Another Transit MH - Stolen (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

This is the 21st Century and a major automobile manufacturer is unable to stop their vehicles from being stolen with ease.

Surely they could have updated the software to remove the ability to learn a new transponder?

Attachments

• IMG_6692.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
What is a transponder ? How does this impact on stealing a motorhome ....or not ?
It's the chip in the key that tells the system you are the owner of the original key? On Fords you can reprogram the system to accept a new key.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Relevance.

Anyone with any knowledge of modern vehicle electronics knows that the thieves are one step ahead, it's not just Fords, although Transit based MH's seem more popular to steal.

Simply isolating the OBD port may well have prevented this theft & many others of any make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Same security issues for any make of motorhome chassis/van not just Ford! OBD protector & higher security/additional locks are a good idea on any motorhome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the big draw for the thieves is a combination of possibly worse security than other bases but mainly there are so many trannies around that a m/h with low miles and probably a lot better looked after than any van is a good target for bits. It would be interesting to know how secure other base vehicles are i bet there isn't a lot in it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think the big draw for the thieves is a combination of possibly worse security than other bases but mainly there are so many trannies around that a m/h with low miles and probably a lot better looked after than any van is a good target for bits. It would be interesting to know how secure other base vehicles are i bet there isn't a lot in it.
That's it exactly, thieves aren't interested if it's a motorhome or not, they only want the bits, doesn't matter if it was valuable to the owner, to the thieves it's just bits.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
As mentioned ALL modern motors are at risk not just trannies , it's the spares they want because of the volume on the road, it's a big market . Do they really want sevel spares ? . You just got to try and slow the thieves down , extra locks etc

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i spoke with my locksmith friend recently about the lack of security of ford transits as delivered. there are solutions but people are too lazy and cheap to fit them. none more so than a fellow locksmith that had his fully equipped transit stolen. in all worth as much as a new motorhome

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Not to worry,sure they are insured.

And you really think that that is acceptable? Are you by any chance in the police? That certainly appears to be their attitude.
The theft of one's motorhome, with all the equipment on board, is truly devastating. Full-timers have been known to lose everything except the clothes that they were wearing at the time.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
And you really think that that is acceptable? Are you by any chance in the police? That certainly appears to be their attitude.
The theft of one's motorhome, with all the equipment on board, is truly devastating. Full-timers have been known to lose everything except the clothes that they were wearing at the time.
No i am not in the police, just realistic.;)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Shiny Transit with motorhome conversion is I m afraid an ideal target for the Traveller Community, and there is no shortage of them in the Dartford Area . Unfortunately our boys in blue are totally devoid of resources and manpower to deal with this problem. Their time is taken up with domestic disputes and call from idiots who are on the shared brain cell scheme .
You have my total sympathy.

Having been in the plod in a former life you would not believe the number of time wasting calls received today.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Further to my last if you keep the pride an joy at home do invest in a 6inch diameter rising post to put in front of it. It is a very obvious deterrent, which is clearly visible to all. including the thieves !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not to worry,sure they are insured.
Oh, if only it was THAT simple!

Quite apart from the emotional aspect the bits and bobs they'd have left in it could easily be irreplaceable or difficult to source, and they'll not get the full value of them from the insurers as they often don't cover a lot of it, then of course there's the vehicle itself which they may have cherished and looked after over the years, the payout from the insurance company will be the trade value, not the forecourt price, so the chances are they will be well out of pocket and have higher insurance costs for quite a while in the future ...

I just hope it doesn't happen to you otherwise the 'smirk' that appears to have come through with your posting will be well and truly wiped off your face with the reality of it all!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Oh, if only it was THAT simple!

Quite apart from the emotional aspect the bits and bobs they'd have left in it could easily be irreplaceable or difficult to source, and they'll not get the full value of them from the insurers as they often don't cover a lot of it, then of course there's the vehicle itself which they may have cherished and looked after over the years, the payout from the insurance company will be the trade value, not the forecourt price, so the chances are they will be well out of pocket and have higher insurance costs for quite a while in the future ...

I just hope it doesn't happen to you otherwise the 'smirk' that appears to have come through with your posting will be well and truly wiped off your face with the reality of it all!
Why do people have to get so personal, and insulting, i was just stating a fact, very sad.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not sure if this applies to FIATS but you can that key thing on fleabay which moulds itself to fit trannies locks. :xsad:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why do people have to get so personal, and insulting, i was just stating a fact, very sad.
Perhaps it would have been better if you had been a bit more less 'light' about it ... after all they HAVE lost one of their most prized possessions so just pointing out the obvious wouldn't have helped them especially since it will not make up for their loss. Anyway, my view and your view, they don't have to match.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back