Another leaky tap & disappearing pipes (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Last year we had leaky tap into bathroom basin, replaced the 'o' rings all well again. Last week we were out and kitchen tap leaked....yes 'o' rings again. I'm assuming they get hard after time as our van is 8 years old.

Whilst dismantling the unit under the kitchen sink to see where everything went, I noticed all the pipes including the heater pipes disappeared into the floor. Are all vans like this ? what do you do if you get a leak inside the floor area ?

There are no pipes under the van except drainage pipes that hang down from sink, heater and clean water tank areas.

I checked under the van for any rot or damage and everything looks as good as new, even the original paint is still on the woodwork, I'm impressed with the quality of construction after reading on here the woes of other van makes.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If they do go through the floor sandwich there will be no joints down there so the only reason to leak would be if they froze then split - not a likely occurrence with nylon / plastic pipes.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Depends upon your make and type of motorhome. Winterised ones usually have a double floor through which all the pipes cables and heating runs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Last year we had leaky tap into bathroom basin, replaced the 'o' rings all well again. Last week we were out and kitchen tap leaked....yes 'o' rings again. I'm assuming they get hard after time as our van is 8 years old.

Whilst dismantling the unit under the kitchen sink to see where everything went, I noticed all the pipes including the heater pipes disappeared into the floor. Are all vans like this ? what do you do if you get a leak inside the floor area ?

There are no pipes under the van except drainage pipes that hang down from sink, heater and clean water tank areas.

I checked under the van for any rot or damage and everything looks as good as new, even the original paint is still on the woodwork, I'm impressed with the quality of construction after reading on here the woes of other van makes.

Mine are in the sandwich, which is polystyrene in the middle
Mice got at the waste pipes.............which are also in the sandwich..........nightmare:eek:
Had to pull liners into the waste pipes, as it was impossible to pull the original damaged pipes out

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
apart from mechanical damage and rodents the pipework is nigh bullet proof even freezing tends to split the taps or connectors as the plastic pipe is enclosed in foam which stops it swelleing and even where it can swell its elastic enough to stretch its the had plasic parts that split

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mines a 2009 Hymer 552CL Tramp. They use polystyrene in the floor sandwich ? all the cables run down there as well.

On a Hymer it is very unlikely the pipes will run in the floor sandwich, you will probably find the pipes & cables run in a false floor void.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On a Hymer it is very unlikely the pipes will run in the floor sandwich, you will probably find the pipes & cables run in a false floor void.
AFAIK most modern Hymers (and most other modern European vans) have a double floor, that is two insulated sandwich construction floors with a gap of between about 125mm and 300mm between them. This acts as extra insulation (like a cavity wall) and allows all of the services, such as pipes cables and heating, to run in it. The wider gap is reserved for the top of the range models and allows it to be used as additional storage.

Pipes do not usually run through fully bonded insulated sandwich panels used for floors, walls or ceilings for several reasons. They would provide a weak point to the structural integrity of the panel and they would also leave the pipe susceptible to freezing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
AFAIK most modern Hymers (and most other modern European vans) have a double floor, that is two insulated sandwich construction floors with a gap of between about 125mm and 300mm between them. This acts as extra insulation (like a cavity wall) and allows all of the services, such as pipes cables and heating, to run in it. The wider gap is reserved for the top of the range models and allows it to be used as additional storage.
Busybuilder has a Tramp CL, single floor with a raised false floor in the lounge area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back