Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
just another gassing thread to put fear in to the unknowing.
gas gas gas let's all buy gas masks and flame proof clothing for when the pilot light ignites the Ether
and burns the van to the ground killing every one in it scar mongering storeys

Hmmmmmm! Memories, wore a gas mask once.......Ah! They were the days.(y):)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
AHHHH . Again the cup of human kindness runneth over ! People should not stay in motorway aires and thus avoid the possibility of being robbed and having their appearance and status under the cruel scrutiny and p***taking by some of the funsters .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
my work van loves the smell of easystart first thing in the morning. Had a new set of glowplugs on the dashboard for two years.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
AHHHH . Again the cup of human kindness runneth over ! People should not stay in motorway aires and thus avoid the possibility of being robbed and having their appearance and status under the cruel scrutiny and p***taking by some of the funsters .

If someone on here goes to France and is gassed/robbed then we would have a very recent first hand account complete with details........

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I do know someone who was robbed twice on the same services. Village Catalan, once going down to Spain and when they returned home the dozy so and so parked on the northbound side and they got robbed again 6 months later. They swore they had been gassed, but if there antics in Benidorm during the winter were anything to go by, I think it was more to do with vino colapso.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If someone on here goes to France and is gassed/robbed then we would have a very recent first hand account complete with details........

and risk being ridiculed.. ?

has happened.. see other gassing thread..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I suppose it is just too easy to ridicule ridiculous claims. No one has provided proof of gassing, rather they grasp it as the only explanation. When it is not. It's easy to rob people while they sleep. The Met police had a hotel security unit that did pretty much nothing but take witness statements from people who were robbed while they slept. No mention of gas though.... just tired travelers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suppose it is just too easy to ridicule ridiculous claims. No one has provided proof of gassing, rather they grasp it as the only explanation. When it is not. It's easy to rob people while they sleep. The Met police had a hotel security unit that did pretty much nothing but take witness statements from people who were robbed while they slept. No mention of gas though.... just tired travelers.

Agree fully.. and I don't believe gassing happens either Jim ..

my point was that even if someone came on with a letter from the Pope and a hospital toxicology report that they had been gassed they would get laughed off the forum..

a bit like the boy who cried wolf.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're more likely to see the signed letter than a toxicology report I think

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't know abut a toxicology but there has never been a post-mortem report from a gassing robbery and never a recorded case of poisoning by gassing.
Anesthetising someone and killing someone is a very thin line no recorded cases of a lorry driver or holiday maker dying from gassing robbery attempt.
go on someone prove me wrong.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't know abut a toxicology but there has never been a post-mortem report from a gassing robbery and never a recorded case of poisoning by gassing.
Anesthetising someone and killing someone is a very thin line no recorded cases of a lorry driver or holiday maker dying from gassing robbery attempt.
go on someone prove me wrong.

Pah. You've done it again Bill. How are we supposed to know who the real Bill is? :LOL:

You're absolutely right about the thin line though. If this many robberies by gassing were actually happening, they'd have been reports of looted vans with dead bodies by now.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Pah. You've done it again Bill. How are we supposed to know who the real Bill is? :LOL:

You're absolutely right about the thin line though. If this many robberies by gassing were actually happening, they'd have been reports of looted vans with dead bodies by now.
it's the real bill or is it

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Well it would be true to say that no one has disproved that some people might have been gassed

barry

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe they're the ones carry out all the gas robberies :cool:

Reactions: GJH

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
tonights quiz question ! how many 300ml cans of easy start would it take to fill the entire interior space of a motorhome ?? answers on a postcard to the daily mail !!!!

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Gassing does exist my wife just moved off the sofa giving me a I've been gassed look.

Reactions: GJH

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Warning to all future dodgy insurance claimees!

Statement by the Royal College of A
naesthetists

Statement on alleged gassing in motor vehicles

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.

It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.

The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.

If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

14 July 2014

Link Removed

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
There was a story in The Times a couple of weeks ago reporting that a family had been gassed in their motorhome with carbon monoxide, presumably from a vehicle exhaust. They very nearly died and a French hospital where they were taken confirmed traces of carbon monoxide in their blood.

The chances of killing someone this way is extremely high. Can this really be a true story?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We did discuss that here Ifor, (y) http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/another-gassed-in-france-but-with-a-new-twist.90626/

There was a story in The Times a couple of weeks ago reporting that a family had been gassed in their motorhome with carbon monoxide, presumably from a vehicle exhaust. They very nearly died and a French hospital where they were taken confirmed traces of carbon monoxide in their blood.

The chances of killing someone this way is extremely high. Can this really be a true story?

jeff campo

Free Member
Sep 8, 2014
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
New
Have been driving Europe for decades, including Eastern Block, Russia, Ukraine, turkey etc etc and get really hacked at this gas scare nonsense. In all my years I've never met anyone who had been gassed or knew of such an event. Oh there plenty of "tales of the road" but when asked exactly where or when it either doesn't check out, or they can't remember, or "well that's what I was told," absolute nonsense. If you have an opportunity ask the local police regarding this, I have done this and the response I received was that they had heard the tourist whispers but had never encountered a gassing complaint!
Having made that point I would stress that it is essential that people take the necessary precautions, against break in, theft etc as a matter of common sense security
Stop the stupid scare mongering and issue sensible advice.
Regards
Campoj

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back