Another motorhome driver trying to increase motorhome popularity (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I parked in a aldi near Blackpool , in the empty corner furthest away from the store , no cars anywhere near me , I parked sideways over 3 spaces with rear overhanging the grass ,(8.6m tag) came out the shop to find a car parked across my nose blocking me in

Damed if you do , Damed if you don’t

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I wonder if the inadequate sized parking spaces in car parks could be deemed “not fit for purpose”.

If your vehicle is damaged as a result of the narrow spaces you could claim damages.

I can’t see it happening but it would be good if motorists, as a group, could bring pressure to bear to increase minimum parking space size in accordance with the increasing width of cars.

Until something is done to pass damage costs onto the shops/councils that provide such spaces they will continue to “cram ‘em in”.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I wonder if the inadequate sized parking spaces in car parks could be deemed “not fit for purpose”.
If your vehicle is damaged as a result of the narrow spaces you could claim damages.
I can’t see it happening but it would be good if motorists, as a group, could bring pressure to bear to increase minimum parking space size in accordance with the increasing width of cars.
Until something is done to pass damage costs onto the shops/councils that provide such spaces they will continue to “cram ‘em in”.

Unfortunately they'll all have disclaimer notices "Park at your own risk" etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

... in the real world ... YOU have a choice where you park your vehicle ... if you're not happy don't park it. We sometimes have this very issue and will walk an extra minute or two so that we can safely park our car or camper somewhere rather than risk it being bashed due to small spaces etc.

Reactions: GJH
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
... in the real world ... YOU have a choice where you park your vehicle ... if you're not happy don't park it. We sometimes have this very issue and will walk an extra minute or two so that we can safely park our car or camper somewhere rather than risk it being bashed due to small spaces etc.
So do we, but we shouldn’t have to when parking a car in a “car” space.

When in the m/h we do exactly as you suggest, but that wasn’t my point. I referred to “motorists” not motorhomers but, in general, I agree with your point.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
but, they sound like a car with a plug lead or two removed............:whistle:
SHHHHHHH I know, it's not a proper biker way to sit either, it must feel like your pushing a pram with your:moon2:on the floor...…...oh god did I just type that out loud, I think I did.....:Eeek:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Compare the first and third sentences. What is “not fit for purpose”?
The spaces in most car parks were there before wider cars.
Are shops/councils supposed to increase their prices/council tax every few years to compensate for the fact that they have to re-mark their car parks because customers/residents have chosen to buy wider cars? Would those same customers/residents be happy to pay those costs?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Are shops/councils supposed to increase their prices/council tax every few years to compensate for the fact that they have to re-mark their car parks because customers/residents have chosen to buy wider cars? Would those same customers/residents be happy to pay those costs?
What a load of tosh

The shops are happy to refitt interiors every few years , some actually change interiors every 6 months in run up to Christmas.

Kept me in a job the last 12 years.

Marking out a few carpark bays is miniscule in costs in comparison.

In fact several around where I live made the spaces smaller when they resurfaced car parks etc so they could cram in more cars.

And councils have the same approach, smaller space fits more cars and a convenient sign saying "park at own risk" or " we accept no liability for damage incurred in this carpark" saves them any hassle.

I'm not even in that large a town but most of the car parks in my town have been resurfaced within the last 5 to 10 years and cars haven't got any bigger in that time.

There may well be more smaller cars on the road.

Reactions: GPW
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Do customers have much choice regarding buying wider cars?

All models grow with each new generation. It’s called progress.:rolleyes:

You just have to visit any Supermarket and see the contortions of people trying to get out of cars without hitting the one in the next space with their door . (Other than those who don’t care, of course).

I think I would rather pay the additional cost than have my vehicle damaged, again, by careless people. It’s a Citroen C3 by the way, so by no means big.

If you have a mini and park up properly you can return and find two Chelsea tractors either side of you. The available space has been used up.

The spaces are simply not big enough, the standard has been overtaken by car design, or must everyone drive Fiat 500s?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've only got a Yaris which I parked properly in the centre of the space and came back to find a car each side of me which had parked over the lines. I had to get in the passenger door and climb across into the driver's seat as the one that side was too close for me to open my door! I'm just glad I'm quite small, lol!

Denise

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Different from round here then.
In fact I can think of one or two concrete multi-storey car parks that have never needed resurfacing.
& what has that to do with supermarkets ?
I know of one multi storey in Tiverton Devon with a roof so low that you could count on one hand the amount using it daily . Now part ofit is being turned into a premier inn ,I believe. After nearly 30 years.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes. My current Fabia Estate is about the same dimensions as the Cavalier MkII and MkIII I had well over 20 years ago.
Cars I have had in the meantime have been the same size or smaller.
A Skoda fabia is a lot smaller than a mk2 or 3 cavalier

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Since we spend a lot of our time driving and parking, often in some strange places, or difficult places, it's no wonder that the subject of parking in public places becomes an issue. How often the supermarket does not allow for the larger vehicle, so taking up more than one space is perfectly ok. You are about to spend money anyway. Services, on motorways, however, are another matter, as they don't even acknowledge motorhomes. I have my favourites, that do allow space to park, but I have had to follow the signs, not for motorhomes,, but Caravans, Coaches and HGV's and assumed I look like one of the above.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Since we spend a lot of our time driving and parking, often in some strange places, or difficult places, it's no wonder that the subject of parking in public places becomes an issue. How often the supermarket does not allow for the larger vehicle, so taking up more than one space is perfectly ok. You are about to spend money anyway. Services, on motorways, however, are another matter, as they don't even acknowledge motorhomes. I have my favourites, that do allow space to park, but I have had to follow the signs, not for motorhomes,, but Caravans, Coaches and HGV's and assumed I look like one of the above.
Motorhomes tend to be classed with caravans at MSAs, see http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/mways.htm
See also http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/stores.htm

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Even the Caravan Club had to add "And Motorhome". Change the Classification, because I am not towing. Thank you for the link.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back