LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
No not a gassing thread, but a gas help thread please.
As you can see from the picture my gas bottle and connection. We are in Spain and I want to get a Spanish bottle for our winter trip. So can I get a jumbo adaptor and unscrew that small nut at the end of the pigtail, to the right of the connector with the button on the end and connect the jumbo adaptor to my pigtail and then straight onto a Spanish bottle. And one more question, is a Spanish repsol or similar bottle the same size as my 13 kg bottle so I know it will fit in the locker. Hope all that makes sense, and someone can answer my questions.
IMG_2761.JPG

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
13-11Kg Gas Bottle.jpg
Here are the dimensions of a normal Spanish and Portuguese gas bottle.
Just about everyone in Spain uses butane gas bottles, which contain 12.5kgs of gas when full (such as in the picture), but you can get hold of propane bottles, although they are much harder to come across, and very few places will swop an empty for a full one....bottle is same size but contains 11kgs of propane.
The standard bottle top 30mbar
Regulator.JPG
regulator fits every type of gas bottle in Spain and Portugal. Usually it connects to your flexible pigtail using a jubilee clip...but you can get a bottle top connector that DOES NOT have a pressure regulator inside it...so it's a sort of straight-through valve, thus the gas will be high pressure as it comes in through your flexible pigtail to your wall mounted pressure regulator inside you gas cupboard.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks Nomad but don't need regulator just a adaptor. What I want is to be able just to put Spanish bottle in and connect and go. Then when back in U.K. Put my uk bottle back in. Would the butane be ok with my regulator as it's normally propane I use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thanks Nomad but don't need regulator just a adaptor. What I want is to be able just to put Spanish bottle in and connect and go. Then when back in U.K. Put my uk bottle back in. Would the butane be ok with my regulator as it's normally propane I use.

Yes - that's what I said: that you can get a jumbo adaptor that looks similar to the one in the photo I showed, but without the regulator gubbins inside it. Go to any of the big DIY stores in Spain: Leroy Merlin, AKI, Bricoman. etc.
Yes butane will work with your system. We almost always use butane, but I have now and then used propane if the weather is due to be below zero for a while; and both work just fine.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just to update. Running on Spanish gas now, saves on Electric when you have to pay for it. A freind of mine runs on propane all the time and it's available everywhere. He is staying on Villasol and knew a guy on el raco who had a full bottle for sale and even had a pigtail to fit mine, I had already bought the jumbo adaptor from a local hardware shop. So done the deal and all sorted now. (y)
Cost
Jumbo adaptor €10
Full bottle of propane €28
New pigtail € 2
IMG_3006.JPG

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just to update. Running on Spanish gas now, saves on Electric when you have to pay for it. A freind of mine runs on propane all the time and it's available everywhere. He is staying on Villasol and knew a guy on el raco who had a full bottle for sale and even had a pigtail to fit mine, I had already bought the jumbo adaptor from a local hardware shop. So done the deal and all sorted now. (y)
Cost
Jumbo adaptor €10
Full bottle of propane €28
New pigtail € 2
View attachment 138718
What make bottle is that?

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
What make bottle is that?

It's a CEPSA ultralite bottle.....it's their new generation of ultralite ones, which are even lighter than the normal Cepsa silver aluminium bottles.
If it's got a blue plastic handle it's the 11kgs of propane gas version, if it's got a red plastic handle it's the 12.5kgs of butane version.
They are really remarkably light!

I always use butane rather than propane, and I carry three of the butane version of them in our motorhome here in Spain if we are going away on tour for 2 or 3 months.
I can vouch for the fact that the empty bottle weight is even less than the silver aluminium CEPSA butane bottles.
They are the same price as the "old" silver CEPSA bottle for a swop/refill at any CEPSA fuel station etc across Spain, but as there aren't too many in circulation yet, sometimes you have to put up with getting a full silver bottle in exchange for your ultralite empty.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I was surprised how light it was being full. When you compare it to a uk 13 kg bottle full. Even the uk propane bottle must weigh more when empty than this one very happy.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I needed a Cepsa replacement bottle on my way out to Morocco - the garage offered to replace the butane with a propane, one of the new lightweight ones as shown above at no extra charge. At first I thought it was empty, the bottle was so light, but it lasted me fine.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I needed a Cepsa replacement bottle on my way out to Morocco - the garage offered to replace the butane with a propane, one of the new lightweight ones as shown above at no extra charge. At first I thought it was empty, the bottle was so light, but it lasted me fine.

To be honest if this one had not had the seal on, I would have thought it was empty.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
To be honest if this one had not had the seal on, I would have thought it was empty.

Just bought the same bottle to feed through my gaslow works great .I was going to get rid when we leave but its so light I will keeep it there is a dutch guy selling gas bottles on Villasol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back