Another gassed in France but with a new twist (1 Viewer)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Also wouldnt there be, a mess from the burglars rummaging through their things even CCTV evidence if at a service stn, 6 adults sleeping in a van, surely someone would have heard something

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Once again such stories initially appear plausible until you look more closely at the operation and ramifications.

For a start, how does anyone know how much to pump into a vehicle to ensure they are incapacitated without killing them? What might put to sleep a large adult might have already killed their small child or elderly relative. That means a nationwide hunt and a life sentence.

What is the method of ingress? Through the waste pipe maybe? - but did the occupants leave the plugs in the sink/shower? Would the initial smell not wake up an occupant? A chemical smell would definitely wake me very quickly. How do you know they do not have a CO alarm? Lots of people do. And how did they get into the van? "The summer heat had made the family restless and unable to sleep..." - so they had windows open then. Six people need more ventilation than comes from just a roof vent. But open windows mean that what was pumped in could easily escape. So perpetrators would have to close the windows first, and not be heard by any one of six people. And it was a service station - other vehicles coming and going means higher levels of ambient vehicle fumes than normal anyway.

The location means a greater risk of discovery for the perpetrators. What about CCTV used to protect against driveaways. If these things happen in service stations how come there's never any visual evidence? Never any witnesses? Why are these always perfect crimes with 100% success rates?

Now I know petty crooks are generally not too bright, otherwise they'd be in government, but all this effort and risk for the same reward as they could get from a handbag snatch does put them in the really dumb category. And dumb people tend to make more mistakes so how come no-one has been seriously injured or killed

So here's what we can say is most likely to have happened: A family of six adults went to sleep with one or more windows open in an area of high ambient exhaust fumes and woke up to find someone had entered the van and nicked their stuff. Everything else in the newspaper story is anecdotal or pure speculation or embellishment, written up for maximum effect and column inches.

So far so good. But one thing does worry me about these stories. If you are going to get into a strange motorhome in the night to rob the occupants without gassing them how do you get away with it in the dark in and unfamiliar space without waking up anyone? How do you know that the occupants are sufficiently drunk to pose no threat? How do you know what security measures might be in place? One light sleeper and you are in real trouble. Why take the risk for an uncertain reward?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
With Co poisoning, there's a fine line between:
Unconscious - brain damage - death

Sarcasm on:
Quite stunned that the robbers were smart enough to administer enough exhaust gasses to enable all 6 of the family to remain unconscious, and not move to steps "brain damage or death".
Sarcasm off.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Once again such stories initially appear plausible until you look more closely at the operation and ramifications.

EDIT FOR BREVITY

So far so good. But one thing does worry me about these stories. If you are going to get into a strange motorhome in the night to rob the occupants without gassing them how do you get away with it in the dark in and unfamiliar space without waking up anyone? How do you know that the occupants are sufficiently drunk to pose no threat? How do you know what security measures might be in place? One light sleeper and you are in real trouble. Why take the risk for an uncertain reward?

Especially if the light sleeper has the 'shocker' purchased in Germany fully charged up! (Hypothetically of course, your Honour.)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have the answer.........

.....It could have been UKBill parked next door running his kipor generator....... :imoutahere:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It takes only minutes for a suicidal person to kill themselves by the diverted exhaust-gas method.
This story is nonsense.

Agreed, in the sealed, small space of a car, not a well ventilated van.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
To do this you'd also need a petrol car with no (or
It takes only minutes for a suicidal person to kill themselves by the diverted exhaust-gas method.
This story is nonsense.

Is that still the case though? I thought catalytic converters reduced CO levels to virtually zero and that it is actually very hard to gas yourself with a modern car exhaust.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Not nowadays or doesn't :)

Any how I think you are all very stupid not to believe this story...It obviously happened it's in the paper...

Don't say i didn't warn you. ...Anyhow Yorkshire is nice at this time of year and for safety reasons I've cancelled all further holidays over water....

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
How long would it take a car engine on idle to pump enough CO2 into a van to render the large number of occupants incapable? How deep a sleep would you need to be in not to hear that car idling just outside your van? Which access point did the 'robbers' push the hosepipe? 'The person who took my blood said'......... Another fluent English speaker in the French NHS, as the crew of that van clearly aren't fluent in French. HO Ho I wonder what the loss adjuster will make of that particular story and the report from the Police.
Actually as an ex mechanic no time at all in an enclosed area you can be unconscious in no time .....although you'd normally be coughing and choking a little before hand ....

