Another One Bites the Dust (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been out with my dog and this sign has gone up since last week. Its at a very popular, and quiet, overnighting spot a few miles from us. This summer there has been a lot of bags of rubbish left and I could detect at least one cassette dump. Its private land with public access and the owner was quite happy, until now that is. Why should he clear up someone else's mess, and there is a campsite less than two miles away.
The Scar.jpg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I don't blame him for closing access - it would be a shame for the responsible thousands of us that a very few insist that such behaviour is ok.

It's disgusting in my view - dumping a cassette like that :(

Jebs

Free Member
Oct 22, 2012
BRADFORD
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I saw a sign above the sinks in a public toilet that said " Please do not empty the contents of toilet in the sinks " Eurgh!! Can't begin to think what sort of person would do that . When we are touring Scotland and have stopped for a coffee/ break we have collected bin bags dumped in the area and deposited in the right place . We also had a word with someone emptying his cassette into a Highland Burn but got dogs abuse for it . It's these sorts of people who spoil it for the rest of us . It won't be long before wild camping is banned everywhere .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Another sign has been put up local to us. Some of you may have used Balyett lay-by, just outside of Stranraer at the head of Loch Ryan, the council have very recently erected a 'No Overnight Camping' sign at this lay-by. Just a bit further along the road, at the entrance to Ryan Bay campsite there is a parking are still with no sign.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We should all start taking registration numbers and reporting transgressors, don’t speak to them just take their reg, time and date and quietly take a photo with your phone, then report to Police, local Authority and or landowner, until we start being proactive in helping to stamp it out we will suffer by more and more sites being closed.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Been out with my dog and this sign has gone up since last week. Its at a very popular, and quiet, overnighting spot a few miles from us. This summer there has been a lot of bags of rubbish left and I could detect at least one cassette dump. Its private land with public access and the owner was quite happy, until now that is. Why should he clear up someone else's mess, and there is a campsite less than two miles away.
View attachment 332550

It may act as a deterrent, but if anybody ignores it then being private land the owner could only take the offender to a Civil Court for Trespass.

At least until/unless trespass is made a criminal offence, as is being proposed.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
It may act as a deterrent, but if anybody ignores it then being private land the owner could only take the offender to a Civil Court for Trespass.

At least until/unless trespass is made a criminal offence, as is being proposed.
In this instance a silage trailer parked in the road after the van has gone down it is sufficient to remind the transgressor not to do it again.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I'm afraid that's happened on most of the Galloway Peninsular over the past couple of weeks.
Signs gone up at.................
Laybye between P&O and Stenna terminals at Cairnryan. (council)
Lady Bay (Estate land)
Corswall Point lighthouse (estate lands)
Port Logan (Council)
New England Bay (Council)
Every Layby on the A716 between Sandhead and Drummore (mixture of council & estate lands)

Diabolical ! I may be a CAMC Warden but I have no problem at all with responsible wildcampers and indeed do so myself on time off. I've used ALL these spots over the past couple of years and can honestly say that I've NEVER seen any rubbish in ANY of them that could be attributed to wildcampers. It's usually plastic food trays that the chavs and neds have bunged out of the window!

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I saw a sign above the sinks in a public toilet that said " Please do not empty the contents of toilet in the sinks " Eurgh!! Can't begin to think what sort of person would do that . When we are touring Scotland and have stopped for a coffee/ break we have collected bin bags dumped in the area and deposited in the right place . We also had a word with someone emptying his cassette into a Highland Burn but got dogs abuse for it . It's these sorts of people who spoil it for the rest of us . It won't be long before wild camping is banned everywhere .
It might be civil servants doing this. One civil service building in London had a sign at knee high by the urinals ‘not drinking water’

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I'm afraid that's happened on most of the Galloway Peninsular over the past couple of weeks.
Signs gone up at.................
Laybye between P&O and Stenna terminals at Cairnryan. (council)
Lady Bay (Estate land)
Corswall Point lighthouse (estate lands)
Port Logan (Council)
New England Bay (Council)
Every Layby on the A716 between Sandhead and Drummore (mixture of council & estate lands)

Diabolical ! I may be a CAMC Warden but I have no problem at all with responsible wildcampers and indeed do so myself on time off. I've used ALL these spots over the past couple of years and can honestly say that I've NEVER seen any rubbish in ANY of them that could be attributed to wildcampers. It's usually plastic food trays that the chavs and neds have bunged out of the window!
These are ‘advisory’ signs placed by council in the same vein as the recent thread re parking at Sweetheart Abbey. It is a hastily decided council policy as part of their ‘catering for visitors’ programme. I’m not sure the ones placed in lay-bys are even legal? They are going to be replaced by ‘upgraded signs’ soon but not sure what that will actually entail. D and G council not interested in trying to look at Aires as they have stated there is sufficient private campsites to provide for campers.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
D&G Council are correct in that respect, we have a lot of sites, some them never reaching capacity, even last year.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
D&G Council are correct in that respect, we have a lot of sites, some them never reaching capacity, even last year.
Tell them to drop their prices then, we used Barnsoul farm for many years until it was sold on, now the new owners won’t even put prices on their website as they are too expensive.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Tell them to drop their prices then, we used Barnsoul farm for many years until it was sold on, now the new owners won’t even put prices on their website as they are too expensive.
You're right, one local site has doubled it's fees for tent campers this year, and motorhome fees are up over 50%.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

If in Scotland it would be Criminal Damage rather than trespass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back