Another leisure battery question (1 Viewer)

Rangersmith

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 744
Exp
Since 2015
So MH is in storage and connected up, went up to check it this morning and the control panel showed that there was a draw coming off the battery and it was low. So went outside and unplugged and plugged back in and then the panel showed current going in and it as full. This is the second time this has happened in the last month. Any ideas.

Andrew

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Whenever we plugged in to the mains the leisure battery charged up, then when the battery hit full charge the charger stopped charging, but didn't kick back in again when the voltage started to drop. The only way around it was to unplug from the mains, and then reconnect, and then the leisure battery charged up again. In our case a new charger solved the problem instantly.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When you put a load on a battery it is difficult to get a true reading of its capacity and this could explain why your battery was reading low when in fact it was not. The draw could be coming from one or a number of services that are either permanently on, e.g. alarm system etc, etc, or a service that has been accidently switched on. It is also possible that the charger had switched charging from the full leisure battery to the cab battery and this would explain why no charge was going into the leisure battery and this was re set upon connection and would have repeated this switch over again and then switched back later to maintain all batteries. You have provided no information about your motorhome or set up, so naturally I'm guessing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rangersmith

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 744
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that, I have had a new charger fitted a few months ago and it is not connected to the cab battery so it only charges the leisure battery. So I though when it was plugged in and say lights were switched on the leisure battery would always show charge going in as power was coming via the mains ?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I assume the charger automatically starts charging the leisure batteries when you plug into EHU. ? I am at a loss as to why it was disconnected when you visited the van as even with battery full it should be supplying a float charge. Why has a new charger been fitted and by whom ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rangersmith

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 744
Exp
Since 2015
Yes it does start automatically, it was fitted by carafit cross hands south wales, I have had some electrical problems this year and last one was the red light on the main box on/off switch was not lighting up and they said it need a new charger. Sorry if I am not making much sense I am useless when it comes to electrics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back