Edit sorry doesn't seem to work but it's about another site being closed

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
the only one that I can think of that would be the camc Baltic Wharf.....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The link above is incomplete. Should be https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/harbourside-caravan-park-blasted-nonsense-1944802
Apparently one of the cabinet members of the council wants Baltic Wharf to be used for housing, which is a different reason from a few years ago when use for a school was proposed.
It's hardly surprising, though, that such a prime site should be under threat, especially when the CAMC is aware that the lease is far from permanent.
When the site was threatened a few years ago they should have negotiated an agreement for a replacement. There is plenty of land next to at least one of the P&R sites (or was at the time anyway).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Baltic Wharf is such a lovely site so convenient for a visit to Bristol City Centre, on the waterway, almost next to Brunel's SS Great Britain. It will be a sad loss but its been under threat for quite a long time. Also the demand is there as the site is always booked up well in advance.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seems one of them is a camper and still voted to close it(n)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I believe that the Government pays Councils about £19k for every house built - perhaps that has some bearing!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I believe that the Government pays Councils about £19k for every house built - perhaps that has some bearing!
that's something I didn't know, explains a lot though

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Someone on a backhander?
Why ask that? Is there the remotest suggestion of any evidence of one?
Those of us who recall the discussion, 4 years ago, when the site was under threat will know that Baltic Wharf has been on short term lease for years and the CAMC is well aware that it needs to find an alternative.
Then they will wonder why we overnight on the road and car parks.
Given that Baltic Wharf is open only to CAMC members, many of whom will be in caravans, its closure would hardly affect many people would it? Especially those who maintain "we don't want to camp on sites" and those who want to pay far less than the CAMC charges.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Why ask that? Is there the remotest suggestion of any evidence of one?

There very rarely is G, but it's quite often there somewhere, when councilors get very keen on doing something, that potentially involves a lot of money.

Over the years I have seen it happen in Ipswich, and cynic that I am, I can't believe it doesn't happen elsewhere.

You only have to look at our MP's.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There very rarely is G, but it's quite often there somewhere, when councilors get very keen on doing something, that potentially involves a lot of money.

Over the years I have seen it happen in Ipswich, and cynic that I am, I can't believe it doesn't happen elsewhere.

You only have to look at our MP's.
No doubt it does happen Olley. Here in Middlesbrough the Labour clique currently in power gained that power by breaking party rules but the party decided not to throw them out and people still vote for them even though their actions have been well publicised in local media.
In my experience of over 35 years, though, the actual level of corruption was far less than the level of accusations.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If they’ve known for a long time it’s only a short term lease but still haven’t bothered either renegotiating it or finding an alternative site surely the caravan company have nobody to blame but themselves?

Not an issue that particularly interests me as I despise Bristol so wouldn’t visit the place even if there was an aire type facility.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I heard that camc have applied for planning permission for land next to the P&R but not yet got it.
Even if they are doing something there, they do not seem to have made the number of pitches available countrywide keep pace with their (claimed) growth in membership.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not an issue that particularly interests me as I despise Bristol so wouldn’t visit the place even if there was an aire type facility.
Although not a Bristolian - originally from the Midlands - I've lived on the outskirts of the city for 30+ years. And worked in it for 20.

Just out of idle curiosity, wonder why you dislike the place so much? As far as cities go, I've always been quite fond of it.

Just to add, to keep the thread more or less on topic, I've never stayed at the C&MC site, because I go past it nearly every time I go into town. It's a shame it has to go, but guess it's on borrowed time...

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
I thought the site was full of people living there while they worked locally. Moving off for the required time when needed.
Regards
p-c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Completely unrelated but I couldn't agree more.

Scarboroughs Futurist theatre site has been sold to the owner of Flamingo land at Malton for £1.8M on the proviso Scarborough Council demolish the building and shore up the embankment behind to protect the buildings on the Bank top.... At a cost to the towns council tax payer of over £4M.
Currently there is planning permission for a large amusement ride on the site but its going to take a lifetime to recoup £1.8M plus ongoing costs from one ride.
come back in 3 or 4 years and look at the nice luxury apartment building which will take its place when the initial fuss has died down.

Now tell me backhanders are a myth, Scarborough Council are notorious for it.
Remember the Marine drive sea defence dabicle

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's a shame because Baltic Wharf is so central. There's a water bus service too, and pubs in close proximity. I suspect that the City Council sees the C&MC as too elitist and is not sorry to see them go.

