May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
None - but learning fast!
Hello everyone!

Caravanners at the moment (no boo's please, gentle leg pulling acceptable ;) )
Still debating pro's and con's of not having an easy vehicle for pootling around when based on a site for a while, but appreciate its a different kind of holiday in a van.

Not actually got our first moho yet but looking very seriously and viewing one on Monday. It's an Apache 634U 2011. It's got the standard 3500kg plate which I don't think will be enough payload for us - it also already has a 80w solar panel, Fiamma 2 bike rack and extra leisure battery on board.

I've read through quite a few related posts but would just like some opinions on pros and cons of uprating - does it affect speed limits, ferry/tunnel cost etc. Also, does anyone know how much it costs please?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to sharing some of our stories once we get going!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For some reason speed limits are based on Unladen weight, over 3050kg will incur lower limits, no affect on ferry or tunnel costs, of course uprating Gross weight will not affect the Unladen weight, over 3500kg GVW should be higher toll class on French tolls but I think that height is more of a trigger really.

Martin

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve recently had our van up plated from 3500to 4100 as our van is on the maxi chassis, it’s made no difference to ferries and tolls and speed limits should be just as before as our van is under 3050kg unladen weight and the road tax is a lot cheaper £165.
We had ours done by JR Consultancy for a total cost of £150 just a paperwork exercise with our van.

Ho and welcome to the forum.
John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Before you jump look again at your requirements for getting about when on site. We don't tend to stop very long anywhere but always try to choose somewhere with easy access, by foot or public transport - which in itself can be an adventure! Often taking a medium sized van into towns and cities is a non-starter - even those who provide aires or parking can't guarantee the place won't be infested with local cars. However if you plan to carry bikes and are happy to use them, go for it.

Motor-homing suits our style of touring, but although quite a few have moved over from caravans it is a very different way of life.

You're right to suspect you may need a weight upgrade (ensure your licence covers you to drive over 3500kg). We used SVTech who are the acknowledges experts and are very helpful. They advised us what was possible and what was needed, including ideas for sourcing - we had rear suspension air-assist fitted plus slightly larger tyres with a heavier weight loading, which was necessary for the maximum permissible increase on our chassis. You may not need to go the full monty. It was some years ago now and I think it was around £250, but they provided all the paperwork, new weight plates and even instructions to the DVLA!

Oh yes :welcome4:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
For some reason speed limits are based on Unladen weight, over 3050kg will incur lower limits, no affect on ferry or tunnel costs, of course uprating Gross weight will not affect the Unladen weight, over 3500kg GVW should be higher toll class on French tolls but I think that height is more of a trigger really.

Martin
Thanks Martin.
Struggling to find unladen weight but will assume it's under the limit.
The height is 3.07 - probably the wrong side of 3m...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
I’ve recently had our van up plated from 3500to 4100 as our van is on the maxi chassis, it’s made no difference to ferries and tolls and speed limits should be just as before as our van is under 3050kg unladen weight and the road tax is a lot cheaper £165.
We had ours done by JR Consultancy for a total cost of £150 just a paperwork exercise with our van.

Ho and welcome to the forum.
John.
Thanks for the info - will look them up!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
Before you jump look again at your requirements for getting about when on site. We don't tend to stop very long anywhere but always try to choose somewhere with easy access, by foot or public transport - which in itself can be an adventure! Often taking a medium sized van into towns and cities is a non-starter - even those who provide aires or parking can't guarantee the place won't be infested with local cars. However if you plan to carry bikes and are happy to use them, go for it.

Motor-homing suits our style of touring, but although quite a few have moved over from caravans it is a very different way of life.

You're right to suspect you may need a weight upgrade (ensure your licence covers you to drive over 3500kg). We used SVTech who are the acknowledges experts and are very helpful. They advised us what was possible and what was needed, including ideas for sourcing - we had rear suspension air-assist fitted plus slightly larger tyres with a heavier weight loading, which was necessary for the maximum permissible increase on our chassis. You may not need to go the full monty. It was some years ago now and I think it was around £250, but they provided all the paperwork, new weight plates and even instructions to the DVLA!