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Is that still the case though? I thought catalytic converters reduced CO levels to virtually zero and that it is actually very hard to gas yourself with a modern car exhaust.
Your correct unless of course the other twist was they were using a 190 capri

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Seems to me gassing is becoming the new whiplash insurance claim!
Once again, an expert was used to calculate the right dosage of carbon monoxide to render 6 different sized people unconscious with no risk of anybody dying, also taking into account the rate of dispersal after the exhaust delivery pipe was removed.
I don't believe a word of it. More likely they have a faulty fridge.
Allan

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
They were robbed while asleep

It was hot

The windows must have been open

Insurance would not pay out if windows were open

The CO poisoning was either from the fridge or nearby refrigerated truck with engine running

Robbery and CO poisoning not connected

All speculation............ and speculation is what the newspaper report is

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Previous gassing tales have been laughed at and the usual replies are that its' always a 'friend of a friend'.. or no police involved, or where is the hospital report.. where is the proof.. what gas was used etc etc ... where is the evidence.. it's just an insurance scam.. or to save face.

This case has all the elements missing from previous reports..

1. An ongoing police investigation,
2. A hospital report confirming CO poisoning,
3 Witness statements from no less than six people..
4. Method and gas used.

It's a modern Swift van.. not some dodgy home build tranny van, so a faulty fridge is highly unlikely. Even if it were faulty.. it would need to be burning very poorly allowing all the CO into the van .. and after gassing everyone, it broke loose, jemmied the cab door and stole a suitcase and other valuables .. I don't think so.

I don't know any more than what is in the newspapers, it can not be simply explained by a faulty fridge and or too much booze.. and all done to scam the insurance and save face.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years

Yep, that is the case. Had that very discussion at a conference last week !

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Think I got gassed last night after ten pints and a half bottle of wine I woke up this morning feeling very groggy with a sore head.
So must have been gassed to feel that bad it's the only logical answer ?

Me too. I didn't quite drink as much as that but I woke with a fuzzy head and a dry throat.

Also quite a lot of money was missing from my wallet.

All my cigarettes had gone as well.

I can only conclude that I too was gassed and robbed in my own home.

I am off to report it to the Daily Mail and I am working on my "hurt and wounded" look for the photograph.

Almost scared to go to bed tonight out of a fear of what could have happened to me.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Give me your address, I will send some the dogs around to trash your garden and anything else and then you will have a miserable look...... all part of the service and we don't charge for it either. Pro bonio in fact.:groan:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Seems to me gassing is becoming the new whiplash insurance claim!
Once again, an expert was used to calculate the right dosage of carbon monoxide to render 6 different sized people unconscious with no risk of anybody dying, also taking into account the rate of dispersal after the exhaust delivery pipe was removed.
I don't believe a word of it. More likely they have a faulty fridge.
Allan

The insurance companies reckon no one has ever claimed for being gassed...robbed yes but not by gassing...strange...BUSBY:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They were robbed while asleep

It was hot

The windows must have been open

Insurance would not pay out if windows were open

The CO poisoning was either from the fridge or nearby refrigerated truck with engine running

Robbery and CO poisoning not connected

All speculation............ and speculation is what the newspaper report is

Well if the windows were open there would have been plenty of ventilation..Think if an engine was running next to my van for more than a couple of minutes either i would request they switched it off or i would move. BUSBY:):)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
ok, firstly............bourges has 2.........yes, 2 aires du camping car. i've used them both and strangely not been gassed.
if these muppets had an ounce of sense you avoid m/way stopovers like the plague.
secondly, a van is @ 20 cubic metres, here are a few figures
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%)

Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes

it's the symptoms whilst being poisoned and the very fine line between being incapacitated for a while............and permanently!

i think the most poignant line in the article is:-
"Robbers broke into the vehicle and stole a suitcase, mobile phones, jewellery and money worth £1,900"

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm sure the police , insurance assessors and medical staff will all be relieved to know that an online motorhome forum of experts have solved the case :p

Cause they've never dealt with fraud or anything before :)

On a side note I find it funny how in this instance the papers are to be doubted but the story they printed about one old man camping on a beach in Ayrshire is taken as fact lol ........media at its best

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm sure the police , insurance assessors and medical staff will all be relieved to know that an online motorhome forum of experts have solved the case :p

Cause they've never dealt with fraud or anything before :)

On a side note I find it funny how in this instance the papers are to be doubted but the story they printed about one old man camping on a beach in Ayrshire is taken as fact lol ........media at its best

Gassing stories are put on My Fun on an almost monthly basis. Considering the number of cases, no one has ever been caught doing it and the Royal College of Anethetists have reported that the normal modus operandi would be impossible. The only difference here is the use of CO which as others have also mentioned, is also potentially lethal - the fact that there were so many different sized "victims" who all survived the event makes many people skeptical.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
mmmm why do me and me genny get brought into these tall stories my poor old gennu aint done nowt to anyone (well only is ya aint parked near me)and besides i am thinking of selling me genny and now people will think its noisy :)
anyway back to the main point
1st 6 of em all in that mh what was it a swingers party
2nd the brother at the front what was he annoyed about because they didnt molest him maybe
3rd the police say they wait for people to go into thier mh's to bed well surely if you was watching a mh to burgle you wouldnt pick 1 with 6 bloody swingers in they would be up all night looking for their keys :LOL:
4th i think they all have shares in a co detector maker
5th imho its a load of b**ls**t
6th anyone wanna buy a nice quiet kipor :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back