I always thought the redevelopment for a school was a daft idea. There's enough students accidentally drowning in the Avon already. And there's enough modern housing on the harbourside. Nothing is left of the old industries and commercial shipping. I used to live on the hill opposite, and remember the last trawler being built in the shipyard. The sound of rivetting was my early morning alarm. Dredgers used to unload their sand and gravel on what is now a luxury housing development. One of the famous ones was the Harry Brown. I have a VHS Casette somewhere of its final voyage. Nothing is left except modern housing developments that are ghost estates during weekdays, a marina, and various heritage / museum attractions. It seems dead compared with how it was.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The cost of land in cities, towns and even villages is too high for 'new' Aires.
Having spaces on existing carparks, without height barriers should be possible - overnight sleeping allowed, for one night only, paid for, no return for 48 hours.
There would be no problem with 'travelers' if they received the same treatment as the rest of us......VIN checks, insurance, MOT, TAX Driving licences checked and impounding of vehicles......

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We stayed at the campsite a few years back, and on a visit in to Bristol wife notices there's something going on the dockside, we go for a look and its a wine tasting event.

The idea is you go around once and try the wines, I think she went about 3 times and ended up pissed. :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Although not a Bristolian - originally from the Midlands - I've lived on the outskirts of the city for 30+ years. And worked in it for 20.

Just out of idle curiosity, wonder why you dislike the place so much? As far as cities go, I've always been quite fond of it.

Just to add, to keep the thread more or less on topic, I've never stayed at the C&MC site, because I go past it nearly every time I go into town. It's a shame it has to go, but guess it's on borrowed time...

I grew up in the West Country so I know Bristol well enough.

I didn’t like it 20 odd years ago before it was ruined by over development as part of the “M4 corridor.”

Now I can’t think of any reason why I’d ever want to visit the place. It’s got no positive points at all as far as I’m concerned. The sad thing is that my hometown, Exeter, is rapidly going the same way.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I heard that camc have applied for planning permission for land next to the P&R but not yet got it.
Even if they are doing something there, they do not seem to have made the number of pitches available countrywide keep pace with their (claimed) growth in membership.

Applying for planning permission means less than nothing.

Anyone can apply for planning permission for anything, you don’t have to own the land or have even enquiried about it. The land doesn’t even have to be available.

You could apply for planning permission to turn your next door neighbour’s house into a lap dancing bar if you wanted to and the application would have to be considered in the normal manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We were very much involved in the campaign to keep the campsite open and supported a local chap who went to the local MP, council meetings etc etc and really battled to keep it open. There was a lot of campaigning also by Bristol Ferries, SS Great Britain, the Cottage Pub and other businesses near the site who all said they'd lose a significant amount of business if it went ahead.We did Freedom of Information requests and took other actions as well. It became very obvious at that time that it was the Bristol mayor acting independently because even the local councillors hadn't known about it until it was up in front of the council to be ratified. The history of the campaign will be on Motorhome Facts. Unfortunately I'm not a member now so can't access but maybe someone else can.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I grew up in the West Country so I know Bristol well enough.

I didn’t like it 20 odd years ago before it was ruined by over development as part of the “M4 corridor.”

Now I can’t think of any reason why I’d ever want to visit the place. It’s got no positive points at all as far as I’m concerned. The sad thing is that my hometown, Exeter, is rapidly going the same way.
Interesting - 'one man's meat...etc'

From my perspective, there are plenty of historic parts that have been retained; there's always loads going on with a broad spectrum of cultural events; and parts of the waterfront are really attractive. :)

However, I'd be the first to accept that a few of the developments on the waterfront are an eyesore too. :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Completely unrelated but I couldn't agree more.

Scarboroughs Futurist theatre site has been sold to the owner of Flamingo land at Malton for £1.8M on the proviso Scarborough Council demolish the building and shore up the embankment behind to protect the buildings on the Bank top.... At a cost to the towns council tax payer of over £4M.
Currently there is planning permission for a large amusement ride on the site but its going to take a lifetime to recoup £1.8M plus ongoing costs from one ride.
come back in 3 or 4 years and look at the nice luxury apartment building which will take its place when the initial fuss has died down.

Now tell me backhanders are a myth, Scarborough Council are notorious for it.
Remember the Marine drive sea defence dabicle
If there is evidence of malpractice why have no Scarborough council tax payers pursued the matter in court?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The cost of land in cities, towns and even villages is too high for 'new' Aires.
Having spaces on existing carparks, without height barriers should be possible - overnight sleeping allowed, for one night only, paid for, no return for 48 hours.
There would be no problem with 'travelers' if they received the same treatment as the rest of us......VIN checks, insurance, MOT, TAX Driving licences checked and impounding of vehicles......
Can we take it, then, that in light of the proposals for Baltic Wharf you will be writing to Bristol City Council making out the case why they should bring in such camping usage of nearby car parks to compensate?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Have never heard a bad report about that campsite and always wanted to go there but the camper is a bit too big at 9 mtrs. Looks like I won’t even be trying now. (n)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe I dreamt this, but I recall over 4000 CLs at one time. Now less than 3000.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back