Another Spanish town intending to clamp down on parking (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My pal who lives in Moraira tells me the local authorities are seeking to change the bylaws so that any overnight camping, or sleeping in caravans/ motorhomes on car parks, waste ground or streets will be banned and offenders fined. I think this will apply to Xabia as well, daytime parking continues to be ok, afaik.
Just somewhere else then that folk will stop visiting. It's a very big country with lots of alternatives

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Just somewhere else then that folk will stop visiting. It's a very big country with lots of alternatives

I’m with you completely, pop up in the hills and overnight stops that cause no distress to anybody are easily found. However the sheer numbers of snowbird motorhomes that want to camp on the coast are causing residents to complain, their local authorities have to take some action. I don’t know what the answer is but as eggs are eggs free camping near the coast in Spain and Portugal is becoming harder.
On a personal level visiting my old pal James in the Moho for a meal, some live music on a Friday night and lots of beer in Moraira has got more difficult because of these changes. GRRRR.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would suggest if want to wildcamp simply keep away from the large groups, move a mile or 10 miles away l bet you can find somewhere where the odd van or two are tolerated.. that's what we tend to do. We dropped into Cullera a week ago and were aghast at the volume of campervans etc sprawled across the waste ground trapped between the river and the sea. Heaven forbid a local emergency, ie flooding or a fire and all those vehicles struggling to extract themselves from the massive jam let alone camping amongst a hostile bunch of Germans or Dutch who looked as if they wanted to hurt you if you parked near to them. We even had one Dutch woman barking out "Nay Nay!" as we stopped the engine to look around.
We crossed over the river drove about a mile south and found a delightful location yards from the beach.
Yep I spent one night there last week and you could see the looks of panic on folks face incase you parked blocking their sun or taking up space where they parked their car or dryed their washing lol.

But the police seem to have no issues with that parking spot , it's out the way on waste ground and like others said the town would be dead this time of year without those 200 or so vans parked there all winter.
It's mostly Dutch and German vans and they build little communities lol.
I saw a few Brits there But scattered here and there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I’m with you completely, pop up in the hills and overnight stops that cause no distress to anybody are easily found. However the sheer numbers of snowbird motorhomes that want to camp on the coast are causing residents to complain, their local authorities have to take some action. I don’t know what the answer is but as eggs are eggs free camping near the coast in Spain and Portugal is becoming harder.
On a personal level visiting my old pal James in the Moho for a meal, some live music on a Friday night and lots of beer in Moraira has got more difficult because of these changes. GRRRR.
I think if confident enough in Spanish you can still challenge the police regarding parking overnight as they are not allowed to discriminate between types of vehicles.
So if you are not in it and it's parked your not breaking the law

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My pal who lives in Moraira tells me the local authorities are seeking to change the bylaws so that any overnight camping, or sleeping in caravans/ motorhomes on car parks, waste ground or streets will be banned and offenders fined. I think this will apply to Xabia as well, daytime parking continues to be ok, afaik.
There is a lot of ex pats there and it's popular with the Brits. As I understand it, local towns etc cannot change or over rule the national law that applies to vehicles, parking etc., except in the case where the Mayor owns the land that a car park is on and in this case, can amend the national law and restrict parking of motorhomes in car parks etc.,etc. I would be surprised if the land the Moria car parks ls on ia actualy owned by the local authority. Ive been wrong before though.:D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well as luck would have it I was just heading out for another walk with jade and the police have just arrived here.
He handed me this
20190217_180450.jpg

And said ....no parking

I said " that does not say no parking it says no camping and I am not camping"

I told him he was not allowed to discriminate between my van and the 50 or so cars and vans also parked here.
He just shrugged his shoulders gave me back this ticket and said " no autocaravanas parking here"

Not sure how easy it is to challenge it but 2 of the 4 vans that were here ( Angela included ) have moved on.

Can't be bothered with the aggro so I guess I'm moving along the road to somewhere else.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lots of people refer to that wild spot ar Callera, it looks overcrowded on Google Earth!
I always wonder what the two concrete circular shaped footings were for originally?, anyone know?
Les
It makes quite a nice stop over for a few days, wouldn't want to be there for months like some, nice town & beautiful promenade and beach. Those circles are just bare ground,that looks like and old pic, what do you mean overcrowded in those Google shots it looks empty.

