LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe I dreamt this, but I recall over 4000 CLs at one time. Now less than 3000.
Could be undercut by chancers allowing camping in their (unlicensed) pub car parks and the like.
I know a motorhomer who spent a lot of money on opening a CL in central Scotland a few years ago.
He expected quite a bit of business from motorhomers travelling north or south and wanting just an overnight stop but it didn't materialise (and it wasn't because of high charges).
Turned out that a pub just a few miles away had joined Britstops and was offering stops in the car park for nothing except bar custom.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe I dreamt this, but I recall over 4000 CLs at one time. Now less than 3000.

I always thought it was around 3,000 . .. according to the club, presently about 2,500

this is probably due to a lot of the basic ones closing who didn't have the cash to install EHU, and with modern vans , in particular caravans having a lot of mains kit they stopped using them.. , so they lost business and decided to call it a day..

there are certainly a lot fewer non EHU CLs than there used to be.. we still find them and are always great value for money , some as little as a fiver.

A CL can never really be a prosperous business .. at best they will be lucky to break even.. more of a hobby than a business.. in saying that, there are some who are charging fees to rival many commercial sites.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always thought it was around 3,000 . .. according to the club, presently about 2,500

this is probably due to a lot of the basic ones closing who didn't have the cash to install EHU, and with modern vans , in particular caravans having a lot of mains kit they stopped using them.. , so they lost business and decided to call it a day..

there are certainly a lot fewer non EHU CLs than there used to be.. we still find them and are always great value for money , some as little as a fiver.
Could well be Jim.
We were on a non electric CL a few years ago and the lady who owns it said the CC kept telling her she should install it.
My reaction was that it would probably take a long time to recoup the cost, if it were possible at all.
I looked the CL up the other day and it is still non-electric (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can we take it, then, that in light of the proposals for Baltic Wharf you will be writing to Bristol City Council making out the case why they should bring in such camping usage of nearby car parks to compensate?

But Graham that would be camping............not allowed

but you can park overnight on Bristol car parks 6pm to 9am for £4.50;):whistle:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Have never heard a bad report about that campsite and always wanted to go there but the camper is a bit too big at 9 mtrs. Looks like I won’t even be trying now. (n)

Mine is 9.5m and I got on easy, the pitches over the riverside are the bigger ones, and a couple could take a 10m without to much trouble.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Completely unrelated but I couldn't agree more.

Scarboroughs Futurist theatre site has been sold to the owner of Flamingo land at Malton for £1.8M on the proviso Scarborough Council demolish the building and shore up the embankment behind to protect the buildings on the Bank top.... At a cost to the towns council tax payer of over £4M.
Currently there is planning permission for a large amusement ride on the site but its going to take a lifetime to recoup £1.8M plus ongoing costs from one ride.
come back in 3 or 4 years and look at the nice luxury apartment building which will take its place when the initial fuss has died down.

Now tell me backhanders are a myth, Scarborough Council are notorious for it.
Remember the Marine drive sea defence dabicle
They don't call them backhanders any more the modern terminology is "incentives".

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi
I thought the site was full of people living there while they worked locally. Moving off for the required time when needed.
Regards
p-c

no not at all, always been lots of tourists when we've stayed there in the past.

I love the place & the site is in a great location.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I too love Bristol. We use Baltic Wharf usually twice a year. Another option we use is the THS at Ashton school for the balloon festival. I also understood the last claim being for a school.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But Graham that would be camping............not allowed

But what you were saying should be possible, Vic, is "overnight sleeping allowed, for one night only, paid for, no return for 48 hours".
As you well know, under the law as it stands that is camping not parking and the legislation in place does enable councils to allow it should they wish to.
So you are obviously, therefore, calling for the council to use the powers available to it- something it is highly unlikely that the council will do without being asked.
So, as you are the one calling for it, you surely aren't going to tell us that you will pass up the chance to write to Bristol City Council making out the case, are you? ;):whistle:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
So, as you are the one calling for it, you surely aren't going to tell us that you will pass up the chance to write to Bristol City Council making out the case, are you? ;):whistle:

Email sent..................

Closure of Baltic Wharf - Motorhome Overnight Parking
Wed, 29 Aug 2018 19:37
To:city.transport Details

Hi I am a member of the Camping and Caravan Club and the foremost online motorhome club Motorhomefun.co.uk. We are aware that the very popular Baltic Wharf site is scheduled to close. There is great demand by motorhomers to access cities such as Bristol but parking for our vehicles is rarely catered for. Parking bays are too small and height restriction barriers make finding a parking space difficult. There are some that would like to stop over, sleeping in their vehicles for just one night after visiting the city. This would not include camping as such, occupants remaining inside their vehicles, nothing placed outside. Payment for this would be expected, in excess of the current overnight charges, providing extra income on car parks little used at night. To ensure motorhomes moved on a stay could be limited to no more than say 20 hours, no return in 48 hours to ensure a turnover in visitors, not just from the UK but Europe where these sort of facilities are widespread. Just a few carparks would be needed. Would the city council consider this type of facility, even on a trial basis? Thank you for reading...hoping for a response Sincerely Vic Stewart

:)
not expecting too much but we'll see

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Email sent..................

Closure of Baltic Wharf - Motorhome Overnight Parking
Wed, 29 Aug 2018 19:37
To:city.transport Details

Hi I am a member of the Camping and Caravan Club and the foremost online motorhome club Motorhomefun.co.uk. We are aware that the very popular Baltic Wharf site is scheduled to close. There is great demand by motorhomers to access cities such as Bristol but parking for our vehicles is rarely catered for. Parking bays are too small and height restriction barriers make finding a parking space difficult. There are some that would like to stop over, sleeping in their vehicles for just one night after visiting the city. This would not include camping as such, occupants remaining inside their vehicles, nothing placed outside. Payment for this would be expected, in excess of the current overnight charges, providing extra income on car parks little used at night. To ensure motorhomes moved on a stay could be limited to no more than say 20 hours, no return in 48 hours to ensure a turnover in visitors, not just from the UK but Europe where these sort of facilities are widespread. Just a few carparks would be needed. Would the city council consider this type of facility, even on a trial basis? Thank you for reading...hoping for a response Sincerely Vic Stewart

:)
not expecting too much but we'll see
Well done to you for rising to the challenge.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
you can park next to her maj for 2 pounds.(y)

to tell us that you will pass up the chance to write to Bristol City Council making out the case, are you? ;):whistle:
The vehicle hating council of the last 30+ years. I'd be surprised
The sad thing is that my hometown, Exeter, is rapidly going the same way.
Unfortunately it has nearly gone:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back