Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato / Bessacarr
Exp
Something of a newbie
Hi. I'm fairly new to motorhoming having started 3 years ago with (don't laugh) a Mazda Bongo. I bought it with sink and cooker installed, but after one outing decided to totally refit with 3ft rock-and-roll bed and some storage space as well as the sink/cooker unit. Once finished I was quite proud of it and went out a fair bit for weekends. However, I soon realised the limitations of a converted people-carrier when I travelled to Yorkshire with my son for a week's birding and photography. While the smaller size is useful on narrow country lanes, it was soon apparent that there was not enough space, and we had to keep moving everything every time we parked up. On our return I sold the Mazda and bought a used Ace Modena on Fiat chassis. With a fixed double bed, and me being past retirement age, this suited me perfectly. It meant that I could drive till I was tired, then park up, walk to the back and crash out!! Once again, my son and I went north to Yorkshire this June and I also towed my little Fiat 500 on a trailer so that we could get around easier. All was great........ until the return!!
After dropping my son off in North wales I was travelling back along the M5 when disaster struck near Tewkesbury. An explosion, steering wandering a bit, and no brakes!! Luckily I wasn't going too fast as I was towing and was in the nearside lane. Once on the hard shoulder I checked the problem. Easily found ---- no nearside rear wheel!! That had disappeared down the embankment somewhere.
The downside of this was not getting home until 2:30 the next morning. The upside was that the insurance paid out without any fuss ... almost what I had paid for it one year previously. It seems that the bearing had seized and overheated causing the stub axle to shear off. Repair would have been horrendously expensive ( I was quoted at least £10k just for parts - if they were available), so I looked around and bought a Bessacarr version with the same layout - 2 years younger and a little cheaper.

Well, that's my experience thus far. I love getting out in Bessie and would love to visit the continent, especially Italy, but I've never driven on the wrong side of the road (not intentionally, anyway). Any advice on continental visits, pitfalls, best places to visit etc would be most welcome.
I'm also thinking of attending some of the Funster rallies next year, so hopefully will meet some of the names I've seen of the Funster pages.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Tezzabee, welcome to the fun (y) If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out the FAQ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3: Sounds like you've had a fair bit of unplanned excitement in your motorhome life so far, but glad to hear you're all sorted! (y)

Reckon you'd love going to the continent. France woould make a good start - VERY motorhome-friendly, and much easier than travelling around the UK.

It will probably take no more than 10 or 15 minutes, maybe 20 to get some initial confidence driving on the other side of the road.

My advice would be to stay out of big towns and cities until you've got the feel of things, and then you'll be fine.

Could write a book about taking the van abroad, but I'll leave it there for now. Others will be along shortly with lots of other ideas and suggestions. Loads of help and advice on any motorhoming subject on here, by the way.

Happy travels! :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Jeeze, that rear wheel failure must have been horrific. So glad the insurance came good for you and hopefully you won't have any further problems of that sort.
Are you able to name and praise ins co ?
We all travel around hoping we are covered in all eventualities but you never know for sure until the time comes to put a claim in.
Welcome to the forum

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome
:welco:

(Why do I suddenly have the tune Three Wheels on my wagon in my head?)

OP
OP
T

tezzabee

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato / Bessacarr
Exp
Something of a newbie
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
Yes, Figaro, I can say that I was insured through Lifesure. They are one of the very few who will insure the Mazda Bongos as they are grey imports.
When I bought the moho I just transferred the insurance using the same company.
They sent out an assessor within a couple of days and he made an offer the same day.
Can't say enough good things about them, except that they then wouldn't insure the new one because of the claim!!

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
w2f Glad you survived your ordeal , how awful ..

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:WelcomeFlag:Hello and welcome what a horrible experience thank goodness you are safe and have a new MH to carry on your travels . There are some rally's still on this year if you look under the Rally section . Hope to meet up in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back