Another crazy French idea (1 Viewer)

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Why one or the other I think both would be a good idea. I also think cyclists should have compulsory third party insurance. I suppose the only argument against cyclists having increased rules in this context is that they're the ones getting the injuries but with cyclists and pedestrians it's a different matter.
Most cyclists have insurance, its part of the public liability section of their household policy, apart from those that also have 3rd party cycle insurance. Its also another red herring, motor vehicles have to have insurance by law but how many don't.

Those that care, take care, those that don't will never care no matter what tbe law says.

Just like the Covid regulations, but that's another argument I have heard somewhere :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In France, all vehicles over 3.5 t must be labelled with these "beautiful" stickers from 1 January 2021. Rear and sideways.

Also, I don't think a sticker will curb the passing of squeezing at traffic lights

• 28101-dsr-angles-morts-car-exe-cmjn-jpg
Maybe it will go the same way as the breathalyser?

I have only read p. 1 (difficult to believe a thread started this a.m. is onto p.4 already)

If I am reading the labels correctly they are warning about the yellow areas shown not the black.

Several posters have referred to vehicles squeezing up the sides of vehicles, i.e. in the black areas.

All vehicles of any size have areas unseen to mirrors to the side, so why is it being mandated only for >3.5t? Also most vans below 3.5t have a dead area to the rear but are not included in the requirements.

It would seem that there are deficiencies in the legislation.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And as such they will suffer the full consequence of the law. Cyclists are immune. Who is the insurer of your bike liability? is it third party? or fully comp? Asking for a friend.
I saw an episode of 'Judge Judy' the other day where a cyclist had brought a case against a motorist, Judy said from the offset that she would normally 'assume' the motorist was at fault but fortunately the motorist had obtained the CCTV footage from a passing bus.

They were at a cross-roads with traffic lights, the lights changed and the motorist pulled away going south to north, just before he got half way across the cyclist shot out from the west (left road) obviously going through a red stop sign that he'd ignored. The cyclist managed to place himself right in front of the motorist when they both reached the other side of the junction and was knocked off but fortunately the motorist had pressed his brakes hard so the cyclist hadn't suffered any injuries but his bike was a bit worse for wear; if the motorist hadn't braked at all the cyclist would've hit the side of the vehicle and gone over the top, such was the speed he was travelling at.

The cyclist claimed the motorist should have been taking more care thus suing him for damage to his bike and a punitive award too due to him alleging the motorist should have been watching for others around him. There was no way the motorist could've seen the cyclist until after he'd legitimately set off, not to mention that the idiot would not only go through the red light but do so at such a high speed trying to 'beat it'. The upshot was that Judy found quite rightly in favour of the motorist. I know there are case where the motorist is at fault but this just goes to show it's not always the case.

I have ridden bikes since I was able to pedal (I used to have a lovely tipper cycle as a toddler which I loved :inlove:) and although I don't do it much now (I'm too lazy :giggle:) I have and will ALWAYS put the responsibility for my safety on my own shoulders, no-one else's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Absolutely right same with HGV ,if you drive professionally you also need DCPC but can drive a MH on a truck chassis with no further traning !!
Not quite. Driver CPC involves strapping loads, searches for stoways etc. None of which applies to motor homes..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not quite. Driver CPC involves strapping loads, searches for stoways etc. None of which applies to motor homes..
Have you seen what some people take away on holiday with their MHs, not to mention the stowaways that are found on the way home trying to hide underneath, in garages, under bike covers ... :giggle:

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I all
Not quite correct if you hold an hgv for hire reward you need Dcpc and as the operator or training provider you can have bespoke courses approved for your operation eg. Tippers , tankers and why would you train for stow always if your not doing international journeys ? More chance of a motorhome having stowaways coming from the holiday in France than a UPS driver delivering parcels in the uk.! Infact SQA are tightening up on courses so you cant do the same module as some do now eg ADR x5 times.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I all

Not quite correct if you hold an hgv for hire reward you need Dcpc and as the operator or training provider you can have bespoke courses approved for your operation eg. Tippers , tankers and why would you train for stow always if your not doing international journeys ? More chance of a motorhome having stowaways coming from the holiday in France than a UPS driver delivering parcels in the uk.! Infact SQA are tightening up on courses so you cant do the same module as some do now eg ADR x5 times.
Don’t know who SQA are but we’re in the process of getting a new course approved for driver CPC. The governing body is JAUPT for driver CPC in the U.K.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
People has such a twisted view of those who choose not to travel by motorised means yet can anybody find a case of a cyclists k
Yes plenty .knee deep in them .
art from holding miles of traffic up (because they want a chat)? here is another view:

How they can find that as not cycling furiously or recklessy when if you drive a disabilty scooter at the higher speed rather than the 4mph legislated you are fined for speeding, defies belief-
Hope fully the terminally ill pensioner will sue him.

