RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
WE stayed on the aire at Mont St Michelle Normandy Sept 2 years ago. This must have been built on a reclaimed swamp, never seen so many Mossies, it really freaked me out and ruined our stay there.
Phil
We stayed there at the same time and they were vicious, even biting through clothing but stayed there in June this year and no problem. It must have been because they were dredging the canal.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We stayed there at the same time and they were vicious, even biting through clothing but stayed there in June this year and no problem. It must have been because they were dredging the canal.
Glad it was not just me then. We are going to France again this Sept/Oct. But nowhere close to the dreaded Mont St Michelle. We only did it for friends as well.
Phil

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I've read reports recently that Avon have changed the formula of "skin so soft" and that its no longer so effective and that the new recommendation is Smidge. We've not been anywhere with midges/mozzies for a few years so I've no first hand experience of Smidge myself but I usually get bitten to death so I'll be trying it out in a few weeks....along with vitamin B, mozzie coils and plug in mats when we're on hookup.

Also - we have remis blinds on the MH windows, does anyone know if they'll stop mozzies or is the mesh too wide?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Can anyone help with where to buy Avon skin so soft? Aussie about to visit Scotland. Thanks

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
We use a non deet based product called incognito, works well for us they do a range of stuff. Having lived in Nigeria for 2 years didn't fancy covering ourselves with deet for that amount of time and they have the really deadly type mossies so we had to make sure we took all precautions when outside especially in the evening. We got bitten on our recent trip to France but that was as the start when we didn't think about using the spray. As soon as we started to use it no more bites.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We use a non deet based product called incognito, works well for us they do a range of stuff. Having lived in Nigeria for 2 years didn't fancy covering ourselves with deet for that amount of time and they have the really deadly type mossies so we had to make sure we took all precautions when outside especially in the evening. We got bitten on our recent trip to France but that was as the start when we didn't think about using the spray. As soon as we started to use it no more bites.

Just ordered some hope it keeps the little buggers away

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191911222443?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Can't use the Skin so Soft as it makes me itch so just have to use Deet based products.

Just Google Avon or Skin so Soft and you should be able to find a local rep.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just bought these...

20160805_205748.jpg

... in Balma Intermarche.

JJ :cool:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
When camping on fishing trips to the Zambezi in Zambia & Zimbabwe we used to spray Listerine all around the brai area as well as using deet based products on exposed skin - seemed to work quite well!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I use lard.(y) Then, when daylight breaks, you can scrape it off and fry your breakfast. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also - we have remis blinds on the MH windows, does anyone know if they'll stop mozzies or is the mesh too wide?
It'll only stop the big ones, the little sods that creep up on you in the night and have a nice munch will get through ...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We tried some wrist bands and they irritated us both and so took them off and unbelievably that little area it covered was exactly where our first bites were.
The mozzies/midges were particularly ferocious in June/July in Eastern France.
We discovered they were sneaking in the shower room skylight albeit it was closed and a mozzie gauze in place. Janet had an idea to seal the area with tin foil and duck tape. Within hours there were loads of tiny pin prick holes in the tin foil. OK!!! Duck tape over the entire skylight. Its around 6/7" square. Yes, it prevented them.
We still daren't unseal it but I suppose if I get my bomb suit on, I might try.
I don't know how they negotiated the skylight fitting. It was definitely shut and gauze in place. I don't want to seal the skylight permanently but I have some thin plastic sheeting that I thought, if I measure the area, I can drop the gauze covering, slid the thin plastic in (thin but solid) and replace gauze. Hopefully it'll work but won't know till next invasion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back