Some towns like calpe now stop any motor home overnights unless on one of the 6 or 7 overpriced packed like sardines aires

Simple answer is to park in town during the day to visit town and beach and then move out the town before 8pm and park elsewhere overnight. Or just bypass it altogether.
Aye but it's a nice town and worth a stop to walk up the rock.:)
Last Easter only the expensive Aires had space we got caught for €27 a night & stayed for 5 nights my poor wallet still hasn't recovered.:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well as luck would have it I was just heading out for another walk with jade and the police have just arrived here.
He handed me this
View attachment 284344

And said ....no parking

I told him he was not allowed to discriminate between my van and the 50 or so cars and vans also parked here.
He just shrugged his shoulders gave me back this ticket and said " no autocaravanas parking here"

Not sure how easy it is to challenge it but 2 of the 4 vans that were here ( Angela included ) have moved on.

Can't be bothered with the aggro so I guess I'm moving along the road to somewhere else.
Is that the nice spot in Villajoyosa you were telling us about?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is that the nice spot in Villajoyosa you were telling us about?
Aye ...the campsite did look half empty right enough so must have been in the phone.

I moved to the carpark across the street for the night. Not as scenic but quiet and out the way

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
He handed me this
View attachment 284344

And said ....no parking

Yes! At the end of the day if they request you to move, it's the smart thing to do, even when they and you know they are in the wrong. It pays to keep a good relationship with the plod IMO.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes! At the end of the day if they request you to move, it's the smart thing to do, even when they and you know they are in the wrong. It pays to keep a good relationship with the plod IMO.
Aye that's my thinking especially as I want to stay under the radar lol.
I'll be gone first thing in morning anyway

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
In Spain wildcamping is forbiden and there is a clear distinction between park and camp. There is also the coastal law which doesn't alllow overnight into any vehicle with a distance of 500m from the shore.

Plus cities could have particular laws.

Obviously wate grey or black waters to any place not intend for it is forbiden. (Street drains are not allowed to be used for that because they are to manage rain water and they are separated systems from depurated waters ones).

In Spain, you hold liable even if you are not aware of the law.

Sometimes police are flexible.... other not at all. And sometimes they are wrong, but it s their word over yours.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@TinaL I think Tam answered your question.

We wild camp/park regularly but never on the coast with the hordes. We find a quiet, usually very scenic, spot and park as inconspicuously as possibly. We close the blinds when it goes dark, and we turn on the lights, so as not to attract attention. We don't put table and chairs out because we either pull up at dinner time or, if we find a parking early in the day, it's to go out exploring.

Long may this continue!!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In Spain wildcamping is forbiden and there is a clear distinction between park and camp. There is also the coastal law which doesn't alllow overnight into any vehicle with a distance of 500m from the shore.
Thanks for this. I must admit this is the first time I have been made aware of this law. Can you direct me to the actual legislation that states no wild camping and no overnight stays within 500 mts of a beach.
Thanks in advance.

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Could I suggest that in terms of where to park/camp and the legality surrounding it.

The Police cannot discriminate between, say motorhomes and other vehicles on the street.

However, park off the street, ie, beach, car park, waste ground etc and the goalposts (or parking places) move.
You will cease to be subject to National Law which have to be obeyed by all the Authorities ie no tables and chairs, windows open etc. but then fall under the administration of Local Laws and Bye Laws.

In these circs. I would suggest that the Local Authorities as in the UK can control their area by introducing restrictions to the benefit of the local community.

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
Thw area within 500m (I think it's 500m) to the shore line is not ruled by traffic laws only, but also by coastal law, which is the one doesn't allow us to sleep or camp (in a car, a MH, a whatever you imagine) inside this area. The law's scope goes betond the traffic matter and regulates other many aspects, for example, it ban you construct a house right in the beach (among other).

Coastal law goal is protect the coastal area. Again, in some places police could be flexible but the law is the law.

We Spaniard are also confused sometimes because the way different laws overlap concurrently

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the law of the costas was what made lots of houses be knocked down a few years ago.
as said some areas dont bother about it but some do. best guide is be one street away from the beach over night.
many places park by the beach you get moved . park at the inland area of a big carpark and you get away with it. its a game.
in many places its best to move inland over night but come back again first thing in morning. maybe use different places to park every night one here one there and back again. we have towns where the police stop and talk with us and ask where we have been etc . they tell us its good we alternate where we park it keeps locals happy.

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
Wildcamping in Spain is similar as in UK (but Scotland). It's forbiden but, with common sense, sometimes you are allowed to do it (which doesn't means is no longer forbiden)

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
If you hapen to be, by accident, parked next to the beach, you better don't camp. If you use your chairs, tables and so on do it in the beach as you were having a sunbath, providing you take care of your wate, that's allowed. Doing the same thing in a parking, street, etc, etc... is forbiden.

Spilling ANY liquid is forbidden... even cristal clear water.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
This wildcamping seems like hard workto me!

Reactions: f6c

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

And it's getting harder, because of the ones that set up camp for 5 months, here in Javea after 2 days parked on a road outside your house you might get a 300 € ticket. :mad: Bob.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is almost impossible for me to put into words how "effing" frustrated I get reading the views of so many folk re "Off-Site" motorhoming.

