Another Vehicle Battery Problem (1 Viewer)

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Took our Fiat Ducato Toskana 1985 for a full service and it had to be jumped off. Battery turned engine but it would not start before battery ran out of steam.
During the service the guy said he would flush out the engine as the starting problem plus a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust could be because it had been stood a while and could be clogged up.
Brought it home and found it had a leak underneath, not present before the service. Tried to start it to take back to garage same problem battery turned engine of a short time but it would not start before battery became flat.
Mechanic said it needed new fuel injectors as air was getting into the engine and could be causing the starting problem and also the radiator needed replacing. He checked the battery and said it was ok.
Had this done brought it home and the next day it would not start yet again.
€800 further on and still problems.
Jumped it off and took it back to the garage. The guy rang this morning and said he had tried to start it with a replacement battery but still the same problem. He said the battery was a 70amp and he said he is going to try a 90amp to see if it will give the engine a bit longer boost. He is going to put the battery on today and leave it overnight and then try in the morning when it is very cold.

My question is: Has anyone else ever had this particular problem with a starter batter and if so how was the problem solved? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am now getting towards the end of my tether.

We have only had this motor home a few weeks and never been able to go anywhere in it yet.

ps when the engine is warm after driving around 10km to the garage it starts perfectly well. :Angry:

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can tell by your posts you are a little happier now lesley you were getting a little humour bypass earlier:ROFLMAO:.
Two things you can be sure of on here
people want to help you if you ask for it
most of us like to [HI][STRIKE]take the p[/[/STRIKE]HI] extract the urine
but its all meant in a nice friendly way:thumb:

Your battery has probably been to small for your van (in capacity not physical size) since you owned it.the bigger new battery is the way to go it will not cause any problems being a larger cca.
My dad had a triumph 2000 many years, it always started in cold weather but turned over quite slowly.everything checked out ok always, battery tested ok plugs points timing leads etc.
when the battery got rather old and had to be replaced we found out the wrong capacity battery had been fitted by the previous owner.With the new battery of a larger capacity the car started instantly and turned over much faster that had been the slow starting in the cold problem for years.
I wonder if that is what has happened to your van?

I think you are probably right not only was the capacity too low the physical size was half the size of the shelf that it sits on.

Regarding the humour bypass..... I did say at the time that I was at the end of my tether so yes I guess my humour was not at its best.

I know that the folks on hear are very helpful and I like a pi** take as next as the next person so apologise if I was a little harsh. Humour is now fully restored so extract the urine as much as you like. I can take it now, near nervous breakdown avoided.

Till next time!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back