Anti motorhome policy in the UK (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never considered low cost overnight MH parking to be my 'right' either here or abroad, but the fact that it's available abroad makes me spend more time (and money) over there.
Does the cost comparison stack up? We are about 320 miles from Dover so that's going to be something like 11 gallons of diesel and a day's driving each way, to say nothing of ferry costs. That pays for a heck of a lot of CL, rally and THS nights :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
LAs often do not have the resources these days to undertake the work needed to make progress.

Agreed on that point. I work at a visitor site that could be far more effectively marketed with internet access. If I could work online on slack days I could save on their wages bill and get more visitors in. If we offered free wi-fi we might have more people stopping at the site for a break and spending money on drinks and snacks. Can I get those above to fund a simple wi-fi router on the phone socket? What do you think?

The site also has a very quiet car park with ample space for MHs, just off a popular route to N Wales, but what do you think the chances are of that ever being developed? Zero.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does the cost comparison stack up? We are about 320 miles from Dover so that's going to be something like 11 gallons of diesel and a day's driving each way, to say nothing of ferry costs. That pays for a heck of a lot of CL, rally and THS nights :)
We are about 250 miles from dover only rough , but 25 mpg 6£ a gallon £60 each way ,been looking at day trip on tunnel , gravelines xmas market, duty free at cite europe , tunnel £58 return go one day back the next, say £ 180 all in .
Buy 100 bottles of wine for £1 a bottle save £3 a bottle £300 so £120 in pocket and two days in france, try that in England.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bought my MH to enable me to go around and visit all the places that I have alwayse heard about and never been able to visit. I am self contained, and require little outside support. All I need is somewhere to park whilst I am there spending my my money and getting experiences from these places.
I am a bit annoyed that when I do go somewhere I actually cannot visit it because there a re no places for me, not that I can find easily anyway. Got a campsite it is said, what for pay a bomb for things I do not need or want, need to book ahead, get trapped there because there is no transport into town or wherever, and regulated by a loads of rules I would not break anyway. All I need is a parking area where I do not have to pay lorry park fees.
I think the MH is going soon, and just stay at home.
Around Dover even the laybys have been blocked off by the authorities spending tens of thousands putting up armco to block them off, with fee paying PRIVATE lorry parks at either end, methinks a bit of undue pressure of vested interest was applied there?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

When we go to France we only book the ferry. I can't be arsed ringing round CLs for availability then being committed to staying there once we've booked. I don't want to be down the end of a farm track miles from the things I want to visit. If I want to see fields and moo cows I can walk half a mile in any direction from home. We don't do rallies - no problem with those who do, but it's not why we bought the MH. I like cheap wine and beer, cheaper diesel, and low-priced interesting food. I like driving on well-surfaced fast roads that aren't jam-packed with traffic. I like to be able to pull into most destinations large or small and know there's going to be somewhere to stop overnight, free of feral teenagers, and for which I'm quite happy to pay. Truth be told we could holiday in the UK for less, but we relax better in France, and the aire network is a key factor in that.

I should also add that our next two holiday trips abroad will include visits to large flea markets buying up stock for resale on my return, so the trips might even be self-financed.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So, you would be the ideal candidate to start lobbying for local authorities to provide Aires!
Problem is, most councils have little interest in providing leisure facilities over and above what they already fund.
Maybe it's time for Brussels to issue a directive for councils to provide facilities for motorhomes. We now live in Dover District and pay almost £2000 a year in council tax. For that, we have no street lights, no pavements, we have to take our rubbish 100 metres from the house so it can be collected, none of our roads have names so no street signs to maintain. We have no street cleaning, no mains drains to maintain and we have a septic tank.
We have 2 near neighbours. That's £6000 the council gets for almost nothing, they could put it towards an aire at Dover......
They won't though, they'll upgrade the Mayors new Jaguar
Allan

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Do the members think that there is an anti motorhome policy in the UK.

There seems to be a different council every other day trying to ban motorhomes, Dover is debating it, Weymouth has knocked months of hard work on the head due to pressure from others etc and that is just a couple.
Surely when manufacturers sell us the motorhomes they have a vested interest in seeing that we can use them in the UK rather than be forced to go abroad to use them as a lot of us do now. Site owners have an interest to keep us here but seem intent on pricing everybody except the rich out and councils have a vested interest in bringing work and business to their area but seem very anti motorhome.

I am not suggesting free aires as in France etc but it would be nice to have a simple system of aires where you could park for a night or two for a reasonable amount without having to pay an extortionate fee for facilities that the motorhomes doesn't need or want and not 5 miles out from the nearest town or bus stop.

