Another loss to Motorhomers...

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Coach Build
Exp
Such a shame Old Mo, that's even more erosion of the places to park in a motorhome :(

jonandshell

Free Member
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The bloody idiots have missed a trick there, have they not visited Calais?
They could have got £10 per night per unit.
I suspect the report was swayed by local campsite or hotel owners who tend to frequent local government. I expect a few NIMBYs were worried about their view too.
Of course, if an aire was set up, that wouldn't be an issue.

Their loss, as always.

Allanm

Funster
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I love this bit....
Concerns have been raised by residents and businesses over the parking of motor caravans at two locations within the district and the adverse impact they have on those communities.
I thought motorhomes improved the area...

OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry Graham.... didn`t see that one... :doh:

Reactions: GJH

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am quite possibly going to get some stick over this, but to be honest I dont blame them. Marine Parade is a nice area with views of the sea. If you lived there would you want a load of motorhomes parked outside your front door. I never considered it as an option for overnighting.

OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Your not a "Freeloading Tosspot"... then Dave... :wink::rofl::rofl:

scotjimland

Free Member
MH
Exp
Am quite possibly going to get some stick over this, but to be honest I dont blame them. Marine Parade is a nice area with views of the sea. If you lived there would you want a load of motorhomes parked outside your front door. I never considered it as an option for overnighting.
not from me.. I agree and have never used it..

when we traveled from Scotland I booked a site for the night.

OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Old-mo and many more motorhomers do for starters.
Never thought about over nighting there..

Sooner pay a few quid and get a good night`s kip in a peaceful campsite..

Must admit,,,, if I had bought a house years ago for the views, I may be a bit peeved it I lost them...

OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Well I am actually, am parked on a aire in France right now, but not outside anyone front window.
Got to give it to the French.... they are more lenient and switched on for M.Homers...

Pity Britain couldn`t take a leaf out of their books..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
MH
C class, Autotrail Chief
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having read the whole thing I have an answer..
Park up and put a massive tarpaulin tight over the van.
It states quite clearly that tents do not fall within the proposed banned catagory...

3. "Caravan" has the same meaning as in Section 29(1) of the Caravan Sites and Control
of Development Act 1960, namely "any structure designed or adapted for human
habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether being
towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so
designed or adapted, but does not include (a) any railway rolling stock which is for the
time on rails forming part of a railway system, or (b) a tent."

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1990
I have stayed there but usually we arrive late and have gone very early. These days I tend to arrive late, get the ferry and stay on a aire in France - is easier and then you're already in France ready to go gently on in the morning.

Stayed on a little CL type site recently which was lovely.
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/kent/canterbury/highsteadfarm
Near Hearn Bay so a little off the direct route to Dover but a lovely spot to arrive a day or so early and walk to beaches in that area.

((Although I would never condone such a thing, the fish and chips are lovely along the front in Hearn Bay :) ))

Sheddy

Funster
MH
A Class
Exp
15 Years
It takes us 5 or more hours to get down to Dover so we generally get an evening ferry to Dunkirk, eat on the boat and go straight on to the Port car park for the night. Up and away the next morning via the nearby Auchan to fill up (or half tank if we are going via Luxembourg). (y)

Allanm

Funster
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We go to Dover quite often as we live near by, and have only ever seen a few vans parked there in the day. I wouldn't think many people would visit Dover just for the day unless they are going to the castle, and there is parking for medium sized motorhomes there!
However, the roads mentioned consist mainly of businesses, which are closed overnight, and if overnight parking is the main issue, how do they obstruct the view of the ferries, I mean sea, at night?
Sounds like another knee-jerk reaction, but there is hope in the Councils proposal sections 2 (iv) and 13, and I have the solution for them.
There is a large car park nearby at De Bradley Wharf that could be used for overnighting camper vans. Just charge £5 per night and provide a service point.
I have heard that the retail units are closing down soon, so the car park will be available all day.
Better still, use the aire at Canterbury for £3, which includes a free bus ride into Canterbury, a much nicer place than Dover and with some great restaurants.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Burstner t625 Harmony
Exp
Since 2006
There is a large car park nearby at De Bradley Wharf that could be used for overnighting camper vans. Just charge £5 per night and provide a service point.
Interesting, Allan.
I contacted De Bradlei to ask about parking for motorhomes at all three of their sites and they didn't even bother to reply.
Is the car park owned by Dover Council? If not it would need a caravan site licence to be used as a stopover.
I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about Canterbury :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know about "a few vans", but if posts re, where to park in Dover on fun are anything to go by am amazed the whole place is not gridlocked with motorhomes :D

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services