Another weight question. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
When I registered my imported Frankia at the Glasgow DVLA office they put my MGW down as 5300kg but it is only plated at 5000kg,it can be uprated to the former which I'am considering doing.The question is,do I need to? If stopped what do the authorities go by,is it the plated weight or what is on the V5? I checked what it says on the DVLA website via @icantremember link yesterday and it shows the revenue weight,which is 4110kg.This is what Frankia claim it weighs leaving the factory but with all the extras it weighs quite a bit more than that as I took it to a weighbridge last week.Someone else posted a link to a company that sells blank plates that you can enter the details on,would this be acceptable or would I need to prove with supporting paperwork that it had been been officially uprated if stopped ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Easy to put the weights on a blank plate but the important bit will be missing......the converters details and possibly serial numbers of the conversion documents.
I believe VOSA use the recorded V5 details and the VIN plate details otherwise anyone could take a 3200kg van and uprate to whatever they wanted to cover excess payload issues.
Easy and free to make it legal by filling in the relevant section of the V5 and sending to DVSA with a cover letter explaining the problem.
If you go ahead and uprate later you still have to do it all anyway.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Looks like a shambles to me. You have 3 problems;
1.the plate says 5000kgs
2 the dvla put MGW as 5300kgs
3. the dvla website states 4110kgs

None of it your fault yet you have the inconvenience of sorting it & the possibility of a fine if pulled due to their incompetency.(n) & they wonder why the are hated.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back