Another Expensive day at the NEC (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Just wondering if your new van will be liable for the higher taxation?

Also wondering if other Funsters have purchased a van subject to the new VED rates?
Yes it will, it will be one of the new Ad Blue Fiats. Some of the dealers at the show did have a few of the existing vans left in stock that would be at the existing rates, but these were few and far between.
So, although AT will be kindly paying the first years higher amount of tax, we will still be hit with the higher amount of £400+? For years 2 to 5, before it then drops right down.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Looking at the new higher VED for vehicles over £40k it appears that it is nothing to do with controlling emissions, it's actually a LUXURY tax but as it was introduced by the Tories they cant call it that! Imagine the Daily Heil outrage if Corbyn had proposed such a scam?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Motor Home
Two words, two items.
I wonder what the cost is for a wheeled chassis, half a cab and an engine ? Under £40 K ?
The 'Home' section would then be purchased separately.

Although, no doubt HMRC would then lower stamp duty down to match!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
I have been told that if a new motorhome is rear wheel drive it is except from the new higher VED, we have ordered a new Sprinter and the VED is £165 first year.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have been told that if a new motorhome is rear wheel drive it is except from the new higher VED, we have ordered a new Sprinter and the VED is £165 first year.
I can’t see that front or rear wheel drive makes the slightest difference to VED. If you got that from a dealer then I would be questioning everything else he told you because he clearly has no idea. The new VED system has been in place for cars for a while now and I haven’t seen any claims that a rwd BMW is cheaper to tax than a fwd Audi or Ford. If your new Sprinter based motorhome is in the old VED system it probably means that it is one of the 2019 models already in the system.

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I can’t see that front or rear wheel drive makes the slightest difference to VED. If you got that from a dealer then I would be questioning everything else he told you because he clearly has no idea. The new VED system has been in place for cars for a while now and I haven’t seen any claims that a rwd BMW is cheaper to tax than a fwd Audi or Ford. If your new Sprinter based motorhome is in the old VED system it probably means that it is one of the 2019 models already in the system.
You could well be correct, we ordered a Burstner Ixeo on the Ducato chassis with the higher VED but if I had ordered on the merc chassis is was £165.

Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp

From the Hymer stand at the NEC and when I checked all the prices board on the vehicle he was correct in what he told me.

Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
My Invoice states £165 VED just checked.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
If you have it uprated above 3500kg, does the tax still reduce..
(uprating subject to the driving license issues of course)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've noticed the new Wildax brochures now quote their prices as "ex-works" rather than as previously "on the road".
They've obviously decided they're not prepared to cover the cost of the new tax regime.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Is it possible that Hymer have a lot of Mercedes chassis in stock that they have put into "the system" to avoid the new taxes?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Is it possible that Hymer have a lot of Mercedes chassis in stock that they have put into "the system" to avoid the new taxes?
I agree, this is a far more plausible explanation. I am sure it has nothing to do with being front or rear wheel drive, to me that sounds ludicrous. There have been several threads on this topic over the last few months and no one has come up with this suggestion before. No mention of it in the parliamentary briefing, the DVLA responses or the dealer articles.

Mar 10, 2018
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Hymer 570 Crossover
Exp
If you have it uprated above 3500kg, does the tax still reduce..
(uprating subject to the driving license issues of course)
No the weight does not matter, I thought the same but it is not so.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It is bl○○dy scandalous when the government asks an Autotrail owner to pay a 'luxury' tax for their van; they'll need that hard earned money for repairs and leaks - poor sods!

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Just buy it and SORN it for 6 years ? { Joking }.
What You can do however is pay for road tax monthly and SORN it when not in use.
A bit like 'pay as you go' on the road.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why is it that one looses all sense of reasoning when at these type of shows

I thought all MHers knew that. Just as on motorway aires, they inject a gas into the aircon system.

It's called iGas, turns normal people into idiots.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have been looking at vans as you do and a dealer told me that a new van in stock wasnt subject to new ved. He also told me it was a 2019 model it turned out to be 2018 he told me it had solar I dont believe it does he also got weight wrong according to brochure. he also told me if I orderd same van brand new I could have to pay 10% extra tax because of Brexit.

