LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Having survived the sub-zero temperatures at Baltic Wharf since Sunday, I've now moved to the C&cc site at Oxford. They phoned to warn me that they had frozen water pipes and to fill up before getting here.

Unfortunately my pipes are now frozen too so I can't get any water out of my taps.

I have the heating on but I'm nervous of putting the water heater on in case it doesn't have any water in the tank.

Is that the correct thing to do or should I put the water heater on to help keep the water flowing?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If I were you I would wait till the heating gets the van warm leave the taps open and you will know when they are thawed as for water heater I would wait until water is running then you can fill the boiler
I usually have water heater on in cold weather just to stop it freezing up.
Hope all is ok and you don’t have any leaks(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have had the water heater on since Sunday but when I realised that the pump was running but no water coming through, I turned it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have had the water heater on since Sunday but when I realised that the pump was running but no water coming through, I turned it off.

Hoping the answer is no but I know how I, too, am worrying at the moment.. :( Is there any chance that your pipes/tank has burst and released the water? That why the pump running dry?

Not described that very well sorry.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I know what you mean but the gauge is showing the tank's still full. I want to try and stop the hot water tank from freezing up and getting damaged.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I dont know if you can see feel and pipework maybe its blocked with ice dosnt take much.If you feel any cold spots try thawing it out with a hairdryer maybe.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear. I hope you don't end up coming home, like we did. We only lost 2 days. :(

Wyn

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its a combi having the heating on for a couple of hours should thaw everything onless it a bit of exposed pipe underneath

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
if its a combi having the heating on for a couple of hours should thaw everything onless it a bit of exposed pipe underneath

Crazy that the manufacturer should route pipes outside in this country, isn't it? I've had the heating on since lunchtime and resorted to putting the fan heater under the bed to no avail. Hopefully the heating will keep up the temperature around the hot water tank. Not much more I can do tonight and tomorrow is another day.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We don't winterise and store our van as we usually use it all year round. That has been scuppered by the flippin recall this year. Our local Fiat dealer has had our van since 8 February, the weather was milder and we certainly didn't anticipate that they would still have our van more than 3 weeks later. In these conditions we would be able to check our van and would have put a greenhouse heater inside to keep everything from freezing. I bet they are not taking similar precautions while our van is in their care, and I am now worrying that we are going to end up with frozen and / or burst pipes to add to our woes.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have our van at home and on hook up. I have the water heater set at the lower of the 2 temperatures (40deg) the blown air heating set at 10deg and always on and supplement the internal temperature with a small oil filled radiator set low. The grey tank is empty and I have left the outlet valve open. The clean water is about half full. Morning and evening I am checking the van by going in and turning on the bathroom tap to check hot water comes out, and drains out of the grey tank. I also check it feels OK inside. There is an internal thermometer which is at the opposite end to the oil filled radiator and generally reads about 7 deg.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's a Truma combined HW & heating having either turned on will prevent any possibility of the boiler freezing. The two systems are concentric around the same burner. One ring of flame heats the boiler and a second concentric ring heats a heat exchanger for the warm air. Heat from either flame ring will warm the boiler.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I guess I will have to wait till it thaws on Monday. Can't believe there are people in tents at the site!
IMG_20180302_072353.jpg

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
At least I’m not the only one! My exploits are posted under the title Frozen MH pipes and taps.

Hope it all goes well for everyone.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The Truma water heater exits a the top so should have water in it if you have electric fan heaters as well as gas on it may slowly thaw I would leave the cold tap on and keep switching the pump on. I`ve had loads of calls today from people with condensing boilers saying they had stopped working, it`s all down to the cold snap

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Make up a mixture of a large amount of salt mixed with a small amount of water and pour it into your fresh water tank inlet. Best to fill until overflowing as it will place a head of salt water on the water pump which normally sits at a lower level. It's worked for us in the past when the fresh water tank has frozen. Refill with fresh water once things start moving. Allow the salt water mix to move into the waste tank to sort out any frozen water in that area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for the replies! I will have a go at the salt trick.

It looks like the last day of minus temperatures tomorrow so fingers crossed that everyone's water systems thaw out without damage.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We don't winterise and store our van as we usually use it all year round. That has been scuppered by the flippin recall this year. Our local Fiat dealer has had our van since 8 February, the weather was milder and we certainly didn't anticipate that they would still have our van more than 3 weeks later. In these conditions we would be able to check our van and would have put a greenhouse heater inside to keep everything from freezing. I bet they are not taking similar precautions while our van is in their care, and I am now worrying that we are going to end up with frozen and / or burst pipes to add to our woes.
I'd get in first with an email to them pointing out the likelihood of freezing,dumping,damage ,etc; & stating that you won't be removing it until all heating hotwater systems have been fully tested .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Luckily, our 21 year old Swift has an internal water tank and pipe work. The only thing outside is the waste tank and waste pipes. A few days ago, in temperatures of around -8 and high winds, we noticed the water wasn’t draining from the bathroom sink, I assumed a frozen waste trap on that pipe, and the drain taps on the waste tank were frozen.
No damage when they thawed out, thank goodness.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I guess I will have to wait till it thaws on Monday. Can't believe there are people in tents at the site!

We stayed at Scotgate Holiday Park at Braithwaite, just outside Keswick one December. There were a couple of tents set up in the snow. Val called into the toilet block on our way back from the pub that evening, she said there were three girls in their sleeping bags, sleeping on the under heated floor in the Ladies toilets as they couldn't stand it any longer under canvas.(y):)

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Janine. You are not alone with this problem during the recent cold weather. Sometimes I call in to see what this nice couple who upload on YouTube are up to and they have the same problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back