Another gassed in France but with a new twist (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Think I got gassed last night after ten pints and a half bottle of wine I woke up this morning feeling very groggy with a sore head.
So must have been gassed to feel that bad it's the only logical answer ?
You should give us some warning when you're going to post like this. It's so confusing! :LOL:

Heck, I'm going to have to start checking my grammar and spelling now to keep up with the standard you're setting now. ;-)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Ok, lets just say they left the windows open ...
Thinking about the height to the bottom of the window - To climb up and through a window would take some effort, even if someone gave you a "leg up". No one (especially a fat bloke like me) is going to do that quietly. Chances of not one of the six waking up ... ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I pity any bloody robber who broke into one of my vans...

My people tell me they are so smelly the scumbags would be either rendered unconscious or be exiting rapidly coughing and spluttering and gasping for air!

JJ :cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I pity any bloody robber who broke into one of my vans...

My people tell me they are so smelly the scumbags would be either rendered unconscious or be exiting rapidly coughing and spluttering and gasping for air!

JJ :cool:

Could you not license the idea to Eddie as a budget strike back alternative?

Reactions: JJ
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Where were all six adults sleeping in this van?

One of the photos shows the owner looking at the lock on the cab

So the suitcase and valuables were in the cab.

All the robbers had to do was force the cab door snatch the booty and leg it.

Can you imagine the chaos if anyone in that van had woke up and tried to stop the robbers - it would make a good scene in 'Carry on Gassing' - treading on each other falling about

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::doh::doh::doh:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Previous gassing tales have been laughed at and the usual replies are that its' always a 'friend of a friend'.. or no police involved, or where is the hospital report.. where is the proof.. what gas was used etc etc ... where is the evidence.. it's just an insurance scam.. or to save face.

This case has all the elements missing from previous reports..

1. An ongoing police investigation,
2. A hospital report confirming CO poisoning,
3 Witness statements from no less than six people..
4. Method and gas used.

It's a modern Swift van.. not some dodgy home build tranny van, so a faulty fridge is highly unlikely. Even if it were faulty.. it would need to be burning very poorly allowing all the CO into the van .. and after gassing everyone, it broke loose, jemmied the cab door and stole a suitcase and other valuables .. I don't think so.

I don't know any more than what is in the newspapers, it can not be simply explained by a faulty fridge and or too much booze.. and all done to scam the insurance and save face.

Finding CO in someone's blood isn't that conclusive. Heck, every smoker has it and I suppose if you were parked next to a refrigerated lorry with an engine running and your windows open I suppose you could pick up some that way too although I would have thought that the noise and smell would have driven you away pretty sharpish.

Without blood levels it's hard to say whether it was a factor or not. Oxygen therapy in hospital may well have been precautionary rather than necessary.

Lastly, sometimes new appliances go wrong or are wrongly fitted. Plenty of instances of experts getting things wrong sometime.

That all said, I don't think we can totally dismiss this story yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
wonder the last time they had a habitation check done ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
now now david i know u aint so admit it before i gas ya (y):D;)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
wonder the last time they had a habitation check done ?
Good question. If it's their own van appliances need checked urgently. Of course insurance might not pay up if it turns out that they gassed themselves.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had a guy in The Army who was killed by carbon monoxide. We had a sheet over the engine decks of a Ferret Scout Car. The engine was running to allow the ducted warm air into our 'bivy', but this chap decided to lie down with his head outside. We didn't know what had happened at first, he had turned purple, and of coarse was either dead or unconscious by then. Only been laid down for a few minuets. They sent a medevac chopper in, but he was pronounced DOA at Tidworth MH. :cry::cry:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Can I just say that being an experienced motorhome owner and wild camped all over France and Germany and other parts of Europe that i see gassing stories all the time.
There was a difference with this one despite weather or not it was true.

There was method with a stated gas described...yes CO could potentially kill you but do you think desperate robbers would give a toss?

You no longer die from exhaust fumes unless you have a full tank of petrol. One recent car manufacture was even going to use suicide from Co doesn't happen any more because it's car was so green and clean (Google it )
As i said earlier is likely the toX reps of many would show CO levels and ifi can find it ill bring my CO machine to a meet to show you (HAVE one from when i was the smoking cessation lead )

Yes the story is probably fantasy but worthy of debate because it's NEW it's not the old tripe being ran out.

As for gassing becoming the new whiplash? Are you for real? never seen one claim for that ever.

Also i don't think we should be calling people who stop at service areas idiots..Over the years i and others have done this a hundred times without incident and ice known many robbed on aires and campsites hence why i always take precautions...

I think for a whlie it would be better if you all stayed away from the continen until such a time that this is cleared up. This should be around November time but I'm going over in October totest it all out on behalf of fun....

Empty Aires blis. ..

By the way. I'm sat here on a cl in the peak district that's coating just 5 pond a night....The views are wicked and I'm preparing for my 33 mile ultra run tomorrow by carb loading and breathing very fresh air..that's the bliss of camping. ...and quite soon my wife will be here as well as a couple of friends in my support crew..my dog is running around outside in a 2 acre paddock without danger...This my friends is UK camping at its best. ....

Second by the way is how on earth did your spelling improve so much Bill? Well done mate....

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
"The summer heat had made the family restless and unable to sleep"

So of course the only action the robbers could take was to wait until a family of six were asleep (while avoiding making any noise around the open windows and vents of the motorhome).
This waiting time would of course give them the opportunity to quietly remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust system on the car thus ensuring the correct mix of anaesthetic and Castrol GTX was delivered by their anaesthesiologists who would rev the engine at just the right level to introduce the gas into the car.
A third villain would checking PDFs downloaded from the manufacturer of the motorhome to establish which of the numerous floor vents entered the habitation space and not a gas locker or fridge housing. They would go on to further check that the best situated vent to "treat" all passengers was not blocked by a load of stuff crammed into the underseat and underbed storage by the six passengers.

Yawn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
bow-burglar-fat-stuck.jpg
(especially a fat bloke like me)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Still want to know how they travel 6 adults in that van with a max of 4 belted seats and without overloading it...........
Can you imagine , my idea of holiday from hell. You'd have to get on.......
Plus the bunks only take a certain weight. Looks like they're all heavier than a large child.
I think it's an insurance scam too.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can you imagine , my idea of holiday from hell. You'd have to get on.......
Plus the bunks only take a certain weight. Looks like there all heavier than a large child.
I think it's an insurance scam too.
I wonder if insurance companies read these forums? We should neither prejudge nor accuse without knowing the facts but a smart insurer would ask a few questions in the knowledge of the media reporting. Who said that there was no such thing as bad publicity?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Well there are a lot of stories out there off it happening to lorry drivers who wake up and the trailer has been emptied ......i was unaware of them before but I work for a large logistics company and was talking to a colleague about the claims of motorhome gassing ....and apparently it's been happening with truckers for years.
Who knows ....im not saying it does or it doesn't and being a sceptic with most things I like definately proof but i can see how it could happen
drivers who get gassed mysteriously wake up with big wads of cash in there pocket

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back