They see a photo of a cluster of motorhomes squashed together on some beach or carpark or bit of waste land and assume that is what all "Off-Site" motorhoming is like everywhere.

It isn't.

The same old (non original) comments are spouted like...

"I wouldn't want to sit in a carpark" or

"They spend all that money on a van, they can afford to pay for a campsite" or

"I shudder to think what they do with their black waste" and so on and so on and so on.

Such comments reveal a total lack of understanding of what REAL "Off-Site" motorhoming can be like.

In my experience, there are NO problems, NIL problems, ZERO problems when motorhoming "Off-Site" if you do so WITHOUT joining up with a load of other motorhomes doing the same.

I am ending my seasonal visit to the Algarve tomorrow and will be heading back to QMJ slowly, visiting a few favourite spots on my way.

None will involve campsites.

No one will bother me or write to the (ex pat) press complaining about me because it is just me... and my beloved (old classic) Hymer.

Since Christmas I have spent 4 (four) nights paying for parking (total €16) at Armacão de Pera meeting up with friends and 2 (two) nights (total €12) at Alvor... so don't call me "tight".

I have spent many, many more nights at a beautiful, spacious spot, where a small number of vans (10 max) hang out, on and off, most winters. FREE

I HATE being squashed in an area with lots of other vans. If "my" spot gets too busy I move.

If folk want to spend their motorhoming time on campsites, fair play to them.

Enjoy it.

But please leave us Freedom Loving Types alone.

We KNOW the truth!

(Sorry about the rant...)

JJ :cool:

PS. Many, many thanks to the wonderful Funster friends of mine who shared one of their (very) secret spots with me. (Only took me three years to get it out of them.)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
Agree, last thing we want is being sandwiched by two Motorhomes a meter either side. Give me a fully serviced pitch on 120 sq m every time. It’s all a matter of choice!

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
It is almost impossible for me to put into words how "effing" frustrated I get reading the views of so many folk re "Off-Site" motorhoming.

They see a photo of a cluster of motorhomes squashed together on some beach or carpark or bit of waste land and assume that is what all "Off-Site" motorhoming is like everywhere.

It isn't.

The same old (non original) comments are spouted like...

"I wouldn't want to sit in a carpark" or

"They spend all that money on a van, they can afford to pay for a campsite" or

"I shudder to think what they do with their black waste" and so on and so on and so on.

Such comments reveal a total lack of understanding of what REAL "Off-Site" motorhoming can be like.

In my experience, there are NO problems, NIL problems, ZERO problems when motorhoming "Off-Site" if you do so WITHOUT joining up with a load of other motorhomes doing the same.

I am ending my seasonal visit to the Algarve tomorrow and will be heading back to QMJ slowly, visiting a few favourite spots on my way.

None will involve campsites.

No one will bother me or write to the (ex pat) press complaining about me because it is just me... and my beloved (old classic) Hymer.

Since Christmas I have spent 4 (four) nights paying for parking (total €16) at Armacão de Pera meeting up with friends and 2 (two) nights (total €12) at Alvor... so don't call me "tight".

I have spent many, many more nights at a beautiful, spacious spot, where a small number of vans (10 max) hang out, on and off, most winters. FREE

I HATE being squashed in an area with lots of other vans. If "my" spot gets too busy I move.

If folk want to spend their motorhoming time on campsites, fair play to them.

Enjoy it.

But please leave us Freedom Loving Types alone.

We KNOW the truth!

(Sorry about the rant...)

JJ :cool:

PS. Many, many thanks to the wonderful Funster friends of mine who shared one of their (very

I think most people are objecting to those who ‘ghettoise’ beaches, car parks and other private land causing a nuisance, not people who do what you describe

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Looks quite pleasant right on the beach I'd rather be somewhere that than on a site. Why do you need facilties I can suvive 5 days without servicing, longer if we don't have a shower every day.
Really !! are you stirring the pot:LOL:

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Agree, last thing we want is being sandwiched by two Motorhomes a meter either side. Give me a fully serviced pitch on 120 sq m every time. It’s all a matter of choice!
Campsite
20190217_151812.jpg

Wildspot
20190217_093851.jpg

I think perhaps in some instances you gave those distances confused.

Every campsite I've seen over here is ridiculously cramped ....a metre between would be luxury.

My wild spots are fully serviced too ....cause I'm in a van designed and built to be independent of a campsite

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's not the worst part, clearing off and leaving your van unoccupied for the day can be a real restriction on getting out and about.
Why?

I do it all the time

I've found wild spots to be safer than your average campsite ....heard numerous tales of thefts from campsites , bikes , scooters, folks fridge vents etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back