another hello from Scotland (1 Viewer)

Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
Hello all, after years of camping out of a backpack, then out of the car boot, I am finally of an age where the convenience and comfort of a motorhome has crept up on me! I've looked at many motorhomes over the last few months and the variety is astounding. help needed. I plan to use the home for walking and touring trips round Scotland year round, rarely using sites.Budget is £20k, prefered layout is rear lounge/overcab sleeping but small details such as some garage storage, decent insulation have led me to look at other layouts too. any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated,
cheers, Mike

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

There is a place not far from you

Broken Link Removed

They sometimes have some decent stuff in, they sell on behalf of the people who store on the site.

Another place is Mill Garages at Duns

Broken Link Removed

I know very little about the first place but he second is our local dealer / converter. We didn't buy from them but we do have work done by them and they are really good.

There are then the bigger dealers but they tend to have more expensive stock.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Smiley%20Hello.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
:welc::welc:
You should manage a reasonable motorhome on that budget but remember to look at as many mhs as possible as the most important criteria is layout.

Knowepark is not far from you at Livingstone
http://www.kpcm.co.uk/cgi-bin/sales.pl?v_make=0&v_form=M&v_new=N&action=Find&show_head=N

And a trip up the road to Perth and you will find

http://www.perthshiremotorhomes.com/motorhomes/used

as well as Perthshire Caravans

http://www.perthshire-caravans.com/stock-list/motorhomes

These are al dealers and obviously they are going to be more expensive than buying privately but they allow you to look at a lot of mhs in one place and will give you an idea of price.

Jim also has a good guide to buying a motorhome available through the Funsters site but I can't find the link, but somone will come along and direct you.an

I am not far from you and if I can be of any help send me PM

Norman

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
:welc: Not far from you. The storage facility Puddleduck mentioned is where we store ours, he does sell for users but obviously takes a cut.
We bought from St Andrews Motorhomes a small friendly business but in hindsight probably paid a bit to much.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hi, have fun finding what suits you, To utilise the overcab requires just a fair bit of "nimbleness", mine is prebooked golf clubs, satelite dish, fishing gear !! Oh yes, the bedding rolls go in there too. x:-)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Big Bertha we also bought our last one from StAndrews Motorhomes and like you possibly paid slightly more than should have but they always have good quality MH's and we got a very good tradin for old one so was happy at the time of the deal
Mikeg40 another one that gets good reports is Dicksons of Perth so well worth a day out to Perthshire

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi and welcome. Can't give any advice but Welcome anyway :xsmile:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
camocam1: 1231097 said:
Big Bertha we also bought our last one from StAndrews Motorhomes and like you possibly paid slightly more than should have but they always have good quality MH's and we got a very good tradin for old one so was happy at the time of the deal
Mikeg40 another one that gets good reports is Dicksons of Perth so well worth a day out to Perthshire
We got a good trade in on our caravan in fact they eventually sold our van at 2000 less than they gave us. I would use again if they had the van I wanted.:xThumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We paid the same for our van as the previous owner got for trade in.

We could have bought cheaper privately but we were happy with the deal which is all that matters.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF :xThumb:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
M
Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
thanks to all, any info always appreciated. have visited most of the dealers mentioned so far. any suggestions at models to look out for - rear lounge, cab over bed with decent storage/shower, small garage or do I look for too much!!

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I have said on other posts that a good place to look for layouts etc is Broken Link Removed
And go to themotorhome section You can input by layout / berths etc

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I like ours, huge overcab, double diner and rear lounge, two lockers each side under lounge area. It's a Autoroller 600. Seperate shower not a wet room. It depends on what size you're willing to drive, ours is approx. 7.2 mtrs. For 20,000 you could get a 2007 or 8.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sure you have considered the fuel consumption implication of an over cab bed.
As a satisfied customer of Knowepark Caravans over a number of years I can only speak from experience when I say I couldn't have been happier with the sales and service.
Good luck with your search.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welc: Hello welcome to Fun

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi from Scotland I just purchased my motorhome from Just Go they are based 15mins from Luton airport they are exhire and about 18 months Old it was worth the flight down you get lots of extras it was that good a deal that 3 of my friends have now purchased. You have to be quick as they sell out fast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back