I went to show to educate myself about this van we fancied and to look to see what else was about I looked at same van young salesman showed me around van and appeared to know his stuff said it was a stock model deffo 2019 but was same as 2018 model I looked at and it was subject to new Ved so how 2 differ I dont know. He gave me a price on my van chucked some extras in and further discounted price to pay the new ved charges. No pressure and offers good until van is no longer for sale no pressure to sign. (nice lad sounded a nice company he worked for would proberly do a deal with him i liked his attitude)

Looked at 2 other vans that floated our boats one make I have never heard of ( Le Voyager ) and a Dethleffs. spoke to sales people one was pushy thought i would sign just like tat on a whim 2nd person couldnt have cared less just answerd questions gave us a brochure and there card think we may be going to look at that van at the showroom next week slightly different layout.

How people can sign up on a whim for that kind of money I will never ever know I think and think and think. will haggle over every penny and worry about if im doing right thing. plus buying a motorhome thats cost more than my property dosnt feel right at all. And if the sales person is pushy I would walk away.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Bought a 2019 Burstner Iexo 736, on the Fiat 4000 kg heavy chassis. Euro 6.y tax is £165 for 12 months.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
It is bl○○dy scandalous when the government asks an Autotrail owner to pay a 'luxury' tax for their van; they'll need that hard earned money for repairs and leaks - poor sods!
It’s even worse when its a Swift ? Luckily I beat the scam thats the only reason I got it, apart from the maxi chassis and rear lounge ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Can you get them on a full-repairing lease?

Actually if any MH is leased or on HP how can DVLA charge the 'Keeper' extra luxury VED as they have not acquired a vehicle over £40,000.

I suppose that figure will not get updated so that more vehicles will fall above the figure year by year.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How people can sign up on a whim for that kind of money I will never ever know I think and think and think. will haggle over every penny and worry about if im doing right thing. plus buying a motorhome thats cost more than my property dosnt feel right at all.
We went to the Lincoln show just for a break and enjoyed it and had NO intention whatsoever of buying another MH/camper ... not even a smidgen of a chance ... BUT that was before we saw the Carthago Compactline models again! We'd seen one a few years ago and again when we bought our second Globecar but at the time were didn't want to go back to a 'coachbuilt' type body and loved our campers so it wasn't something we actively pursued. However, now we do longer and longer holidays away, and I DO suffer badly from the cold and want to do Scandinavian/colder climate countries, whilst the campers are good insulation wise they cannot compete with a fully winterised A-class, therefore when we saw the Compactlines at the show we decided to just 'have a look' as you do ... :whistle:

The model we had originally drooled over in the past with twin single beds was too long though ... the day before the show we'd just finished moving the fence at the end of the drive back to its original spot (making it shorter) so it was no longer able to take a MH longer than 6.4m! No way was I gonna move the ruddy thing again!!!

Having had a longer MH in the past (hence the fence being moved previously!) ideally we didn't want to go longer than we already had with our camper (6.36m), so we looked a the shorter one, the i-138 Carthago which is 6.41m. It still had 2 beds for when we wanted them instead of 2 singles and had a very, very similar layout to the first Globecar we had, a FamilyScout L with a front 'L' shaped lounge and rear transverse bed so we knew it would work for us.

We crawled all over one, checked out the spec, road tax situation, etc, etc, it was then down to deciding whether we really, REALLY wanted it or whether we should stick with our Globecar ... lots of pros and cons were discussed, with the only cons really being losing the rear doors and sliding door but by comparison to what we would gain (double floor, fully winterised, auto box etc) it didn't take long to realise it was a goer at the right price - they aren't cheap by any means but you do get what you pay for. We had the ability to buy one and after negotiating a deal with a good PX for our camper and extras we wanted it was feasible ... but WAS it the right decision ... we couldn't think of any reason why not ... we should get what we wanted ... what were we 'saving' our money for instead of enjoying it?

To cut a long story short we bought one and haven't regretted it for one minute.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
I think I might be tempted to SORN ours at every opportunity if we are unfortunate enough to get clobbered with the new VED rates.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I am sure that this type of thread has been posted many times on here before. We are at the NEC today for a look around, and nothing else!!! Or thats what we agreed at home last night.
However, 3 hours in, and we have just placed a deposit down on a New Van.
Why is it that one looses all sense of reasoning when at these type of shows, and the wallet seems to open up all to easy??
Anyway, we are very very happy with our new purchase. The deal they offered us on our existing Van, was just too good a price to turn down.
A similar thing happened to us. We needed a bigger waste bin for our Hymer, after looking at many bins with SWMBO, I got a bit fed up and wandered to a bar, after a bit of time and a pint or two SWMBO came back announced she had found and bought a new bin, the downside was it was attached to a new van. :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back