another question...dehumidifiers? (2 Viewers)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I
yes, very true , also the fire risk.. but the point is that the vans don't suffer or get damp by not heating or dehumidifying.. no one has yet produced data that suggests it's beneficially.. another gassing story ?

anyway.. like I said.. some people will always do it .. others like me don't, in 40 odd years of owning vans I've never had a need to heat or dehumidify ..

yes, it's a good plan to pre heat the van before a winter trip .. I've done that.. fan heater or convector on for 8 hours or so before leaving.. or just run the vans heater..
accept what you say, however do you think it could do more harm than good by having the heating on low as this is what I currently do even thou my van is only a year old
Just had its first hab check today and reading of about 8% throu out the van which the dealer informed was fine
Your input would be helpful
And yes I do think there's a possibilty of gassing going on, but that's another story

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We go round the dehumidifier question regularly at this time of year.
If you want to use one please do, it will collect water in its tank,consume electricity and maybe make you feel better and sleep easy at night.
What it's not doing is changing the RH in the van. All MH's are not air tight, the dehumidifier in the van is removing water vapour from the air in the van but this will be immediately replaced by water vapour from the ambient air.
It is the same as putting a small vacuum pump in the van and expecting it to reduce the air pressure in the van, it just cannot be done.
Better to be sure then van has no damp issues and that fresh air can circulate to all parts, best of all use it in the winter!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I

accept what you say, however do you think it could do more harm than good by having the heating on low as this is what I currently do even thou my van is only a year old
Just had its first hab check today and reading of about 8% throu out the van which the dealer informed was fine
Your input would be helpful
And yes I do think there's a possibilty of gassing going on, but that's another story

I am buying a new van next spring and won't be heating it in winter, but will be using it almost daily .. but even if it were laying idle I wouldn't be heating or dehumidifying..

I think you have to decide for yourself.. you have read several verdicts, I have given my advice.. unfortunately they don't agree.. never will.. it's a hung jury

ventilate , open cupboard and locker doors, drain down and put cushions up on edge to aid air circulation..

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
ask Peter what he does at JohnsCross motorhomes

in winter, dealers don't heat or dehumidify vans on the forecourt..
Comparing what some dealers do and what we do as MH owners is like comparing apples to pears! A lot of dealers leave MH open and hundreds of people traipsing through them, I certainly wouldn't allow that in my MH, also some dealers arnt bothered one bit if a MH they are selling is damp, I know of several people who have unsuspectingly bought a MH from dealers and subsequently found out its damp.

It's about personal preference and circumstances, if possible then low heat and useage is my choice to keep damp away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back