national govmnt

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
2) they cater for caravanners as well as motorhomers so why should there be some pitches which could not be used by the former?

What is there to stop Caravanners pulling in for a stopover?

- and how do you ensure people don't use the facil anyway?).

Coded door entry is the answer and if your a member would you want to abuse the facilities?

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for replies re hospital, I will contact the PALS office. The problem is if you turn up and can not park, you miss your appointment.
I strongly agree with matmaros that these clubs should be reflecting what the members need. Both the CC and CCC now have camping pods (chalets) which is moving completely away from the reason they were set up.

Deleted User
My experience of not CC and C&CC is they operate purely as money making businesses at national level, leaving the welfare of members to local level where members have engaged (such as rallies etc). They are huge lobbyists for caravan owners but seem disinterested in supporting any other interest group.

Campervanners and motorhomers are self sufficient in the main part and maybe this is a side effect... We don't shout loud enough to be noticed by our own clu es let alone local or national govmnt

I am a non active member of both clubs and rarely use their sites and then usually CL's or CS's, don't really know why I am still a member but I think aclue to your comment may be in the titles.

Caravan club, Camping and Caravanning club, I know they now acknowledge motorhomes but were both set up by campers and caravanners to cater for their respective interests.

I would suggest that the way to get proper facilities, that motorhomers would use, is for either active lobbying by motorhome members of the existing clubs or for a new organisation to be formed to cater solely for motorhomers and to provide it's members with facilities. Both the above clubs started small and have grown, supposedly to cater for members and follow their wishes.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I think your all looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!
There is no law that makes it illegal to sleep in a vehicle overnight!
I know there are by laws in some areas ,just avoid car parks with restrictions,park LEGALLY and do what you want !

Vlad

Reactions: GJH

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If we buy a car we still have to pay for parking, I dont see why some believe a motorhome should be any different (-;

I never pay to park my car, never found I needed be somewhere that badly.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I never pay to park my car, never found I needed be somewhere that badly.
Strangely enough the only parking ticket I've ever received was in Keswick in your very own Cumbrian. I did fight it and got it cancelled but not a happy bunny at the time.:)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If you ask me, motorhomers supporting the local economy with oodles of cash is a complete myth. Most wouldn’t even get a cab from an out of town secure site to do a bit of town shopping, let alone eat out in town three times a week while camped. But then there could be exceptions to all rules.:rolleyes:

I have a limited amount of cash availiable to spend.
I can only spend it once & I'd rather spend it on food & drink than campsite fees.
That's why we usually stop off at Abingdon Town FC on the way south, £3 to park & only a short distance to the town with plenty of watering holes, eateries & take aways.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a limited amount of cash availiable to spend.
I can only spend it once & I'd rather spend it on food & drink than campsite fees.
That's why we usually stop off at Abingdon Town FC on the way south, £3 to park & only a short distance to the town with plenty of watering holes, eateries & take aways.
£3 per night.....that will be a bit much for many:D

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
£3 per night.....that will be a bit much for many:D

It is the money for me but not the amount rather the feeling that I am being fleeced.. stay on an out of season site with most of the facilities shut and the ones that are open ones I don't want and pay £6 per adult for the privilege.. I appreciate the site costs cash to run but surely not to justify that charge.. and then 50p for a shower (the only facility I use sites for)

I can pull in to a motorway services and pay £8 for overnight parking and the showers are free..

But for one night away at the weekend really all I need is somewhere to park with a nice view and an honesty box which I would gladly chuck a few quid in..

What would a land owner need to do to set that up I. their land does anyone know?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
It is the money for me but not the amount rather the feeling that I am being fleeced.. stay on an out of season site with most of the facilities shut and the ones that are open ones I don't want and pay £6 per adult for the privilege.. I appreciate the site costs cash to run but surely not to justify that charge.. and then 50p for a shower (the only facility I use sites for)

I can pull in to a motorway services and pay £8 for overnight parking and the showers are free..

But for one night away at the weekend really all I need is somewhere to park with a nice view and an honesty box which I would gladly chuck a few quid in..

What would a land owner need to do to set that up I. their land does anyone know?

Planning permission?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So if we want to lobby then surely it's central government that needs to be lobbied to allow for planning permission to be assumed under certain conditions.. those would be tough to write... would have to protect the landowner as well as the neighbours and those stopping in them.. once the planning permission was resolved presumably the same folk that keep a few chucks or grow a few tatties and pop them outside with an honesty box could be approached about doing the same thing with an empty bit of land... who needs local authorities...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You would think that when you have paid 30 odd quid to join ccc and cc they would let you park for one night at a time with no services

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just somewhere to park the MH within walking distance of the centre of many cities and towns would please me so that I could just visit for the day without over nighting. Called in at Stratford on Avon the other week, after driving around it for best of an hour , couldn't find anywhere to park so moved on. Visited Hunstanton August bank holiday, they have a great park for MH and coaches but unfortunately it was closed.
Stratford upon Avon is actually one of the few places that has overnighting for motorhomes, not just daytime parking. See http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Reactions: JJ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What is there to stop Caravanners pulling in for a stopover?
Nothing - but they tend not to want to in the same way as motorhomers.
Coded door entry is the answer and if your a member would you want to abuse the facilities?
1. Several sites not open to non-members
2. Does everybody abide by the rules in everyday life? You only have to read posts about charges in private car parks to answer that one :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would suggest that the way to get proper facilities, that motorhomers would use, is for either active lobbying by motorhome members of the existing clubs or for a new organisation to be formed to cater solely for motorhomers and to provide it's members with facilities. Both the above clubs started small and have grown, supposedly to cater for members and follow their wishes.
The MCC already exists but it is the lobbying that is the problem. The vast majority just leave it to somebody else - plenty of moaning but no action in many cases :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back