Antenna, and 2 x MiFis. Am I missing a trick here? (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As per the title, am I missing a trick here?
Before replacing the Poynting Puck 2 with the Poynting MiMo 3 V2 12, I thought I'd have a play around with it, connecting to either of my 2 x MiFis, and carrying out speed tests.

1. Huawei E5776s (one antenna port) connected to Puck 2, gave a download speed of around 9Mbps, and an upload of around 14Mbps.

2. Hauwei E5573 (two antenna ports), connected to Puck 2, gave similar download and upload speeds.

3. Huawei E5576 connected to MiMo 3 V2 12, gave a download speed of 12Mbps, and an upload speed of around 17Mbps, an improvement of 3 Mbps from test 1. (y)

4. Huawei E5573 connected to MiMo 3 V2 12, gave a download speed of only 0.7Mbps, and an upload speed of 2.9Mbps. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I carried out the same test twice more on the E5573, and got the same poor results, hence the question, "Am I missing a trick here? :Eeek:

I haven't a clue what's going on, but it's not right. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Speed from cell masts varies all the time depending on the number of connections to them at the time. Also a lot of masts broadcast on multiple bandwidths and the Huawie Mifi's don't give the option of selecting the bandwidth. Another thing if you are between two masts you don't know which one it's connected to or which one gives higher speeds.

We have a mast line of site across fields 1 mile away download speed can vary during the day between 30 to 50mb/s.

From my experiments I've found in strongish signal areas the biggest gain with the MIMO is in upload speed.

The important bit that counts is the difference in performance with & without the MIMO connected to the Mifi, try to do the test one after the other in shortest space of time between tests & repeat during the day and on different days.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The important bit that counts is the difference in performance with & without the MIMO connected to the Mifi, try to do the test one after the other in shortest space of time between test & repeat during the day and on different days.
Thanks Lenny. :) I'll have another go tomorrow, with and without the MiMo connected.
I just couldn't believe how poor the signal was, compared to the test with the Puck, less than a minute earlier. :(

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny. :) I'll have another go tomorrow, with and without the MiMo connected.
I just couldn't believe how poor the signal was, compared to the test with the Puck, less than a minute earlier. :(

Cheers,

There won't be much difference between the Puck and MIMO 3 at the higher bandwidths but if you connect to a cell mast broadcasting in the 800mhz bandwidth that's when you will notice the difference.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A couple of useful sites, Mastdata if you download the app you can use it for free the online version you need to register.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jock
We had a Motorhome 4G antenna with a Huawie router on our last van and had very poor results (Pershore and Lincon) both ours and others had better download/ upload speeds tethering to a mobile phone,
Just my experience đź‘Ť

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
JockandRita

Did you ever reach a conclusion on your tests ?
I too have a E5573S mifi and I'm looking to add a Poynting antenna but getting confused by the different models available.
All I can say is that with the Poynting MiMo 3 V2 on the North Norfolk Coast, and the Cornish Coast at Newquay, I was able to stream, Catchup TV, where others around me were really struggling to get a signal on their phones. :whatthe: Very occasionally we'd experience buffering, but with the Puck 2 on the North Lincs Coast, it was more frequent. :(
I did try both the MiFis I listed above again, and I have to say that the E5776 with only 1 x antenna port, was the better of the two...............every time. :whatthe: However, they are both a few years old now, so the more up to date MiFis may well perform better, but TBH, I really don't know.

Hi Jock
We had a Motorhome 4G antenna with a Huawie router on our last van and had very poor results (Pershore and Lincon) both ours and others had better download/ upload speeds tethering to a mobile phone,
Just my experience đź‘Ť

Going on from your post Steve, what I do know, is that when in France and Spain (Jan - March 2020), with the very same Vodafone 100Gb sim card I am using now, I was getting much better signal results and bandwidth than I have been getting here in the UK, with no buffering on Catchup TV, be it with the phone or the MiFi, (no antenna installed), and there has since been some suggestion that Vodafone have been proven to be choking/throttling the bandwidth here in the UK, despite them denying it. :whatthe:

I have just acquired a Hutchinson 3 sim card, which I will try in both MiFi's at some stage, to see how that compares for signal strength and bandwidth.

HTH,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I have just acquired a Hutchinson 3 sim card, which I will try in both MiFi's at some stage, to see how that compares for signal strength and bandwidth.
I did try the 3 sim in both MiFis, with antenna attached, (which at home on the driveway), gave similar upload/download/ping figures to the Vodafone and 1p Mobile (EE) sims.
However, I have just contacted the provider (Fonehouse), and cancelled the Three sim within the required 14 x days. I found that out in the South Lincolnshire fens for hours on end over the last couple of days, the Three signal was dire using my smart phone :( with that from the 1p Mobile (EE) sim being better for data (y) so will stick with that for now, with the Vodafone 100Gb sim remaining in the MiFi.

I may look at Minxy Girl Mel's link for the RWG Mobile, for a free secondary sim card for the phone, see how I get on with it, and maybe upgrade later on if happy. If I do get one, I'll obviously try it out in the MiFis too. :)

Cheers,

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Did you see my post comparing my TP link mifi, to a Huawei B535?

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Did you see my post comparing my TP link mifi, to a Huawei B535?

No, not yet Bobby, but going for a look now. ;)

Cheers,

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What we need Jock is some one with spread sheet skills and spare time to corelate
popular destinations and sim card performance
based on actual use and not provider claimed maps
any volunteers

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
What we need Jock is some one with spread sheet skills and spare time to corelate
popular destinations and sim card performance

based on actual use and not provider claimed maps
any volunteers
Agreed Geo, but not me I'm afraid, as not got the IT skills, nor as much time recently as I normally would have had. ;)

No, not yet Bobby, but going for a look now. ;)

Cheers,

Just had a look Bobby-gg. It sounds good, and I like the SMA antenna connection option, but I'd like to stick with my current 12v/USB power option and router location.

Cheers,

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
The B535 is powered by a mains powered 12v adapter, so can be quite easily ran from a 12v system - that'll be my next job đź‘Ť

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back