Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
Just a few words from us to introduce ourselves - be rude not to. We're from Worcester (UK) andcompletely new to MH'ing. However we have 15 yrs of touring caravaning experience both in the UK and France but that was 20 yrs ago. Now the children (34, 32 and 25) have flown the nest and we're semi-retred its time for a new adventure.
We're looking forward to collecting our 67 reg Bailey Autograph 79-4T on 2nd Sept and have secured a pitch on an amazing local site that we can use all year round.
Now the plan was to get used to, and bond with our new baby by using it in the UK to get used to all the basics gradually - ie driving it, setting up and understanding all the systems etc etc. However our daughter is on her way back to the UK from a 3 month Euro road trip in her van and wants us to meet up with her in our new van in mid Sept in Southern Belgium. When we told her that we'd be popping over to meet up with her in our car she wasn't best pleased so we caved in and agreed to take the van over to meet her after only 2 weeks of ownership!!!! This was not in the plan!! But hey whats the worst that can happen and I enjoy learning curves like the north face of the Eiger!!
So, although I'm sure there are sections of the forum for these questions can I ask..........
1) Can anyone recommend any must see towns in Southern Belgium as a lot of the places I've researched / googled look a little uninspiring. However we have identified Durbury / Namur / Mons / Dinant and Ypres as places we'd like to visit and they form a nice route back to Calais.
2) I've been quoted £402 (return) on the channel tunnel which is enough for a 6 day break so apart from playing with the times / dates to reduce the cost is there a way of significantly reducing the cost of getting to Calais as I'm sure most of you guys dont pay those prices??
So thats us and we're looking looking forward to endless rallies / socializing / BBQ's and filling the recycle bins cheers all :)
K & J

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
1565203256001.png

Welcome on board ....Kev and carolyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Not sure where you are in U.K., but you can get cheaper crossings by choosing late evening/ early morning times. It is very easy and safe to stop at the big shopping centre right by the Calais tunnel terminal so we usually go out late evening and stop overnight at the shopping centre called Cite Europe. Many GB motorhomes would be keeping you company.

Alternatively use Calais - Dunkirk ferry as you are going to Belgium. Again some bargains to be had at non peak hours. With the MH you don’t have to get to a site and check in etc.

It’s very easy to use your MH “over there”, much easier than in U.K. and much easier than finding somewhere to set up a Caravan !

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you like engineering projects, a good stop in Belgium is
Strepy-Thieu

where there is MH parking on the side of the canal and the most enormous boat lifts!

Just ask if you need coordinates for the aires.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you so much for the welcome and info and we're familiar with Cite de Europe near Calais if that's the shopping center you're referring to. I'll check out those other route options as we're pretty flexible.
Can I also ask......is there a way of editing your thread once its posted as no matter how many times I check it I always spot an errrror once posted!! Cant seem to see an edit post option like on other forums.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Don't be scared of heading abroad after just a couple of weeks of ownership; you'll be fine!

Four years ago we went to France for two weeks, just one week after purchasing our first MH; a 1986 Hymercamp 64. We did the same thing this year with our second MH; a 1996 Hymer E700. We had more problems in the newer one, but nothing insurmountable.

Make sure you have European breakdown cover and all the bits you need for France & Belgium (breathelisers, warning triangles, bulbs, hi-viz, research speed limits etc.). Don't stress if anything goes wrong, roll with the punches, and have a great time!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome to FUN, best thing we ever did after getting our MH, having been tuggers before that.
If you want to Edit your post, then you have an hour or so do it after posting by hitting the Edit button at the bottom left of your post. Do any corrections then click on SAVE.
Your edited post will then appear, we all have to edit our posts at some time or other, but you have to do it inside the one hour posting window.
Have a great time in Belgium, pump up your tyres as the roads are renowned to be full of pot holes, even worse than ours!
Check out discounted ferry prices from/via Caravan Club (CMC)if you are members, or the CCC.

Have fun out there.
Les & TinaL

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Over the water is much easier than here so enjoy, the best way to save on the tunnel is tesco points if you shop at tescos or have a tesco credit card

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Ferry - Dover to Calais is normally good value. You can stay legally overnight by the port just off the main road for free and get the early ferry as it's much cheaper than the tunnel. Dunkirk is worth a stop on the way. It has a great prom and a newly refurbed WWII museum that's well worth a look as well as a big flea market on Saturday's. Have a great trip!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Dover to Calais overnight is cheaper, Camping Jeudstadion phone number +32 57 2172 82 for Ypres/Leper is the perfect place for easy access to Ypres, best to book in advance.
:welcomesign:to the bright side.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome !
Some really useful answers already and if we do Belgium we always stay at Ypres on the campsite , best to book !
Have a great trip. w2f

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys - apologies for not getting back sooner but I've been trawling through just one of the 4 owners manuals! I really should have done that degree in Astrophysics as it might have helped to understand the complexity of modern MH's systems. Not like my old tourer!!
Thank you all for all the invaluable information. I cant thank you individually but all your comments have been taken on board - brilliant and thanks for taking the time and making us feel one of the gang!.
Ypres is an absolute must see as we're so close and thanks Tucano for the phone number. Been trying to get there for years so we'll be calling in for sure. Cheers.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
ps......still cant see the edit icon on the bottom left of my post. I only have 'Report' icon with the bell symbol on the bottom left and the 2 quote icons on the bottom right. I'm using Google chrome if that makes a difference. I've used forums for years posting images etc etc so do have some idea........or so I thought. Frustrating.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
A very warm welcome.

In a vaguely similar way, I think we did about a week in the UK when we got our first van just to check everything worked, then hopped onto a ferry to Spain for a month there in the winter. All went swimmingly.

As far as Belgium goes, I can definitely vouch for Dinant and Namur (Namen), although that was admittedly a long time ago.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
ps......still cant see the edit icon on the bottom left of my post. I only have 'Report' icon with the bell symbol on the bottom left and the 2 quote icons on the bottom right. I'm using Google chrome if that makes a difference. I've used forums for years posting images etc etc so do have some idea........or so I thought. Frustrating.
:welcome3:
You may find you don't have an editor rights until you are a subscribed Funster for the princely sum of £15. You'll only have 5 posts for your current intro status. Even when you are a Funster the editor is only there for a limited timeframe else all sort of people create chaos by changing posts well after a conversation has passed them by.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Haha!! All signed up and paid up and now I can see the "edit" button:LOL: but I'm sure there are more advantages than that ......just dont know what they are:rolleyes:.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Haha!! All signed up and paid up and now I can see the "edit" button:LOL: but I'm sure there are more advantages than that ......just dont know what they are:rolleyes:.

Gotcha! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back