RD

Who can blame them, when we have a minority who think its ok to park up in free public parking for months at a time, if these people had an ounce of brain they would see that their actions are going to p*ss people off, all they have to do is move around more, there is a stretch of road right on the seaside not far from where I work and there has been two or three motorhomes and a RV there for months, the RV in particular has not moved at allo_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are about 250 miles from dover only rough , but 25 mpg 6£ a gallon £60 each way ,been looking at day trip on tunnel , gravelines xmas market, duty free at cite europe , tunnel £58 return go one day back the next, say £ 180 all in .
Buy 100 bottles of wine for £1 a bottle save £3 a bottle £300 so £120 in pocket and two days in france, try that in England.
I'm allergic to wine :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So, you would be the ideal candidate to start lobbying for local authorities to provide Aires!
Already have Allan. I was involved with Guisborough (not the fault of the council that people didn't use it) and I'm currently in discussions with a number of other authorities. I don't have the time or the inclination to do it all on my own though.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:rolleyes:My apologies to all it was Appledore North Devon not Durdle door Dorset I think I must have been still laughing at the cassette toilet and gentlemen's vegetables thread at the time of writing

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
On final comment before I go out.

We can complain about anti-motorhome policies (real or imagined) on here until we are blue in the face and it won't make a blind bit of difference because very few councillors and council officers are members.

Alternatively we can do something positive and approach councils where we can identify a potential aire site. Nobody else will do that so it is in our own hands.
A much more useful post, quite agree which is mainly my reason for responding to this thread. I have spoken to councillors and land owners on this subject in the past on several occasions. Many supermarkets abroad (and a few in this country) let you stop for a night on the car park, they are aware that normally, you would do a bit of shopping there so are quite relaxed about it, it doesn't seem to get abused either. Some LA's in this country actively encourage motor homes to stay on them by having longer bays, an overnight rate and often a toilet, I often wonder why these Authorities think it is a good thing when others don't.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
And, as oft said in the past, if there were a viable business opportunity they would open aires close to town centres. So why don't they?
Cos of the land cost and availability, recently spent some time trying to find some land in Bristol as I was interested in opening a site near the city center, I could not find anything I considered worth looking at.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:rolleyes:My apologies to all it was Appledore North Devon not Durdle door Dorset I think I must have been still laughing at the cassette toilet and gentlemen's vegetables thread at the time of writing
Ironic, then, that you felt you were being taken advantage as Torridge Council have been widely praised for allowing overnight camping in their car parks. They have been held up as a shining example of the facilities requested in the OP :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think you have at least one myth Graham, I would like to think it is some people. It would be very interesting to see what exactly is a motorhome owners profile in this country. A survey on the Continent suggest this:

"A poll carried out a few years ago reveals that 70% of the motor
caravanners are formed by businessman, retired people and teachers. Their average
yearly income is over 28.000 euros. 61% of them normally shop in hypermarkets while
39% buy in local shops; one in every three motor caravanners goes to a restaurant
between 2 and 3 days a week (source: Harris Etudes)."

Is the profile of the UK owner very much different? The retired are certainly targeted by many as a group with surplus income to spend! I am not sure Aires (Stopovers) would be a wide success here but sure as hell daytime parking for motorhomes could be improved greatly in those areas tourists flock to with campsites offering overnight "Quick Stop" facilities for motorhome owners.
For those who do not know about "Quick Stops" this is a limited stay of one night usually between the hours of 6pm to 10am the next day at a much reduced daily rate.
Ezee
Why would the demographic you are describing with all that disposable income be influenced by a reduced daily rate. Makes little sense.:)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
For us - its not about money its about convenience and location.

We are in our fifties not quite retired with a decent income and eat out 2-3 times per week and are able to go away for over 100 nights per year. I would say that we fit the target pretty well.

We want to be close to the town/tourist attraction/beach so that we can passs in and out for shopping eating etc, so we can visit/enjoythe scenery of the place we came to see.

We dont want to be stuck behind hedges 10 miles away from it - and by the way if you didnt book it 3 months ago - forget it.

We re currently looking at going for a few days xmas shopping ( we have a large family to buy for) You would think York would be a good place but try getting on Rowntree park. Ok - lets look at London - Crystal palace? not ideal but no chance anyway.

So Bruges it is!! we re going to spend as much as on a site but we can walk in and out from the aire and once we get across the channel everything is cheaper and easier.

