Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My lad has found another Hymer B544 he's considering.
Year 2000 only done 25000 miles its spotless not a scratch on it inside or out, 2.8 turbo, satellite tv system, twin solar panels and 2 x 80 amp leisure batteries. Full service history which also confirms the mileage. Been all over it with the damp meter not a sign on any.
Price is about right especially considering the condition and mileage.
It'll come with a new habitation service, gas appliance service and certificate.

Question is there anything particular that goes wrong with this model we should be looking for before he takes the plunge.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Brilliant van Rory, my B544 is 15 years old now, does 15000 miles a year (y)

Yeah I know, I was gonna ring you for advice but didn't get around to it, this ones a beauty.
Anything I should look for.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Anything I should look for.?

Nothing I've experienced points to anything specific to look for. In the 3 years we've had it we've had all the bearings replaced, but that's not a failing. Underneath is remarkably clean and solid. I know Carol and Eddie had a rusty bit of subframe bottom front under the radiator but mines solid. (y)

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks
Mechanical stuff no problem he's a mechanic works on heavy plant, hgvs, 4x4s etc (y)
He hasn't bought it yet and already planning a trip to France. :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yes I forgot about that 5th gear issue, probably because the fix was only £30 :)

:Eeek: Really was that all? good to know(y)

Rory I have a 2002 B584 same van different layout, absolutely love it. your sons van sounds good with plenty of extras, I'd say go for it he won't regret it(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just check that the two transverse seals across the roof that join the flat bit to the front cab and rear top mouldings are not lifting. This can happen at around ten years and if so, they have to be replaced / resealed. I believe Jock had it done by Mark of CLS if I recall correctly. Also can be fixed by Peter Hambilton. Not a particularly cheap job to do properly I understand.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As Jim said we have had ours for 10 years with very little trouble we replaced the cross member holding the radiater up, which was not part of the chassis which is solid, Ed changed the cross member himself no problem.
Brilliant van we love ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back