Another Van with Windows! (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Well, here is our 'Van with Windows. Yes folks, it's officially impossible for a Police person to tell in traffic that this is a camper van.
Right.JPG
It's insured as a camper van, it functions as a camper van... but I guess as it's not a 'motor caravan' that means it is fine to park it on any British sea front for a day or three in full view of the annoyed residents, and claim to be White Van persons going about our legitimate business? :sneaky::unsure:;)

(Just kidding - we were mainly hoping we wouldn't be taken for Tradespersons on a Caravan club site. We've stayed on one so far and didn't feel out of place, everyone was very nice.)

Is there ANYONE out there who has actually had a panel van conversion passed? :LOL:

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not many. Mine came back as van with windows. No reasons given, no right of appeal. Phoned them and said it was ridiculous that you refuse an application but don't say why. How are you supposed to put it right.
Took the van to local DVLA and asked if they thought it was a van or campervan.
They agreed it looked like a campervan, they even looked up everything that was needed and then did a checklist. They said that everything was there for a campervan.
I sent in another application, same photo's as first time. Also sent a letter stating that should it not meet their standards I would submit a request under the freedom of information act as to why it was refused.
Came back 6 weeks later as campervan, I had altered nothing from when they refused it.
At the end of the day it just depends on who looks at your application, but don't let them fob you off with you have no right of appeal.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Think It solely depends on who opens the application. Forums I was on had less pass as camper and like yours they said some were more can with windows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
That's amazing - thank you for telling me this - ours meets every single requirement inside and out. We've even got a wardrobe and a loo. We might have another go. You do wonder why they even have a form and a process when they patently don't really want people converting vans.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What a palaver, I have heard tales from kitcar builders who have the same issues getting them through the IVA test.

Depends entirely on the persons mood on the day..:(

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I only know of a few that have been passed recently.
One wasn't anywhere close to the regs, but they had a relative at DVLA (honestly).

The other was a van I did last year for someone. It failed on first application, the owner added more graphics, reapplied, and it passed:

Garys Van.jpeg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Mine is a ‘Van with windows’ not sure if the Bobbies are not trained in Awning identification. I am getting the impression that the decals have to cover at least 2 panels above and below the cheat line to get accepted.
I am confused as to why they have such an issue with decals, anyone completing a Stealth van ie no decals is not likely to even bother to apply for re-classification so you would think that if it’s got an awning, some decals then most likely it’s going to be a motorhome/campervan,does anyone have the definitive rationale of the DVLA on this issue?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well, here is our 'Van with Windows. Yes folks, it's officially impossible for a Police person to tell in traffic that this is a camper van.View attachment 444028 It's insured as a camper van, it functions as a camper van... but I guess as it's not a 'motor caravan' that means it is fine to park it on any British sea front for a day or three in full view of the annoyed residents, and claim to be White Van persons going about our legitimate business? :sneaky::unsure:;)

(Just kidding - we were mainly hoping we wouldn't be taken for Tradespersons on a Caravan club site. We've stayed on one so far and didn't feel out of place, everyone was very nice.)

Is there ANYONE out there who has actually had a panel van conversion passed? :LOL:
Yeah got this one classed as motor caravan two years ago
IMG_20200914_170744275_HDR.jpg

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My neighbour tried 3 times to get his conversion classified as a Motorhome........gave up in the end.......it’s a Van with Windows......

(And a fix bed, shower room, 4 forward facing travel seats, fully functioning gas system and both mains and 12volt electrics. 3 opening roof vents and 3 opening windows.)

Just thought, it’s a plain white extra long Sprinter Van......but no graphics, that must be it? ;)

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
On a slightly different tack. Have just been on the comparison sites to insure my Series 3 Land Rover. For the last 43 years she has been a car now they all come up with her being a van.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My neighbour tried 3 times to get his conversion classified as a Motorhome........gave up in the end.......it’s a Van with Windows......

(And a fix bed, shower room, 4 forward facing travel seats, fully functioning gas system and both mains and 12volt electrics. 3 opening roof vents and 3 opening windows.)

Just thought, it’s a plain white extra long Sprinter Van......but no graphics, that must be it? ;)
Yes, if there are no decals on it there’s no chance, and I think the decals have to be big enough to cross the waist line .

