Another flat battery! Just two weeks old... (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Here's a scan from your eBay link,
No its not, my link was to a search result bringing up dozens of suppliers selling it, not my fault you looked a a supplier that doesn't list the spec correctly.
As I've said I've got one so I know what it does.
w.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The UNI-T UT210E does measure DC current. I've got one.

Lenny linked to a search for that meter on eBay. It's hardly his fault that the first item that comes up in the list is from a crappy seller advertising a UT210E at a very low price, when what he actually appears to be selling from the photos in his listing is an ANENG ST201 clamp meter, which doesn't measure DC current, and which is not even made by UNI-T. It's cheap for a reason!

Caveat emptor ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Battery charged for 20 hours at 4A. Showing 12.7V. I've done the parasitic current drain test and it is as expected at 36mA (I think!?). I'll leave the battery uncharged for a couple of days and see what we get. If it drops volts again then they can have it back!
Thanks to all for the info and Two on Tour for the PM with a very helpful video.
John
Control Panel switched on.
20200707_144442[1].jpg

Radio On
20200707_144807[1].jpg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Battery charged for 20 hours at 4A. Showing 12.7V. I've done the parasitic current drain test and it is as expected at 36mA (I think!?). I'll leave the battery uncharged for a couple of days and see what we get. If it drops volts again then they can have it back!
Thanks to all for the info and Two on Tour for the PM with a very helpful video.
John
Control Panel switched on.
View attachment 405052

Radio On
View attachment 405053
Whilst your readings look to make sense your picture shows you have the red lead in the 10amp socket... But the scale selector swtch isn't selecting the 10amp range..
Andy.

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst your readings look to make sense your picture shows you have the red lead in the 10amp socket... But the scale selector swtch isn't selecting the 10amp range..
Andy.

You could be distracted by the 10A indicator in the AC range? I was using the DC range.
John

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I don't want to get into a pointless discussion, but the scale markers are just that, within the 10A range capability marked on the dial. The Resistance scale works in the same way. Here's a pic I just took, after moving the scale marker. You will see that the displayed figure has increased by a factor of ten. It's the same value, unless someone here knows different...
20200707_165524[1].jpg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Now that you techies have finished (?) has anybody asked yet if the earth has been checked

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
From the Manual. I think that's clear enough!
Connect the black test lead to the COM jack [5] and the red test lead to the 10A jack [8]

(for currents > 200mA) or to the mA/BATT jack [9] (for currents < 200mA).

 Set the range selector switch [4] to the desired range in the DC current measuring range

If you do not know the current, first set the highest possible measuring range and then reduce

it gradually to the lower ranges until you obtain a satisfactory measurement result.

 Connect the test probes [7] in series to the test object.

 The measurement result is then indicated on the display [1]. A negative sign is indicated in

front of the measured value for a negative measurement resul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From the Manual. I think that's clear enough!
Connect the black test lead to the COM jack [5] and the red test lead to the 10A jack [8]

(for currents > 200mA) or to the mA/BATT jack [9] (for currents < 200mA).

 Set the range selector switch [4] to the desired range in the DC current measuring range

If you do not know the current, first set the highest possible measuring range and then reduce

it gradually to the lower ranges until you obtain a satisfactory measurement result.

 Connect the test probes [7] in series to the test object.

 The measurement result is then indicated on the display [1]. A negative sign is indicated in

front of the measured value for a negative measurement resul
Looks like the Chinese translator got it wong. :giggle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't want to get into a pointless discussion, but the scale markers are just that, within the 10A range capability marked on the dial. The Resistance scale works in the same way. Here's a pic I just took, after moving the scale marker. You will see that the displayed figure has increased by a factor of ten. It's the same value, unless someone here knows different...
View attachment 405066
Not getting into a discussion either.. It was on the wrong scale..
I didn't want to speculate in my original post as to whether it would be out by a factor of 10 or not.. As my experience of those meters in the past indicates they do read the current in a different way..
The mili amp and micro amp scales read directly..
The 10amp scale uses a different socket because it passes the current through a shunt and gives a reading that way..
Matters not asl ong as you are sorted
Andy.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The UNI-T UT210E does measure DC current. I've got one.

Lenny linked to a search for that meter on eBay. It's hardly his fault that the first item that comes up in the list is from a crappy seller advertising a UT210E at a very low price, when what he actually appears to be selling from the photos in his listing is an ANENG ST201 clamp meter, which doesn't measure DC current, and which is not even made by UNI-T. It's cheap for a reason!

Caveat emptor ;)
Thank god for your reply , i was just about to go to the van to check.
Saved me getting dressed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back