Of course you can find instances where cyclists are to blame, I was waiting for that one, but how many instance are there of motorist?
yes but they are doing it legally ,in the road.

Here's one for balance. How many would you like me to find
As above.
but what about the driver of the other vehicle who perhaps suffers mental trauma as a result of the infringement?
The only mental trauma I would suffer would be the damage to my vehicle, how long it is going to take to repair, how long & what am I going to have to do to get the money out of the **** to pay for it?🤬

How would you expect a 3yr old to get a registration for their bike.
the same way as the parents would be fined with him failing to stop at a stop sign .They do it.

That's true, unfortunately the vehicles don't read the signs when when they get too near other more vulnerable roads users
Why should they ? I don't blame the vehicle ,whatever it is when , as a pedestrian , I am crossing the road illegally & may be get hit? It would be purely my fault for being negligent.

Wrong! People get p***ed off sitting in traffic for a couple of bikes having a chat or thinking it's PELETON!

You left out or riding no hands whilst conducting a conversation on there mobile phone.

Most cyclists have insurance, its part of the public liability section of their household policy,
Don't trust to it if you cycle here then as many spaniards don't have any house insurance.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Jaupt run the DCPC and approve courses correct.Scottish qualifications authority approve ADR . I have had courses approved around my operation and because we carry Dangerous goods we have an Adr module.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A point raised several times is filtering
While it is legal to do so in the UK, in Germany ( to name but one ) it is completely illegal for both motorcycles AND pedal cycles
Although not illegal in France as such, filtering can and does attract the attention of the boys in blue and you can be done for 'mauvaise technique de conduite', literally translated as poor driving technique.. though you are more likely to get a tug and slapped wrist than actually prosecuted

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
A point raised several times is filtering
While it is legal to do so in the UK, in Germany ( to name but one ) it is completely illegal for both motorcycles AND pedal cycles
Although not illegal in France as such, filtering can and does attract the attention of the boys in blue and you can be done for 'mauvaise technique de conduite', literally translated as poor driving technique.. though you are more likely to get a tug and slapped wrist than actually prosecuted
I’ve ridden my motorbikes a lot in France and I’m always impressed how car drivers give room to allow filtering, I’ve even had a police car move over out of the way.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I’ve ridden my motorbikes a lot in France and I’m always impressed how car drivers give room to allow filtering, I’ve even had a police car move over out of the way.
Spot on.. but... it is still iffy.
I suppose it depends on lots of things, are you generally behaving your self, did the cop get his coffee, etc etc :)

I have been tugged in England for filtering before now... equally I have filtered for miles and miles in Germany without issue ( but watch out. old school German drivers have been known to open a door just to stop you !!! )

Travelling_ch

Free Member
Jan 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Thor ACE
Exp
Since 2018
In France, all vehicles over 3.5 t must be labelled with these "beautiful" stickers from 1 January 2021. Rear and sideways.

Also, I don't think a sticker will curb the passing of squeezing at traffic lights

• 28101-dsr-angles-morts-car-exe-cmjn-jpg
Maybe it will go the same way as the breathalyser?
Any idea how I can get hold of them in Spain

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve ordered a pack of 3 from Amazon, delivery in about 2 weeks. Also ordered a new G.B. plate, just to be on the safe side. Will need to do some research as to where to put the the ‘angle mortes’ stickers

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Similar to the bus and LGV signs in the UK, one useful thing is when the cyclist or small car ignores or is ignorant of the risk, it aids in an insurance claim to point out you did your very best to alert the driver impaled on the roundabout railings. To be serious if one person takes not and it saves injury or worse it must be a idea worth embracing.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve ordered a pack of 3 from Amazon, delivery in about 2 weeks. Also ordered a new G.B. plate, just to be on the safe side. Will need to do some research as to where to put the the ‘angle mortes’ stickers
I know where I'd like to stick 'em
o_O

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you think I’m going to be sticking those ugly things all over my lovely van you can have another think.
I see on other groups that the regulations do apply to motorhomes but whether they are required on vehicles registered in other countries I’m not sure.

Might be having another look at 360° camera systems again.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back