Free Member
Jan 3, 2014
Ossett
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Hi,

I am considering abandoning my tent and getting my first camper van. I was thinking of a 2 berth vehicle with a footprint no bigger than an estate car so that it will fit in the parking space I have available. My immediate thoughts were reasonably tidy VW T25 until I saw how much they cost :Eeek: - my budget is about £5,000.

I'm now thinking that it would be more cost effective to buy a panel van and do a DIY conversion.

Any suggestions as to alternative ready built campers or base vehicles?

Eric

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Hi & welcome to this crazy site.

Mine is a self build on a Renault Master. Caravan interior grafted into stripped out 17 seater. Works well for us.
A growing trend is to convert smaller panel vans such as Connects or Partners etc., although they can be quite space restrictive.
As much interior space as possible is always a bonus.
Whatever you choose, consider well, but don`t waste too much time thinking. The only way to really find out what suits you is to try. You can always modify or change vehicles as experience dictates.
Whatever you decide I am sure that you will find plenty of help and advice (good or not so good) on these forums!
Enjoy your vehicle.
:welcomefunster:

David

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi and welcome.

theres loads on ebay just watch out for the scams.

only ones id personally avoid really would be later ldv's as parts are harder to get than rocking horse poo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

Our first van was a ford transit based converted ambulance. The advantage of the ambulance is that it will already be insulated and have some sort of haditation heating, mostly likely some 12v sockets and lights too.

We sourced all the fittings of ebay or pre-loved. We went for proper campervan bits, rather that butcher an old caravan. But if you can find a caravan with a good interior there's nothing wrong with using that as a donor. We roughly spent about £3,500 on the whole project, give or take a bit!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My suggestion would be to buy a used camper. Unless you can source the internal fittings such as cooker, fridge, sink and of course some sort of lifting roof second hand then the amount you have left out of your budget to spend on you base vehicle might be less than £3k, which isn't going to get you much. So rather than buy new parts to fit on an old vehicle buy it all as one second hand package.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hi and welcome to the fun house.if you have a prop.theres allways some one out there that can help.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back