Another Ebay scam? (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
E-bay is pretty good. I am awaiting a new shower unit, £320 RRP, I've paid £130. All above board.

Take a bit of care and save ££££££££££
Exactly.

It's all about using a bit of basic common sense really. Fake eBay emails are easy to spot. If you suspect any, have a look at the email header content to find its origin. Do not reply to them but forward on to eBays Customer support along with the header and ask them to verify.

When buying it's worth checking out the sellers feedback history. Ignore the 100% rating as everyone now has that since eBay recently changed the method of feedback, but read a few of the comments left. This will give you an indication of the sellers authenticity and efficiency.

When selling, always obtain proof of postage for each item. It's only a receipt but proves that you have mailed that item to the buyer......it does not guarantee it's delivery. Depending on the item value it is always worth considering mailing 'signed for'. Some traders now send all their items out as Signed For.

99.9% of eBayers are honest folk and you will experience good trading. In almost ten years of using eBay I have experienced less than half a dozen 'nasties' and two of those were avoided as I managed to 'smell a rat' before I became too far involved.

This thread concerned a suspect vehicle being advertised which everyone got into a paranoid frenzy about. When considering any vehicle off eBay......email the seller first and ask where you can view it. If they cannot supply an address, don't bother looking any further. If they do supply an address and you go, check that address matches the one on the V5. If it doesn't......walk away.

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

Update : Spoke to the dealer, and this isnt the first time this (fake) ebay advertisement for the same motorhome has been on there. He said its a women from Barcelona, Spain , nabbed their photos off their web site ! :Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi

Update : Spoke to the dealer, and this isnt the first time this (fake) ebay advertisement for the same motorhome has been on there. He said its a women from Barcelona, Spain , nabbed their photos off their web site ! :Angry:

Do we condemn her or salute her ingenuity ?

She's no worse than several hundred con men working in Westminster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Thats not quite correct. What else can you do when the seller states 'pick up only'?

I've bid on, won, and paid for quite a few eBay items which involved making contact 'outside' of the normal payment procedure. If the seller isn't genuine then the worst that can happen is they fail to turn up.
One thing for sure......you won't be losing any money.

You'll be losing money if you have to travel far:Doh:

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You'll be losing money if you have to travel far:Doh:
Well i suppose some folk still expect everything to drop on the doormat without ever having to shift their arse. Even a couple of miles is 'too far' for some. :RollEyes:

If it involves any distance, you have to ask yourself 1) do i want whatever it is bad enough, and 2) am i prepared to travel. If the answer is 'no' to either of those, then you don't bother bidding. And if you can't trust the seller to turn up, then you won't be bidding at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
As long as you keep your wits about you there are bargains galore to be had on eBay. If you don't feel comfortable, seek help from an experienced eBayer.

Steve

Thank you Steve, I am sure there are some good bargains on there, and TBH I don't object to the pricipal of E-bay at all, how I wish it had been available to me in my younger days ::bigsmile:

Maybe one day I might have a go, and as you are obviously experienced I might seek help from you too, won't be anytime soon 'tho as I'm still out of UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back