This is why we spend most of our holidays outside the UK. UK is too restricted.
If you ask me, motorhomers supporting the local economy with oodles of cash is a complete myth. Most wouldn’t even get a cab from an out of town secure site to do a bit of town shopping, let alone eat out in town three times a week while camped. But then there could be exceptions to all rules.:rolleyes:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When we go away I'm the camper we take drinks nd bottled water and some snacks to munch as we drive. If we know we will be arriving late we might put something in for the first morning breakfast. Everything after that is bought when we are wherever we end up

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many supermarkets abroad (and a few in this country) let you stop for a night on the car park, they are aware that normally, you would do a bit of shopping there so are quite relaxed about it, it doesn't seem to get abused either.
A policy of allowing stays officially without a site licence would be illegal. Even the ones who do allow it when asked may well break the law by exceeding the 28 night limit.
Some LA's in this country actively encourage motor homes to stay on them by having longer bays, an overnight rate and often a toilet, I often wonder why these Authorities think it is a good thing when others don't.
In most cases because somebody has provided them with evidence that there is a demand within their area.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you ask me, motorhomers supporting the local economy with oodles of cash is a complete myth. Most wouldn’t even get a cab from an out of town secure site to do a bit of town shopping, let alone eat out in town three times a week while camped. But then there could be exceptions to all rules.:rolleyes:

Well we do!!

And we do more shopping and eat out more when we re away.

Bowing to pressure this year I took my other half to Devon & Cornwall.

The roads were abyssmal - congested, narrow and rough.

The campsites were expensive and remote - granted they had lovely toilets but I dont need that.

The more memorable places were Lynmouth and Tintagel where we were able to park with no hassle, fully explore the places and pick a pub to eat in.

On the other side of the coin - we stopped a couple of nights at Damage Barton - in fairness a lovely view but there is absolutely nothing there at night - nothing at all.

I dont want to be relying on taxis. Its surely not unreasonable to expect to use the carpark ( thats already there)for a night or two.

Jon

ps 17 nights in Devon & Cornwall actually cost more than a previous similar trip to Brittany.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Why would the demographic you are describing with all that disposable income be influenced by a reduced daily rate. Makes little sense.:)

Because it could make good business sense encouraging more motorhome owners to tour in this country rather than cross the channel. However it would only work if parking for motorhomes is also improved. Owners do not need all the fancy facililities so why should they have to pay for them? The more choice there is for pitching the better. Even the French with all their aires have over 500 sites offering a "Quick Stop" service.
peedee

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I don't think that lobbying individual councils will have enough effect.

Perhaps if the 'Tourist Board' (or whatever it is called) looked at what is offered to motorhomers in Europe it might see a case for Aires to attract motorhomers from abroad, quite apart from increasing tourism from within the UK

Do any MPs have a motorhome ? - Margeret Becket caravans and ex-MP Edwina Curry has just bought a MH

A case for Aires has to be made to show a benefit to the whole of the economy of the UK

Then Aires could be created with national rules over length of stay, facilities etc

Anyone know an MP ?

(y)(y)(y)(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
God forbid that I would be turning this thread in to an immigrant thing, but most councils here are spending any spare cash on homing said people and traveler sites so they have enough new people without spending on free aires , things that are not such a big issue in France

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you saw on the news about Harlow in Essex under siege from travellers you can understand people being anti motorhomes parking up in car parks over night.

That is the councils fault , & the local population for not ensuring the council adopt a pòlicy of instant confrontation & removal/destruction anytime they attempt to set up. Whilst they attempt to bend over to 'assist' the scum they will continue to take the p*** & even more of them will roll in from abroad.

The last time we used the Motorhome here, we stayed in a CS at a cost of £18 a night!

That's why we travel almost exclusively in Europe and have bought a house in France.
The UK is great, but not very friendly to anything or anybody who doesn't comply with the "norm"
Allan

18 x 7 = the total cost of running my house here for 1 month !! :D & that is the problem with the UK. The place has become absolutely ridiculous with prices. maybe living there you tend not to notice, or with sterling income it keeps up: I don't know but all I do know is that for me returning after 12 years, & with no income ,or for any foreigner the prices are mind boggling.
The 3 months I had to stay this summer I refused to buy anything that I didn't have to.
My nephew & his wife who looked after my house here whilst I was in the UK now refuse to eat/drink out in the UK having become used to the prices here.:LOL:

I bought my MH to enable me to go around and visit all the places that I have alwayse heard about and never been able to visit. I am self contained, and require little outside support. All I need is somewhere to park whilst I am there spending my my money and getting experiences from these places.
I am a bit annoyed that when I do go somewhere I actually cannot visit it because there a re no places for me, not that I can find easily anyway. Got a campsite it is said, what for pay a bomb for things I do not need or want, need to book ahead, get trapped there because there is no transport into town or wherever, and regulated by a loads of rules I would not break anyway. All I need is a parking area where I do not have to pay lorry park fees.
I think the MH is going soon, and just stay at home.
Around Dover even the laybys have been blocked off by the authorities spending tens of thousands putting up armco to block them off, with fee paying PRIVATE lorry parks at either end, methinks a bit of undue pressure of vested interest was applied there?

