Another Truma boiler problem? (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
This is the first time I have posted with a problem, although I have learnt a great deal from the forum and have read many threads covering boiler problems- but nothing matches this.

Our Truma 6E Combi boiler is dead to the world:
Last time we used it, a short while ago, it worked perfectly. But the first time we actually needed it while away - nothing!
No LED's on the control panel or boiler.
The 12v fuses on the Schaudt Electrobloc and boiler are intact.
The multimeter shows no 12v power going from the leads into the boiler.
The temperature sensor is intact and all connections are firm. All visible wires appear to be intact and are protected with trunking.
There is no evidence of rodents at work.

Truma say the control panel takes its power from the boiler.
I am now baffled!
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've had an intermittent problem with our 4e, latest of which was about a week ago.
As you say, control panel draws power from the boiler through a cable that looks like an RJ45 (telephone) cable.
Are you getting 12v supply at the (from memory) red \ black and white \ orange wires into the boiler?
If not, it's a 12v power supply issue. If you are, it's an issue within the boiler.
Have you checked the continuity of the 12v fuse (close to the power supply wires)?
We had power but nothing was happening.
So, tried the technical solution of "shutting down" the Sargent EC500 PSU, took the dog out for a 30 minute walk, came back and tried it again and it worked! Why? No idea!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
With regard to the fuses, I checked them with my meter. In fact I replaced the one in the electrobloc after checking that one also. The 12v power wires into the boiler are blue positive and white negative. They are showing no power on the meter.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Have you tried checking that the multi plugs on the Electrobloc unit are secure and pressed home, on the EBL119 junction block 4 seems to supply the heating 12v .but it may be different on another model.

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Yes GeoffnDee, tried that as well. As I said, it's got me baffled. Just hoping that someone with more knowledge than me or even someone who may have had the same problem can help before I have to put it in for investigations. Unfortunately it seems there are long waiting times for any repair work.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you've got no power to the combi (given you've checked there is none at the 12v input) you will need to trace back the wiring to locate the break. The obvious choices are any fuse or switch in the 12v supply circuit. Where they are on an Adria???

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps you could disconnect the 12V power supply at the boiler and test for continuity back along the + and - wires. A temporary power supply from battery to boiler (fused) would show if the boiler itself was at fault.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Do you know the model number of the EBL then it may be possible to work out which multi plug should be the 12v supply from it to the heating and check if it has power coming out of it it, if it has, the problem is between it and the Truma and if not ,and all fuses are ok, the EBL could be at fault and would need looking at by someone like Apuljack Engineering who repair them.
Another question, is any thing else not working ,step,step light, etc.

Last edited:

JohnE222

Free Member
May 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T720
We had a similar problem in our old Aviano. The boiler would start off working fine. After a journey, it was dead. To be brief, it turned out to be a bad connection at the battery. The battery was not fixed by clamps in the battery bay and was subject to movement during a journey causing a break in the connection. We firmly tightened the terminal connections and secured the battery in the clamps and that fixed the problem.

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
After examining wiring diagrams I think I know which leads go from the EBL to the boiler. I have been in touch with Apuljack Engineering and am waiting for a technician to contact me. I need to know if I can safely check the EBL 12v connection with a meter without causing damage. I will endeavour to keep you informed. I thank you for your responses so far.

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Okay, the receptionist at Apuljack said they were very busy but a technician would ring me back. Unfortunately it didn't happen, so I went ahead today and confirmed power from the EBL. Having done that I decided to have another go at testing the wires at the entry to the boiler. Last time I checked it I slid the multimeter probes down the inside of the spade connectors which showed no power. This time I managed to get the connectors off and again check them with the meter (not easy to get at-scraped knuckle). And we have 12v power. Should have been more thorough the first time. I'm now pretty sure it's the PCB. Consolations are, I don't have to remove the EBL and send it away and I don't have to remove flooring to check the wiring to the boiler. But I do to have the PCB sorted. (Bugger) Thanks all of you for your help and suggestions, they made me double check everything and get a result!

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Yes Lenny HB one of the first things I did, removed and tested, it was fine. Now have to find out how to extract the PCB.

Lucy the Laika

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 410
Exp
Use the 'contact us' function on the Truma website , they have always been really good with answers to me. Answers come back via german tech team.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just to confirm that we also had excellent service from Richard at arelectronics in cannock who sprecialize in Truma pcb's and they will test and return for a fixed price
Mike

paul in a van

Free Member
Jun 26, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Morning. I had a big problem with our 6e last year and ended up with a new boiler!
However I still have the new pcb I bought whilst trying to sort the problem out.
If you want my spare to try we can come to some arrangement if you wish.

May 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is the first time I have posted with a problem, although I have learnt a great deal from the forum and have read many threads covering boiler problems- but nothing matches this.

Our Truma 6E Combi boiler is dead to the world:
Last time we used it, a short while ago, it worked perfectly. But the first time we actually needed it while away - nothing!
No LED's on the control panel or boiler.
The 12v fuses on the Schaudt Electrobloc and boiler are intact.
The multimeter shows no 12v power going from the leads into the boiler.
The temperature sensor is intact and all connections are firm. All visible wires appear to be intact and are protected with trunking.
There is no evidence of rodents at work.

Truma say the control panel takes its power from the boiler.
I am now baffled!
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, may sound silly, but when I checked a fuse recently in my elektroblock... it was ok, so put it back.... in the wrong/spare fuse socket! Maybe double check you are in the right fuse holder AND it is put in proper, in bad light you can guide it to one side and it looks like it is in...

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Paul in a van,
thank you for your kind offer, please let me get back to you on it. Have to find out how to get the PCB out without damaging anything.
Just been out to the van and taken the covers off the boiler to get at the PCB, not easy as the boiler is under the bed!

John.

paul in a van

Free Member
Jun 26, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Manufacturers don't consider the people who have to service or repair equipment. Boilers are installed and then the rest of the van is built around it. In our adria the bolier is in the cupboard. You can only reach the slide off cover after taking out tge shelves. To d o anything else I had to disconnect everything to access the covers so I could access the pcb.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
No Abacist it won't work on gas, it won't work at all. If the PCB isn't working the signal can't go to the control panel and therefore can't be switched to work on gas or anything else. But thanks for asking!

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks again Paul in a van. What happened to your boiler that meant you had to replace it..That must have hurt!!!

paul in a van

Free Member
Jun 26, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks again Paul in a van. What happened to your boiler that meant you had to replace it..That must have hurt!!!
One day it worked, not the next. According to the flash codes, it started with the combustion fan. Eventually after trying the control panels, new cables, circulation fan and lastly the pcb, we ended up with a new boiler!

OP
OP
D
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
Update. Firstly let me thank those who replied. I contacted Richard at A&R Electronics and forwarded the PCB for testing,which came back ok. I then forwarded the controls, which came back ok. Then I removed the fan and motor, sent them, they came back ok. In the meantime I crawled under the bed and gave the boiler a thorough clean with an air pressure canister and vacuumed away a lot of dust. Put everything back together and hey presto the system is working again. Many thanks go to Richard for his help in trying to resolve this problem. I still don't know for sure what was wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back