Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi all,
we have never owned a motorhome before but are undecided as to whether we want a motorhome or (dare I say it) caravan which we have owned. Not ready to buy just yet but have been looking round and decided that whatever we get it must have an island bed. We think we prefer the end washroom but could be swayed otherwise. Not worried about size of vehicle as I have a LGV licence (but price could be an important factor lol).
Our intention is to tour Europe as much as possible taking a car along with us but have heard of problems regarding towing behind motorhome with A frame.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome!

I'll kick off. :) It depends what you mean by "tour". If you want to move every few days and want to keep costs down then a MH would be best as you can use aires. However, if that is what you are going to do why do you need to lug a car around for, other than any issues on mobility of course?

In brief an A frame is OK except in Spain, so if you want to go there you will be running a risk. Not sure about Portugal but you have to drive through Spain to get there so it doesn't matter!

If you plan to move slowly and stay at sites for long periods then a caravan might be best.

So in deciding what is best you need to work out what you plan to do and why you are travelling. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kip
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi DBK thanks for your response and thanks to all that have welcomed me to the site :).
I probably should have mentioned that my name is Bob and my better (?) half is Lyn, we also have 2 young Springer Spaniels, Rosie and Jim (we did intend on a narrowboat lol).

I think what we would like is to stay in places for maybe 3 or 4 days +, and the reason for having a car is that we would like to go and explore small villages, mountain roads and the like, which would be difficult in the motorhome (??). We have no mobility issues apart from my significant other having 2 replacement knees and possibly going for a new hip shortly :(. She still gets about but cannot walk more than a few miles bless her.

We would obviously like to keep costs down and staying in aires is very appealing, I assume you cannot do this with a caravan?
We would like to go to Spain etc., is there any way around the A frame problem, perhaps putting the car on a trailer??
Does anyone have experience of this?.........so many silly questions!!!

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:HelloThere:& welcome to the wonderful world of fun.!!As the saying goes we play it by ear. If we come across somewhere we want to explore /stay for a little longer we tend to hire a car,especially if we're in Spain /portugal as you can get some really good deals.Saves the hassle of towing.That's why we got a motorhome. Whatever you decide we wish you many happy travels.☺☺.

OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Thanks for that Kip, that's a good idea, worth thinking about.

I'd almost made a decision on a caravan but now I'm totally confused lol. Lots of head scratching going on here!

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You'll get there lol(n).One thing to keep in mind is that aires are cheap & sometimes free where as campsites are neither,so the money you save on aires could be put towards a cheap hire car.Whatever your decision don't forget to join A.C.S.I.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
My next question is.......whats A.C.S.I??
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ACSI is a network of campsites. You purchase that years membership and are supplied with a book listing their locations. Out of season they are cheaper than many sites.

As long as you don't go for anything too big a motorhome is fine for travelling to local villages etc. It means you don't need a car. Many people take bikes on the back but we find we can manage by driving/walking wherever we want (Jean has a knee replacement too)

Wyn

Wyn

OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi Wyn,
thanks for the welcome and the info on ACSI. I did google it and it looks quite good, will definately consider it when we're up and running.
Bob

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hi all,
we have never owned a motorhome before but are undecided as to whether we want a motorhome or (dare I say it) caravan which we have owned. Not ready to buy just yet but have been looking round and decided that whatever we get it must have an island bed. We think we prefer the end washroom but could be swayed otherwise. Not worried about size of vehicle as I have a LGV licence (but price could be an important factor lol).
Our intention is to tour Europe as much as possible taking a car along with us but have heard of problems regarding towing behind motorhome with A frame.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I ought to call myself Springer3 as that is how many of the fantastic four legged friends I am lucky to share my life with.

I had always been into caravans and even built 2 exclusive dog friendly sites when living in France, how about fully fenced dog pitches so the faithful friends can have a holiday as well?

Any way, I hated motorhomes and would never ever have thought I would end up building one myself. Yes I built one as none of the professional conversions offered me enough space for my 3 fury friends. For me it had to be a van which was small enough to drive around and yet large enough to comfortably live in with full on-board facilities.

If you fancy a chat, then why not come and join some like minded self builders over on www.diymotorhome.co.uk it is free and is owned by Jim who also owns this site.

All the best

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back