Exactly !
Can't park outside the shop/attraction then I don't use /buy there . Always done it for the last 40 years.
P.s. If you come into Dover via A258 having turned right of of the Jubilees way then you can see the ferry port to your left & as you come past castle there is a huge laybay on the left , right on the road & just before you start going down the hill past the castle entrance.

A policy of allowing stays officially without a site licence would be illegal. Even the ones who do allow it when asked may well break the law by exceeding the 28 night limit.

It wouldn't/couldn't apply to any 24 hour stores as it cannot be proved that you are not shopping. It would also make it illegal for anyone to fall asleep in there car.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Another big problem is the size of the UK I know everyone isn't the same as us but there must be thousands who are, we, in our sixties have pretty much been everywhere in UK and there is just not the scope you get once you have crossed the channel , not just france but the whole of Europe and beyond, so you are left with younger people with children and they all want campsites not aires, not saying this is the Main reason by ay means but it all adds up.
We are an overcrowded island, our roads are clogged, cars are parked everywhere and going into most town centres is a nightmare for motorists. With all of this it is no wonder that encouraging MHs is not going to be a priority.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I see two issues here, one being the ability to town park for shopping etc. Personally never had a problem with this.

Second is to park overnight sleep in your van free of charge on the beach and in the town centre.
Which are we discussin today?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see two issues here, one being the ability to town park for shopping etc. Personally never had a problem with this.

Second is to park overnight sleep in your van free of charge on the beach and in the town centre.
Which are we discussin today?
Think it's pretty much discussed out, we ain't going to get aires like france and that's about sums it up, as for parking the amount of motorhomes that want to shop is minimal so can't see that altering a lot, but around here you can park on any supermarket park to shop at no cost so can't see that changing either.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Must be near me somewhere in DDC area.
I am trying to arrange for Dover to have an 'aire' type park where people might stay and visit the Castle etc and spend some money in the Town, unlike just going through and ignoring it.There are many places of interest that would be possible to see if only punters couls actually stop here.
It is a matter of trying to get the Authorities to actually allow it not pay out for it, I have introduced the idea to some of those that can make decisions but will need to wait to see what the reaction is.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In all honesty it wasn't much different here in Spain until last year. We even had some councils with totally illegal " No motorhome/autocaravans " signs showing you'd be towed away & others illegally prohibiting you even parking in the road !!!. Mostly around coastal areas although the main area that caused most problems for Spanish MHers was the winter skiing areas.
Basically the hoteliers/campsite owners/ anyone who didn't like them would get on to the relatives on the councils & you would end up with all these illegal prohibitions backed by the Policia Local ( Which is basically controlled by the local council. For those unfamiliar with the Spanish policing system the Policia Local is a sort of cross between traffic wardens/lollipop ladies & the Mayors tea persons.) So you'd get this lot " enforcing " something that the Mayor & cronies had dreamt up to placate the relatives .

Now we have this.

Broken Link Removed

It explains in detail , albeit in Spanish, the difference between being parked when you can legally eat & sleep & being camped .
The pictures are reasonably self explanatory.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I am trying to arrange for Dover to have an 'aire' type park where people might stay and visit the Castle etc and spend some money in the Town, unlike just going through and ignoring it.There are many places of interest that would be possible to see if only punters couls actually stop here.
It is a matter of trying to get the Authorities to actually allow it not pay out for it, I have introduced the idea to some of those that can make decisions but will need to wait to see what the reaction is.
The castle does allow Motorhomes to park if you can get though the entrance and when they have organised events there is plenty of level parking in the overflow car park ( field) with a minibus to the castle
There is a fair amount of empty space near the port where parking would be easy to set up and if someone in the council pulled their finger out and liased with the port authorities, I am sure something could be organised very easily.
The problem is, there would be no huge profit for the council in it and that's the reason most councils won't even think about setting up an aire.
Maybe we should be approaching fast food outlets for permission to park on their land. They seem to be able to build where they like!
Allan

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As hard as I try, I just cant imagine Mr and Mrs average motorhomer on their way to Benidorm deciding to stop off in Dover for a guided tour around the castle. Nah...motorhomers just want a kip so they can get an early start.:sleep:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not everybody goes abroad, some like to visit the /uk just not Dover cos' they do not like the place cos' no parking. I want to get a proper parking place set up that will suit allcomers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back