geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
hi sorry to ask, thinking of buying a bicycle carrier to fit on the back of the van. I dont have a towbar, so it will be one that screws to the back panel, my question is how hard are these to fit. Some prices ive seen are hundreds which seems expensive.

Is it just a case of nut and bolting it on

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend on your back panel, can you get inside to bolt right through and do you need something to hang your coat on in the bedroom.

Make sure it is sealed to keep water out.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The Fiamma style racks are not cheap and do have to be fitted ensuring that they are mounted via secure framing within the walls of the van. Also need to ensure they do not foul any fittings already on the rear of the van (EHU/toilet cassette etc). Also the height can be an issue if you have to lift a bike onto the rack. I prefer a bike rack that fits onto a tow bar, mine cost less than £20. Although fitting a tow bar may be more expensive it can also be more versatile and easier to load.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
The Fiamma style racks are not cheap and do have to be fitted ensuring that they are mounted via secure framing within the walls of the van. Also need to ensure they do not foul any fittings already on the rear of the van (EHU/toilet cassette etc). Also the height can be an issue if you have to lift a bike onto the rack. I prefer a bike rack that fits onto a tow bar, mine cost less than £20. Although fitting a tow bar may be more expensive it can also be more versatile and easier to load.

Thought about that but again prices for towbar are huge, i may have to resort to putting the bikes in the van with me.

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Trust me, you will regret that decision to put the bikes inside, think about it, how muddy your bikes get after cycling in the rain/mud/grass etc. add to that the inconvenience of pushing past the bikes to make a cup of tea when you stop on a long drive plus the problem you will have trying to open a cupboard/toilet door and remember, the older you get the heavier the bikes seem to become! Do the job right, fit a Towbar (adds value to your van) plus go on ebay or even Halfords and get some info./prices on the towbar bike carriers especially the ones you can take off easily and put in the van when you don't require them. How do I know this? simples! I did exactly what you are thinking of doing when we first started motorhoming 4 yrs. ago and regretted it on the very first trip (to France) and as my co-manager told to me in that voice she keeps for Jehovah Witnesses and Sola Panel Salemen 'Now will you believe me?'

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
regretted it on the very first trip (to France) and as my co-manager told to me in that voice she keeps for Jehovah Witnesses and Sola Panel Salemen

There is no necessity for that sort of behavior. You would have been quite justified at leaving her and her bike right there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hi sorry to ask, thinking of buying a bicycle carrier to fit on the back of the van.

Stock answer here, see Johns Cross on the front page, give them a ring for free advice and FUNster pricing. They will know exactly what you need to do to fit one.

On my screen it's directly on the RHS now.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If you do go down the towbar route I have a Atera Strada DL2 for sale as my new van has a garage, its in perfect condition. The RRP is £400, the Roofbox Company has them for sale at £325 so will let it go at £225.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi think if i were buying the fiama for back of MH i would have it fitted for what it costs at least that way if anything happens it wont be your fault.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I emailed Burstner who sent me the drawing of the rear panel construction, showing where the wooden joists are fitted then mounted the Fiamma carrier onto these.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back