Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If I had a transit based motorhome I would be taken the wheels off when it was not in use.I feel so sorry for the owners of stolen motorhomes I would be gutted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
What is the problem with the Ford Transits? I am thinking of buying a Murvi van on a Ford base!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello Aly, Ford Transits are very easy to steal and Ford are doing very little to stop it.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Yes Ive just seen the other threads. I will look into it more now.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
What is the problem with the Ford Transits? I am thinking of buying a Murvi van on a Ford base!

Don't .. They are the most nickable MH ever. Even Insurance Companies are asking if it is Ford Based. Apart from changing locks, Stopping the OBD II port from working and sitting in it all night you will never rest knowing it may not be there in the morning. Most of the Transits that are stolen seem to disappear completely which could lead you to believe they are just being broken up for valuable bits.

You can buy a lock pick for Transits on ebay for a few ££ and plenty of YouTube Videos showing you how to use it.

The FIAT Based versions seem to be much more secure from theft.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
It's the parts they're after not the hab side
The Ford transit is the biggest selling commercial van sold to date
Genuine ford parts are pretty pricey so gangs steal them
Park them up for a few days to make sure they're not tracked if not then they strip them and sell the parts
I think most Base vehicles are just as easy to steal but it's ford parts that are wanted the most

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Hello Aly, Ford Transits are very easy to steal and Ford are doing very little to stop it.

To be fair Fords aren't all that much easier to steal than any other make, they have the same Cat 2 immobilisation as any other van. I've seen just how quickly an AA locksmith started my Fiat with no keys.

It's more that these vehicles are being stolen to order and whoever is doing the ordering wants Transits, as @Paul and Kate says it's probably for the base chassis not the habitation bit. This is something organised not opportunistic.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, Nic I see what you are saying but you can buy a Tibbe key master tool on ebay for less than £20 and also an OBD tool that will start the engine ,I agree that its organised crime but if our Fellow Funster Eddie Vanbitz can stop your van being stolen so can the Manufacturers.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
See https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-vans-essential-cab-security-upgrades.132770/ for how to make a Ford Transit based motorhome more secure. They are no less secure than other makes just more desirable!

Fiat motorhomes have security issues too - improvement security suggestions here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-ducato-extra-locking-security-devices.142690/

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi, Nic I see what you are saying but you can buy a Tibbe key master tool on ebay for less than £20 and also an OBD tool that will start the engine ,I agree that its organised crime but if our Fellow Funster Eddie Vanbitz can stop your van being stolen so can the Manufacturers.

You've completely missed my point.

Yes you can do that for a Transit. You can also do exactly the same for a Fiat, Peugeot, Merc or any other make you care to mention. The reason that people aren't is that whoever is ordering the vehicles only wants Transits at the moment.

Yes, manufacturers could fit all manner of clever additional security but it would be at an additional cost that the vast majority of customers wouldn't want to pay. The industry standard is Thatcham Cat 2 immobilisation which all new vehicles have as standard. No manufacturer is going to go further than that unless they all agree to a new standard which isn't going to happen just because one particular model from one manufacturer is being stolen a lot in one relatively small country.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There's enough profit in vehicles that the manufacturer should made to ensure they are unstealable.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's enough profit in vehicles that the manufacturer should made to ensure they are unstealable.

The problem with that is that most people are stupid.

If they could make a truly unstealable vehicle, which I doubt, there would instantly be a whole new global industry rescuing all the idiots that forget how to start their car or van or lose the critical disarming device or otherwise break the vehicle.

That's why they fit the immobiliser they do. It works well enough to prevent the opportunist and it's more or less user proof. OK so it doesn't stop the organised pros but very little does.

It's not possible to make anything truly unstealable anyway. If someone really wanted it they could pick it up with a crane and have it away on a low loader.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You've completely missed my point.

Yes you can do that for a Transit. You can also do exactly the same for a Fiat, Peugeot, Merc or any other make you care to mention. The reason that people aren't is that whoever is ordering the vehicles only wants Transits at the moment.

Not quite true. The devices to introduce a bogus key or bypass key security on Fords are easily and relatively cheaply available. Current Fiats require an additional step to be completed before a "key" can be introduced to the vehicle. Last time I looked, the usual suspects weren't advertising anything to overcome that on newer vehicles. Merc vans need physical tampering, although thieves get round that by bringing a theft kit of relevant components from another Merc to fit on the vehicle they intend to steal - it takes more time though. Quite a few of these also stolen, although not as many as Fords.

Plenty of cars also at risk. A lot of them expensive and desirable makes, because the hackers making the equipment can afford to spend more on kit that they know they can sell in numbers. It also depends on location. Near here for example, Vauxhalls take a hammering. We're near to the factory and they are popular and prevalent in the local area. 20 miles or so round the M25, its a lot more Focuses and Fiestas.

Manufacturers are only interested in security to the extent that they have to be coerced into achieving satisfactory insurance ratings. A vehicle stolen and not recovered is another potential new vehicle sale! Not strictly true, but there is a lot of thought along those lines in certain parts of the industry.

One premium vehicle manufacturer suffering a high percentage of keyless thefts introduced a system as an option which locked down the immobiliser system and prevented any new keys being programmed for the life of the vehicle. They found that customers didn't want it, most are more interested in bling and gadgets than security.

As for profits, you might be surprised at the amount of penny-pinching that has been going on in the industry for several years, even down to deleting small parts from vehicles that were originally designed in, and which they think no-one will notice. Screw capping covers on trim panels is one that I'm aware of. Probably saves penny per vehicle, but mounts up over production.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Is this a European wide problem, or more prevalent in the U.K.?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have a ford based MH and went to Eddievanbitz for security and are very pleased .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As a Murvi owner (Fiat based) I wouldn't let the vehicle you are looking at being based on a Transit put you off. A good alarm/tracker/remote immobiliser will give you peace of mind. Of course, where you park it when not in use is also a factor. Parking it on the street outside your home is probably unwise. I could add where folk live in the UK is also a factor. I won't comment on your address! :)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another ford stolen its just been posted on facebook today I hope they get it back it has to be a gang stealing them

********STOLEN*****
Please look out for this it was stolen from outside our house in the Southchurch area of Southend-on-Sea last night. It's a Roller Team Zefiro 675. Contact police if seen.

23244437_10212599652960959_1280376799499529513_n.jpg

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another ford stolen its just been posted on facebook today I hope they get it back it has to be a gang stealing them

********STOLEN*****
Please look out for this it was stolen from outside our house in the Southchurch area of Southend-on-Sea last night. It's a Roller Team Zefiro 675. Contact police if seen.

View attachment 196130

Update
Just saw the below on facebook its been found by the police it had a tracker on it

The police have found our Motorhome. They say there's no damage (debatable).
Husbands on his way now to pick it up as it's too big for the police recovery.
I can imagine when I get home from Malta it will be surrounded by a coat of armour.
Thank you to every single one of you for taking the time out to share, the power of social media is amazing xxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back