Another Question - sooo many questions this time Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
Firstly I would like to clause that this message is from the hubby, he drafted it and sent it to me saying "can you put it in that group you joined that helps us all the time" :LOL: I tell you best £15 I've ever spent!

It's long and there are a few questions.....so here goes

Can someone give me some advice re the rear suspension controls in my rollerteam 746 please. The controls in the photo are in the cab and I’ve had a look online to try and get some info re what they are for and the settings they should be at. The total weight of the motorhome will be about 3.85tonnes and there’s different advice re optimal bar pressure but somewhere between 2-4 seems to be the most common advice, depending on conditions and what feels best to drive

What I’m not sure about is : - should I always just pump them both up at the same time to the same pressure by putting both taps to the vertical position and then attaching to an air source until they’re at the desired pressure?

- is it worth investing in a manual foot pump to keep them topped up or is this the kind of thing you just do every few months at a petrol station?

- how would I check the pressure on each side with only one pressure gage? If I only have one of the taps on will it show me that pressure, and then if I turn that one off and turn the other one instead it will give me only that one when I start pump, is that right?

- Do you ever have to lower the pressure and if you do how do you do it?

- if anyone has any advice of how they use this intuitively depending on certain situations, and vary pressure accordingly based on their own tinkering that would be great I’ve never had a vehicle with this before so it’s totally new to me - not something I’ve had to worry about before!

Told you it was long, thanks in advance 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-202447_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-202447_WhatsApp.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 64
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Set the pressure within the min and max pressures to suit how you like it.

If the van is evenly loaded....then both sides can be filled to the same amount. However you can just do one side to trim the level if required.

You can use any pump....most use either a hand pump or the compressor supplied instead of a spare wheel.....if they don’t have an onboard compressor for the air suspension built in.

Close both valves in and press the nipple where the pump connects to, to empty the pressure from the manifold, then open the valve for the side you want to check......repeat to check the other side.

Release the pressure through the inflation point by pressing the nipple in....it doesn’t take much air to inflate or deflate.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as there is only one fill point there must be a link above the valves so opening one tap and filling will give reading for that side shuit tap and idealy reset gauge by depressing the shrader valve then repeat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I had a day training course at a Motorhome Airbag fitting centre near warrington.
The tag line on the advert was 'if your van has a saggy bottom' fit air suspension.
They fitted manual blow up air bags with a standard airline schreider tyre inflator valve as yours has or a 12V electric pump { 12V switch operated }.
If you are going on a ferry or up a steep incline and there is a risk of bottoming out you can pump up the air bags to give extra rear ground clearance to save grounding and scraping the floor.
They are also good for optimising the driving experience. Pump them up to a softer or harder ride.
If you look in your vehicle booklets you may find the installers pamphlet that will give you more info as to the range of minimum and maximum PSI inflation.
They should be both the same PSI left and right to be balanced.
Company in Warrington charge around £1,000 to fit air bags.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be...
Open both valves... inflate to 2.5 to 3 bar
Close valves.
Enjoy your trip.

Next time, open both valves, check pressure, inflate if/when required. Close valves.
Enjoy trip.

Rinse & repeat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
Close valves.
Enjoy your trip.

Next time, open both valves, check pressure, inflate if/when required. Close valves.
Enjoy trip.

Rinse & repeat
Hahaha this really made me laugh! It sounds like me talking to my husband 🤣 thanks for advice

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Close valves.
Enjoy your trip.

Enjoy trip.

Rinse & repeat

As Langtoftlad said

You have appear to have the same setup as I fitted to ours.
The load on our rear axle is around 2000kg and I usually set the pressure at 34psi which gives a nice ride, if I raise the pressure to say 38psi the ride is noticeably harder, below 28psi too soft, you just have to experiment a bit as every van varies.
To top up the pressure a few pounds I use a bicycle pump or a small 12 volt compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.
The valves must be in the closed position except when checking or adjusting the pressure.

FFCEE138-AEF0-47DF-A142-CD5D570F36FB.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back