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Is there ANYONE out there who has actually had a panel van conversion passed?
I converted a transit a few years back.. they were just starting this van with windows carry on... it had to look like a motor caravan in addition to meeting the requirements they had set out in order to be registered as a motor caravan..
most probably wouldn't meet their criteria now..
and they did do me for a goods vehicle exceeding the speed limit during the time I owned it ...but thats another story (y) :LOL:

20160915_112032.jpg

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
When I use to do a few Bongo/Alphard Conversions, we SVA'd them first, then had an inspection at the Local DVLA in Exeter where a DVLA and VOSA Inspector went throught it with their Checklists.
External EHU Point, Fixed Bed, ( not a mattress thrown over the folded down seats as it use to be ), Cassette Toilet, On board Water, Waste Tank, Metal lined Gas Locker with tether and vents and a lot more I've forgot about...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
.. but I guess as it's not a 'motor caravan' that means it is fine to park it on any British sea front for a day or three in full view of the annoyed residents, and claim to be White Van persons going about our legitimate business? :sneaky::unsure:;)

That's actually not a bad idea :) When the residents complain tell them to take the matter up with DVLA! They may finally get the message.

jimbo54

Free Member
Jan 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
jimbo1954
Well, here is our 'Van with Windows. Yes folks, it's officially impossible for a Police person to tell in traffic that this is a camper van.View attachment 444028 It's insured as a camper van, it functions as a camper van... but I guess as it's not a 'motor caravan' that means it is fine to park it on any British sea front for a day or three in full view of the annoyed residents, and claim to be White Van persons going about our legitimate business? :sneaky::unsure:;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wissel tells me that things have improved recently but also that insurance companies are no longer so precious about it.

jimbo54

Free Member
Jan 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
jimbo1954
hi yeah i just had mine come back as a van with windows.i think they refused it because of the outside of van.( any advise welcome). this is the letter i recieved from dvla

20240112_145929.jpg

20231205_125912.jpg

20231205_122320.jpg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Excuse my ignorance but does ot make any difference in what it's called /classified as ?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I did, on my 2007 MURVI in 2018.
I had to send in numerous photos &forms but, eventually got it registered as a ' Motor Caravan'.
I was surprised, no-one had done it earlier?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

No, But when I had a VW T5 Window Van for work, no sign writing, 8 Seat. The V5 Stated MPV. I visited a caravan site and I was told they did not accept commercial vehicles. I shown them inside but I had some tools in the back. I argued the case and shown my V5. Reluctantly they allowed me to stay, but only the once.

Fast forwards a few years. My Mate Moved into a New estate in Sandiway. After a few weeks he received a warning letter from the Developers, requesting he removed the commercial vehicle, a brand new VW T5 from the estate. Hew ignored it and a month later, the developer sent him a solicitors letter. Outlining the deeds and covenants.

He went to the site office and argued that a few residents had Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu Pickups. They rejected his argument that they were and it went to his solicitors. They wrote to developer, developer would not budge.

He range me for advice. End result was he bought a window van and took the seats out. V5. Stated "MPV" . Turns out a few of his neighbours had complained. Then still pissed off about the Window van.

Rollingwheels

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2021
Fordingbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Mine went through first go two years ago, I sent a pile of photos and a covering letter to say that I understood that a lot fail and if they intended to fail it I wanted every reason for refusal so that I could attend to these and resubmit. It may have been the letter I will never know but at least it went through.

Oct 13, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Homesmith
Exp
since 2015
Copy/pasted from the DVLA Website:-

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

My van (professionally converted Peugeot Boxer L2H2) has only one window on either side, apart from the cab windows, and only one on the back doors. It has no decals. I do not intend to try to get the vehicle type changed, and the builder said there was no need to.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wissel sends a few through process. Hopefully he sees this and can comment?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
hi yeah i just had mine come back as a van with windows.i think they refused it because of the outside of van.( any advise welcome). this is the letter i recieved from dvla

View attachment 854341

View attachment 854342

View attachment 854345
Welcome to the forum.

Won't happen. Doesn't matter.

Lots of threads on here if you search, and a 50+ page locked thread on the T6forum also covers everything. Multiple times. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back