Another Exploding Water Thread.... (1 Viewer)

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We have a problem with our new (to us) Moho.

Our water seems to explode out of the taps. It's been happening since we got it, dealer said it was an air lock, we assumed it was as well. it happens on all taps, both hot and cold. However, after several refills and bleeding, doing various combinations of hot/cold, one tap at a time/all together etc, and two weeks away when the problem hasn't righted itself, we are beginning to feel it may not be an air lock.

Firstly, I am certain there is no split in any of the hoses, but there is air visible in the plastic filter attached to the intake. I've run the pump without the filter and it still does it. While it's running there is an audible sound, not sure how to describe it, sort of watery clicking. When I it turn it off, once the hot water tank is filled, it goes quiet, except a very faint hissing in the vicinity of the pump. I've also done the toilet paper test and there appears to be a slight leak from the pump, it's not on either the intake or outlet, but feels to be around the body of the pump where it is screwed together (diaphragm chamber?).

The pump is a Sureflo Trail Blazer 7.

So is the pump knackered or can it be repaired, and is this the cause of our problem or are they two separate issues.

Like to get it sorted as although I don't mind the we T-shirt look on someone young and fit, it looks a bit daft on a podgy middle aged man.

Appreciate any help on this.

Andy

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You had the shower head low in the tray and turned on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'd be tempted to take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
I agree. If they fix it in half a second & you feel a bit of a wally, so what? - it'll be fixed! And if it's something bigger than that, even better to get somebody else to sort it.

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
I'd be tempted to take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.

I'm sure the dealer would fix it, but it's a 500 mile round trip, a tank of fuel and an overnight stop. Was hoping to avoid that if it's an easy fix.

Andy

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm sure the dealer would fix it, but it's a 500 mile round trip, a tank of fuel and an overnight stop. Was hoping to avoid that if it's an easy fix.

Andy
Good excuse for a holiday then! Are they in a nice area?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You can get a new replacement water pump online pretty cheap online from the bay , even if the pump that you have is ok , its never a bad idea to carry a spare water pump.
Also make sure that the hose connections in the inlet side of the pump are not allowing air to be sucked in when the pump is running.

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
You can get a new replacement water pump online pretty cheap online from the bay , even if the pump that you have is ok , its never a bad idea to carry a spare water pump.
Also make sure that the hose connections in the inlet side of the pump are not allowing air to be sucked in when the pump is running.

I'll double check the inlet hose. I've seen the pumps online, but I would also like to try and confirm that it is actually the problem.

@Andy H - note that I'm also in East Sussex if you want a 2nd opinion as to the cause of the problem

Thank you. I might take you up on that, I'm only about half hour or so from Hastings.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
@Andy H
It sounds like an air leak between tank and pump or the pump itself. An air leak (on the 'suction' side) will let air in but won't necessarily let water leak out.
Run it over to Johns Cross at Robertsbridge. Phone first.
Johns Cross can't be far from you and have terrific customer service, excellent workshops/engineers and won't rip you off.
I've no connection, just a very satisfied customer.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
2 possibilities but connected. the pump is sucking air, hence the weep. and the non return valve has stuck allowing the water to run back to the tank

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our taps do this after the system has been drained down, after refilling the tank, the taps will run for a bit, and then do the exploding water thing. Letting them run for a few minutes clears all the air out of the system.
Therefore, I have to concur with @Spriddler , air is entering the system somewhere via a leak (probably very small) allowing the water to run back out of the pipes.

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Bingo, I believe I have found the problem.

Today I decided to remove the pump and try it outside the van, in order to either rule it in or rule it out. Whilst removing the pump, I also thought I'd take the connectors off as I'd need them. What I found was that the jubilee clip on the intake had been overtightened to the point where it had crushed the connector, and it was clearly cracked. Prime suspect.

Tested pump outside with a couple of bits of aquarium hose and 12v PSU. It was obvious when I could get a close up look in good light and with transparent hose. A quick trip to Chichester Caravans and a £2.60 pair of replacement connectors and bobs your uncle. No more air. I'll fit it all back in early in the week, and I'll also sticke a new filter on as the old one looks a bit crappy. No leak either, so I'm optimistic that it is problem solved.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Andy

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
A quick update.

Fitted pump back in the van this afternoon. The good news was that we no longer have exploding water. The bad news was that with a full flow of water through the pump the leak was obvious. Rather than just buy a new one or take on a 500 mile round trip to the dealers, I decided to have a go at fixing it.

So, stripped the pump down, gave all the pumping bits a clean (there was a bit of a film covering a lot of the surfaces. Dried it all thoroughly, reassembled pump, making sure not to get any water in the solenoid end of things and applied a smear of sealant round the edge of the diaphragm.

Run the pump in the kitchen as before, no leak, so I crimped the end of the hose to pressurise the outlet side. No leak. Re-fitted pump and run the taps. No leak and no exploding water.

Bit chuffed, fixing it myself is a very satisfying feeling. Plus, together with a couple of other teething problems, it has given me a real insight into how my van stuff works, where all the pipes and cables run and hopefully how to fix stuff in the future.

Andy

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Well done, it's a great feeling when it all comes together!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Exploding water? That is water fill point not petrol one,you know

It sound like the pressure vessel is empty and giving no damping. Or in a domestic system it is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back