Oh yes :welcome4:
Many thanks!
We have two dogs so don't tend to go into cities much tbh, long walks in the countryside around the sites or along the coast is our preference, along with the odd dog-friendly pub.
We haven't tried biking with them alongside as I think this would potentially cause chaos for all of us!
I'll drop SVTech an email tomorrow as well then thanks. I hope I don't have to spend too much before we even start but we need to be within limits at the same time!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Speed limits are based on unladen weight in the UK but abroad its on the MAM/MTPLM, up to 3500kg same as cars, over 3500kg restricted speeds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
no one has mentioned licences do you have a licence to drive over 3.5 tonnes?
I do - fortunately (?) I'm old enough to have passed in 1976... I can drive for another 10 years without issue and would reconsider at that point about weight requirements. Thanks for the heads up though :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
Speed limits are based on unladen weight in the UK but abroad its on the MAM/MTPLM, up to 3500kg same as cars, over 3500kg restricted speeds.
Many thanks - my other half is always telling me I drive too fast so she will be happy to hear I'd have to go slower abroad..!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Got it! Thanks :)
IMG_4610.PNG

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Thanks Martin.
Our Autotrail is listed as 3.0?metres (can't remember the exact detail) for height clearance I assume 3.1mts to be safe but when I measured it with part load came in below 3mts . Never been a problem on French tolls. Increasingly over 3500kgs is attracting need for commercial Go boxes on motorways, Austria and Slovenia in particular.
Another vote for S V Tech. Probably most helpful company I have ever dealt with.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Many thanks!
We have two dogs so don't tend to go into cities much tbh, long walks in the countryside around the sites or along the coast is our preference, along with the odd dog-friendly pub.
We haven't tried biking with them alongside as I think this would potentially cause chaos for all of us!

Like you we don’t go into cities as we have a dog. We do like to get around on our bikes though. We bought electric bikes and a Tail Wagon for our dog. We tow him along... he loves it!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome!
Tugging is fine (possibly better) in the UK, but you'll prefer a motorhome on the continent.
You're probably right about payload. There are several benefits in getting it uplifted but you may not be able to carry the maximum because it's usually difficult to load the front axle to that extent.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have had several Autotrails over the years and spend to much time on Forums and Facebook groups. :whistle:
The 634 is a lovely van and layout HOWEVER the payload issue is something that constantly comes up, the current 634 (2018) has the worst payload of all the vans made by Autotrail. It uses the medium chassis so is limited to how high you can upgrade.
From the Autotrail brochure the 2011 model has only 240kg of payload when the van is at 3500kg. An increase to 3650 wil add another 150kg.

Motorhome v Caravan, On the minus side you cant pop out in your car but we find we use public transport more and also do more walking. On the plus side when in Europe there are many places dedicated to motorhomes and good access to the towns cities. Even in UK, you can park in the centre of places like Chester, Liverpool etc but not in a caravan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
Welcome!
Tugging is fine (possibly better) in the UK, but you'll prefer a motorhome on the continent.
You're probably right about payload. There are several benefits in getting it uplifted but you may not be able to carry the maximum because it's usually difficult to load the front axle to that extent.
Might end up keeping both caravan and moho then.. ;)
I also think I might end up storing stuff in the overhead cab, to spread the load over the axles. Maybe fit a cargo net up there... :)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you decide to uprate, then what you shouldnt do is take a photograph on your mobile phone of your V5 where it shows your weight as 3500 kgs and then take a photograph of your V5 with it showing 3650 kgs.
If you dont do this then you cant get confused in Switzerland when buying a vignette or Austria and Slovenia for a Go Box, and wo betide inadvertently showing the wrong one if you went over a 3.5 tonne bridge or were slightly speeding at the upper rate.

Remember i told you NOT to do it. (and i never take my own advice) !!

Welcome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wandalust

Wandalust

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 634U
Exp
If you decide to uprate, then what you shouldnt do is take a photograph on your mobile phone of your V5 where it shows your weight as 3500 kgs and then take a photograph of your V5 with it showing 3650 kgs.
If you dont do this then you cant get confused in Switzerland when buying a vignette or Austria and Slovenia for a Go Box, and wo betide inadvertently showing the wrong one if you went over a 3.5 tonne bridge or were slightly speeding at the upper rate.

Remember i told you NOT to do it. (and i never take my own advice) !!

Welcome
Great advice Suavecarve - I'll definitely take your advice and not do that.. ;)

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks Martin.

Our Liaka is just over 3m and 7.5m long. We go through the French Tolls as Class 2. Sat Nav is set to avoid tolls if possible. As we only travel between 80 and 90 Kph hardly worth going on the toll roads. Never in that much of a hurry.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back