Another wee upgrade to our motorhome today, heater this time. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our elderly Swift Kon-tiki is in well above average condition & I've carried out many improvements since we bought the old girl.

I've always disliked the rather scabby heater though, but hated the prices for a replacement heater. The sad thing is that the existing Carver 3000S works extremely well, it lights first time every time.
Yesterday, I spotted a Carver 3600STC in our neighboring village for the princely sum of £35, so Hazel Mrsambulancekidd picked it up today on her way home from the shopping & I had a wee look at the job when she brought it home.
I realised that it might be a simple case of changing only the cover & after a few minor modifications it fits a treat, what a result. It took about 25 mins to do.
I think its a major improvement looks wise over the old one & I've still got the heater I bought to sell on in the spring.
Below is the old & above the replacement.
Carver 2.jpg
Carver 4.jpg

Carver 1.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I actually like the look of the original cover's 'two tone' paintwork, it if had been sprayed up with heatproof paint it would have kept it 'original'. Sorry! :imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If you ever want to upgrade further the truma s3002 is a very straightforward swap for the carver unit. Apart from a slight modification to the cut out in the floor for the burner base, everything else is a straight swap.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I actually like the look of the original cover's 'two tone' paintwork, it if had been sprayed up with heatproof paint it would have kept it 'original'. Sorry! :imoutahere:
Must admit that I agree with you there Mel, but from bitter experience I know that paint struggles to stick to the stove enameled finish on the older heater.
If it'd been in better order, I would have kept it.

Last edited:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I broke the plastic top section, knelt down to check pilot light was on then helped my knackered knees by holding onto top of heater as I stood up. Had to buy a whole cover as could not find plastic part. Installed a handle to stop me doing the same again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I love these types of heaters, the last time we had one was in our Rapido 709F - it was lovely putting it on and being able to stand in front of it with my top pulled outwards to allow the warm air to creep up it - nothing beat it then nor now for an 'instant' warm-up! :giggle:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I love these types of heaters, the last time we had one was in our Rapido 709F - it was lovely putting it on and being able to stand in front of it with my top pulled outwards to allow the warm air to creep up it - nothing beat it then nor now for an 'instant' warm-up! :giggle:
Any pictures....? :giggle:;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh it is and I NEVER get involved or start any of it.:angel::smirk::roflmto:
Tell me though ... do YOU also lift your top up to get a warm off the heater? If not, try it ... it's lovely ... you could even get Robert to take pictures for the NOB members (nosy old blokes)! 😄

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Tell me though ... do YOU also lift your top up to get a warm off the heater? If not, try it ... it's lovely ... you could even get Robert to take pictures for the NOB members (nosy old blokes)! 😄
Wouldn't work, I can never hold a camera with trembling hands! :oops::clap2:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Don't need to do that, my front overheats as it is....as for the NOB's, well they will just have to use their imagination, well they will anyway.;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wouldn't work, I can never hold a camera with trembling hands! :oops::clap2:
Just get the Mrs to take a selfie using the timer function ... I'm afraid you won't need to assist her in holding 'up' her top with your shaky hands even if you're willing to give it a try. :rofl:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I did the same as 78c. The top is some sort of hard plastic making it a bit brittle considering how thick it is. It wasn’t cheep so I was not pleased to find it cracked again.
I know I leant on it the first time but I can’t think why it cracked again.
As said a good heater that really throws the heat out fast rather than waiting for the electric heater to warm up.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Just get the Mrs to take a selfie using the timer function ... I'm afraid you won't need to assist her in holding 'up' her top with your shaky hands even if you're willing to give it a try. :rofl:
He's never had any trouble hold up anything where I'm concerned before.:unsure:;)
The shaky hands are a myth in his own mind.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I love simplicity of controls.

Our last motorhome required a degree in physics, another in electrical and electronic engineering, just to ensure that you had set the heating correctly.

Maximum temperature, minimum temperature, time on, time off, day of the week, “in use” programme, “laid up” programme, remote control via phone app.

Our new m/h has on/off, fuel to use, temperature required and that’s it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back