another filling up question... (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
Our first trip is looming and i'm just wondering when I get to the CC site we've booked are there usually designated areas to enable me to fill up with water or do I need to carry a long length of hose so I can do it when I'm parked, I was going to carry a hosepipe for filling up anyway but wanted to keep it as short as possible for storage purposes
Thanks in advance
Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Roll flat hoze is expensive and slow filling and short-lived but if space is at a premium that its ideal. Plenty of people just use a watering can. (y)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Check the facilities of the CC site in their book, it will say if it has a MH service point, but you will need some hose and Hozelock connectors. We have a flat hose on a reel, £20+ but probably cheaper on eBay. Also a length of corrugated waste pipe, useful if you get a serviced pitch.
But mostly I use two collapsible buckets, one for fresh, one for waste. And a funnel I have glued a bit of hose to for filling with fresh - it clips in place on the window frame but a watering can may be better for your may be better for your MH. This saves moving the vehicle to refill things and many sites don't have MH service points, so you will need this sort of kit sooner or later anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I prefer jerry cans (white for clean water, black for the controversial grey water) but I can also see the logic of watering cans. If there's any distance involved I strap them to my bike frame and walk them back and forth.

Anything that prevents you having to wait for someone else to faff around at at the service point is a good idea, especially on European aires.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I tend to top up on arrival on site then use a 10 Lt watering can when required. I also carry a long X hose which expands to over double it's original length when charged with water. When empty it shrinks back and is very light and easy to stow away. I call it my erection hose...!

Upvote 0

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
I use a 15 ltr collapsible container and a drain pipe bend that fits into the filler point on the van. I also carry a hose to use at water points. Most CC sites have motorhome service points.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Personally I carry a long length of food grade hose. Dedicated service points can be in any position, but are invariably sited in one way systems so the direction of your vehicle will determine where your vehicle filler and the site tap connector is, and this applies here and in Europe. Our other personal preference is to use a large container to fill where we cannot get the hose on, and we have had a whale pump connector installed near our filler point that we use to fill the main tank from the container. We use that container as our travelling water where we don't need to be full on arrival. A lot of this is personal preference.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Our reel of flat hose has lasted 6yrs so far (y) I also carry a couple of short lengths,probably about 3 mtrs for when we're close to a tap.
A 10ltr plastic jerry can with a detachable spout is also part of the kit along with various adaptors.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
If you are going to drink the water, don't use an ordinary garden hose as it will make it taste awful. As stated, food grade hose is best. I have a couple of lengths and a connector so that I can vary the length. Hose lock connectors also necessary for the different tap connectors. Always have some disinfectant wipes for the tap as many people are not fussy what they use the tap for (even on a CC site!). For the waste, you will often find a removeable grid at the MH service point which can be awkward to line up. I have found a bike inner tube quite useful to direct the waste grey water when you just can't quite get close enough to direct the waste down the grid. Enjoy your first outing and hope it's one of very many. (y)

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I use clean empty jam jars as they are much lighter to carry.

Also if you hang them at the bottom of a length of string they are easier to carry (spill less) and observers think I'm just off down the river to catch minnows.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You say it's your first trip, you really do need to make room for hoses, we carry a 3m, a 7m and a 20m roll flat one for emergencies, plus a selection of tap connectors and connectors so all the hoses can be coupled together, also 4 or 5 3/4 bsp tap fitting as they often get left behind on taps.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Along with all the Hozelock fittings I carry 20m flat hose (pain because it has to be fully unwound) 20m thrufeed hose ( can be used partly unwound) but very seldom have to use them ... if you can park close to the tap it is often quicker to use a garden watering can which is also useful for topping-up. I also carry a short length of hose (approx 4m) also useful if close to tap. All the hose is food grade.

PS Enjoy your first trip.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have a 25-metre curly food grade hose like this - doesn't take up a huge amount of space & after a year it's still great fun trying to get the final drips out of it. Lots of connectors. Wipes. 5-litre jerry-can for drinking water.
product_thumb.php

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've written the list, something else to get my head around, many thanks for the info and thoughts

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I had a 12v socket fitted next to the van's water cap so pump my water in via a 25 litre container carried on a collapsible trolly. 4 trips gives me 100 litres. Job done. Easy peasy!
I add Puriclean tablets from time to time when filling especially if I think the water has been standing in the site pipework for a while. I do let the tap run in these instances. :D

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We don't use the stored tank water for drinking. It's probably fine but I had a bad experience once, many years ago. When travelling the clean water tank is 1/3 to 1/2 full and we carry a flask of hot water and a few bottles of water from home. These drinking water bottles are refilled from the drinking water supply taps when we stop. A couple of times I have bought bottled water from Lidl / Aldi / Tesco :(

We carry two of the erection hoses (love the name) which I got in Lidl when they were on special and then further reduced. Plus a huge bag of assorted connectors which we seem to have accumulated over the years. The pound shop is your friend for these. :)

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Just remember, fill up at the specified m/h service point on cc sites. The warden will be after you if you fill up at the non m/h tap.:wondering:

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We don't use main tank for drinking water so use garden hose. Lidl have 20m including some fittings for £6.99 this week.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Just remember, fill up at the specified m/h service point on cc sites. The warden will be after you if you fill up at the non m/h tap.:wondering:

Is this yet another new ruler with cc?. I have been using cc for over 30 years and never had a problem using a normal fresh water point provided I am conciderate of other users.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is this yet another new ruler with cc?. I have been using cc for over 30 years and never had a problem using a normal fresh water point provided I am conciderate of other users.
Probably only if you're blocking the service road.
Or if you're stopping others filling a much smaller container than your moho tank.
Or if you use a non-drinking water tap - it's the same water but others may have used the tap for their toilet cassettes and who'd want the results of THAT anywhere near their 'domestic' water?

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We were not blocking anyone
No one was waiting
We had just arrived, no waste to dump or cassette to empty
I would never use the drinking water tap for cleaning out our cassette.
N.b never had problems previously on any cc sites, and never really agreed with cc warden bashers. They have a difficult job to do keeping everyone happy.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hi all
Our first trip is looming and i'm just wondering when I get to the CC site we've booked are there usually designated areas to enable me to fill up with water or do I need to carry a long length of hose so I can do it when I'm parked, I was going to carry a hosepipe for filling up anyway but wanted to keep it as short as possible for storage purposes
Thanks in advance
Dave
Enjoy your first trip out

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
N.b never had problems previously on any cc sites, and never really agreed with cc warden bashers. They have a difficult job to do keeping everyone happy.
So if it was just the one time it may just have been a new-ish warden who's a bit strict with enforcing the rules? Or maybe someone had complained previously?
Anyway, I agree that wardens can have a very difficult job dealing with all of us Happy Campers!

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi Dave,
Good luck with first trip.
We use a length of garden type hose 8m and a small watering can with spout long enough to enter filler hole, been ok for years, however, if you buy a clear plastic hose in a pack (caravan type) the 2 metre one is too short, as has been said 4 metres or more is fine.
Etap

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back