Another toe dip into europe... (1 Viewer)

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
I`m into my classic bikes so decided to attend a 2 day swap meet (autojumble) in Recklinghausen, Germany, I like the Harwich Ferry to Hook of Holland so booked it' day crossing out, evening back, costing £168 return which includes special email offer discount and I used my Stena Club points as part payment. 7.5m MH although when booking it covers up to 10m.

Arrived at the port Weds evening, The port allow you to park in the car park no charge, saves getting up at daft o`clock to meet the 9am sailing, so after a quick top up at Morrisons, we chilled out with a nice bottle of red. Because of the recent terror attacks there was a noticeable police presence, just cars driving around the car park, I presume to make us all feel safer.

Smooth loading in the morning as usual, very efficient friendly staff, crossing flat calm, beautiful day. I get the Stena Plus lounge for free as I`m a frequent traveller, ok, as coffee, tea, wine and soft drinks included. We now take our own food as much to my dismay have found the food served is absolutely awful, tasteless, cold and overpriced. The Finnish vodka available in the shop at 19euros a litre on the other hand is to be commended. Smoothest Vodka I`ve tasted to date.

Offloaded at 17.00hrs then an uneventful 3.5hr drive across Holland, into Germany to Recklinghausen, parked up outside the venue in the car park, no issues, nice quiet nights sleep.

Great 3 days at the show, storms on Sunday finished it off early as its mainly outdoors, where to next? No plan, quick look at the map Dortmund was only 20 miles away, never been there so found a StellPlatz on the outskirts, 8 euros a night, electricity was pay as you go at 50cents a KW, we spent 3euro over 2 days, running the fridge and kettle was the main usage. Weather was very very warm and humid, I`ve found the fridge runs better on hook up. Fresh water available by a machine 1 euro gives you about 80 litres, and the cassette emptying was free. Bins available for rubbish as well as recycling again, no charge.
Would definitely use this stop again, situated in a park with water park, lake, climbing tree top walks, plus much more, all at a charge but not dear.

IMG_3626.JPG

A 5 minute walk sees you at the local train station, 2 stops from Dortmund central, however, the ticket machine wouldn`t take any of my debit or credit cards, lucky we had some euros. An all day pass cost 10euros for the two of us. Dortmund was great to explore, a very modern city.

Thoroughly recommend it.....

From there we went to Amsterdam, stayed here... , site is self service gate controlled, cost us 44euros for 2 nights, hook up available but costs extra, water and waste facilities included. Great place to stop because of its location to the City, worth it in my view, will be staying here again, great place to stop, 10 minute walk to the free ferry which takes you to the Central Station

Uneventful drive back to port for the 2pm ferry, lands at 7.45pm, traffic was light on the drive home.

Great short break, made better by friendly helpful people. If you are thinking about it and unsure, if I can do it "pin in a map style" then anyone can. Just take your time, relax and enjoy.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We're down to harwich Friday for the overnight ferry into the hook for our 10 day Dutch holiday already planning Germany next year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back